Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Snowbird's Resurrection

Hybrid View

Default Snowbird's Resurrection

By you all probably gathered by now, my knowledge in post-volume 2 Alpha Flight appearances is somewhat limited. I'm wondering, and hoping that in recent appearances, since the resurrection of Snowbird in Wolverine 143, has any writer taken the initiative to correct the HUGE holes explaining her rebirth?

For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about:

-Snowbird died
    -Walter Langkowski's spirit inhabited her dead body becoming Wanda Langkowski.
    -Snowbird's spirit descended from the heavens transforming Wanda's body into that of a man, an exact copy of his old (now dust) body.
    -Alpha Flight finds Snowbird in an AIM lab
    - Walter explains that her divine nature has cause her remains to generate in a form of a hyper-healing factor...

see any problems there? Oh yah! There are no remains, because Walter is wearing them!...*sigh*

I really hope someone has found an explanation that fits history a little better. If not....PLEASE SCOTT, FIX IT!!!

Ben

No, I don't think anyone's willing to even get in the same zip code with that plotline.

Suzene

Frank Tieri added some detail to it in Wolverine #172 with "Surely the Northern Gods did not orchestrate Snowbird's resurrection only to have her fall to the likes of you!" (against the Mauvais Wendigo)

Thanks Phil, I guess it's enough to instill a grain of hope

I work on the principal that A.I.M managed to aquire some of Snowbirds DNA, cloned and then fastgrew the resulting cell cluster. Now as Walt is wearing Snowbirds original body, I can only hazard that A.I.M may have some of her childs genetic material, this would only work if we believe the child to have super powers of some type. Given that the Gods where willing to accept the babies soul, but not Dougs due to his being mortal, this would suggest that the babe was like his mother, more godlike than mortal.

Anyways, the gods saw Snowbirds cloned body at A.I.M and infused it with her soul, before the clones mind could be used and manipulated by them.

All of the above is pure supposition, but who gives a monkeys, it sounds a tad better than Larsens take on the subject, which IMHO, has more holes than a minging pair of boxers being used as the main course at a moth banquet.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

So like all clone stories it is a mess.
    Richard Vasseur

Yep, Birdy's presence goes against a lot of established history.

My best guess for explaining her cloning is that they took DNA from Walt.

I wouldn't be suprised that on a genetic level Walt more of Narya than we know. I could see Dept H in it's conspiratorial mode taking some cell samples of Walt and seeing if they could find the goddess in the genome.

Maybe an AIM mole in H took the research and bolted ( or Dr. Huxley perhaps?) and that explains why Alpha was investigating their actions anyway. H knew that AIM had taken some research, but withing the labrynthine layers of secrecy they couldn't figure out just what was stolen.

Narya, far off in the realm of the North Gods, sensed the cloned body and moved to take it over.

Narya I hope even in a cloned body her spirit will not have changed. I want to see the quick woman that can change into a wild animal and rip you apart if necessary.
    Does everyone else remember the great drawings of her in white bear form fighting a white great beast in a snow storm? A cheap way to make a comic with white pages of art but it was really done well.
    Richard Vasseur

Yes, that issue was brilliant! If I remember correctly it was done as Asisstant Editor month or some such thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Ben
    Yes, that issue was brilliant! If I remember correctly it was done as Asisstant Editor month or some such thing...
    Yup, that was the month when Hembeck did a Spidey issue, every title had a strange feel to it. Snowbird against Kolomaq was the first AF issue I saw on the just in shelf, I started picking up AF our months later.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Yes that issue is probably my favorite one. I thought it was a brilliant idea. You always hear about a polar bear in a snow storm and someone drawing it so they did.
    Richard Vasseur

As much as I liked Snowbird, I still think the resurrection was a bad idea. The root of the problem is the disdain Mantlo exhibited about the original team. It seems he killed Snowbird and used her body elsewhere to make sure she could never return.
    I am with the AIM clone theory, as it is the only was to make sense of the new personality as well.

New personality? Do you mean in the latest series? Issues 1 and 2 haven't shown her with a new personality. # 3 isn't out here yet.
    Richard Vasseur

I could be wrong on this, but as far as I know, since Larsen did his thing, no one has really written Snowbird in depth. Most of her appearences have been an "in the background" kind of way. So far she hasn't done much in vol #3 but hang around and be captive, so I'm not sure where this new personality concept is coming from.
    Del

The only sign of Narya having a new personality has been her recent appearance in X-Men Unlimited, under Chuck Austen's pen, where Mac and Heather saw the birth of their daughter. And her personality was different. She was a LOT more compassionate, and she used the phrase "Oh, God" twice... something Narya would never do.

However, this isn't a new personality. This is a crappy writer not doing the proper research (as per always, in Austen's case), and writing female characters inappropriately as he is wont to do.

Oh, and a question... why would Narya move to take over a clone body? What purpose would that serve?