Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Zed Flight, My Arse!!

I tottally agree Sylvie. Like you said, Rouleau had a very different style, and on first glance I really didn't like it. However after one issue of his art, I was hooked on it. He REALLY knew how to use his art to tell the story. I'd rather have that than an artist with perfect looking figures, all standing around in the exact same position all the time But I'm definately not a v.2 knocker, I liked it, and was looking forward to the direction it was taking. Marvel did a very poor job of promoting it, and I think Seagle streached the conspiracy theory on a little too long. He should have ditched the micronaughts story in favour of wraping up the evil department H in #12.

It's the same thing that I like about Clayton's art. He's wonderfully expressive with his art, even if it is a little more cartoonie than I usually go for. I think it's great now, and Scott says it gets even better!

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by syvalois
    I started liking vol2 when Rouleau came on bord. Seagle seems to have better stories and even if Rouleau art was strange, it was powerful.
    Exactly how I felt, Sylvie. Rouleau did an excellent stint on X-Factor, and I think his style clicked with Alpha Flight even more. It made the story that much more compelling. And Seagle tells a GREAT story. I was totally hooked on the conspiracy angle, which is already a difficult sell because not many people are going to look at a Canadian government being so suppressive and manipulative and downright evil for evil's sake very seriously. But I loved every minute of it. And I honestly wouldn't mind in the least if Radius, Murmur, Flex, Ghost Girl, and Manbot all joined the new Alpha Flight. Just imagine the fireworks. You know Yukon Jack and Radius would probably beat the crap out of each other. Murmur would probably try to get it on with Major Mapleleaf (in which case, I'd have to kill her). And I'd just DIE if Centennial started referring to Manbot as "that there do-hickey"!

Default MCP

A return of Marvel Comic Presents is an excellent idea. Though I think maybe what Marvel should do is develop an actual anthology magazine like Heavy Metal. Put four or five stories in it, most of them being
    multi-parters that they can repackage after the fact as trades and see about getting this into the magazine distribution networks.

Years back, Marvel gave us the Epic line, whic was stories outside the MU, they were suppose to be donig the same thing this year, individual stories from up and coming writers, Marvel pulled the plug before the new epic line even saw print. Joey the Q was a bit pussy on this.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

After the dissapointment of series 2 (Though I bought it and read it anyway) I'm just thankful we are getting a NEW series at all at this stage. I am very excited about the prospect of an Uncanny Alpha Flight which would basically be the original Alpha team of old from series one and letting the ANAD book do it's own thing with mutual cross overs into eachother... lets have DOUBLE the Alpha Flight if we can!

Already I prefer the Art work in series 3 to the second series... thankgod we have returned to art sanity! I just want ANAD to last beyond the 18 issues of series 2 and to see some kind of Uncanny AF!
    An all new Alpha Flight? "You gotta be kiddin me!"

here's hoping Scott let's us know when he gets word back from Marvel! I'm anxious to know what they have to say!

Pedantic Del, says that vol 2 lasted 20 issues (20 issues too many in my opinion )

Henry's art, totally compliments the light hearted AF we have at present. Rouleau never did it for me.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Quite right Del ... pedantic Syd recalls he gave up at issue 18 ...

Quote Originally Posted by Syd
    Quite right Del ... pedantic Syd recalls he gave up at issue 18 ...
    Couldn't you cope for two more issues ? The last two issues are probably the best of Volume 2, putting Weapon X (XV11) or whatever version aside, the last two issues have the proper team. :P
    Del

Availability Del ... I found out about AF Series 2 posthumously and had to dig around comic store sale bins to get 14 issues of AF 2 I have now... I exhausted every place in my country before it became clear that I wouldn't find the other issues... so the story for me ended at 18...hence my comments.

I'll try and order them from some online comic store eventually... it was getting quite good towards the end, I agree.

I should have read your bio (Australia obviously has taste ), honestly, IMO vol 2 was not all I would have liked, the stories of Alpha after vol 2 finished are a lot better than anything we saw there. Having read vol 2 sequentially, it was a huge disapointment and vol 3 (IMHO) is ten times better.
    Del

It might be that I'm the only one in OZ that has taste as from 1983 when I picked up issue 1 to this day, I have yet to meet another soul in OZ that ever knew of, or collected Alpha Flight! I'm sure they are out there but I feel amazed just talking to other people from other countries about AF let alone within my own milieu.

I agree about Series 2... it was the art work that really bothered me. There seemed to be no interest in maintaining any sense of continuity with the first series at all. I mean Sasquatch had those idiotic upside down sabre toothed tiger fangs and 19 year old Mac looked more like a member of something run by The Master than a defender of all thats good...he looked evil basically. Why would a team allow a 19 year old to lead it also? So many times in Alpha Flight we have read stories where discussions ensue about who has the maturity and balance for the leadership role ... then they make an evil 19 year old the leader? HUH?

Then there was Manbot! This was the worst insult to the memory of BOX ever created in the Marvel universe. Who thought that one up and allowed it past the breakfast table? And on...and on...and on... Puck didn't look right... and then they gave us Radius and Flex who I couldn't wait for them to kill off and Heather didn't look right either. There were so many chiselled angles on the characters faces that they looked more like Picasso rejects than Alpha Flight!

As I said ... thankgod for the return to ART sanity in the new series. I really like the way the new book is shaping up.

It might be that I'm the only one in OZ that has taste as from 1983 when I picked up issue 1 to this day, I have yet to meet another soul in OZ that ever knew of, or collected Alpha Flight! I'm sure they are out there but I feel amazed just talking to other people from other countries about AF let alone within my own milieu.
    Within Oz, there are two at least that I'm aware off, Sengsterooney, who ran the original Net Alpha, and Mik Bennet who writes a pucker fanfic, oh and I had the joy of meeting him a few years back.l

I agree about Series 2... it was the art work that really bothered me. There seemed to be no interest in maintaining any sense of continuity with the first series at all. I mean Sasquatch had those idiotic upside down sabre toothed tiger fangs and 19 year old Mac looked more like a member of something run by The Master than a defender of all thats good...he looked evil basically. Why would a team allow a 19 year old to lead it also? So many times in Alpha Flight we have read stories where discussions ensue about who has the maturity and balance for the leadership role ... then they make an evil 19 year old the leader? HUH?
    That Alpha was never the Alpha that Mac envisaged, it was just a government tool and pseudo 'Prometheus Mac' yet another one.

Here's a little story, Scott Clarke, who did the art on the first five issues, originally proposed AF vol 2 to Marvel, his proposal was accepted, Seagle came on board and eventually Clarke was ****ed of and Seagle took over everything. Brian Hitch didn't even remember drawing #6

Then there was Manbot! This was the worst insult to the memory of BOX ever created in the Marvel universe. Who thought that one up and allowed it past the breakfast table? And on...and on...and on... Puck didn't look right... and then they gave us Radius and Flex who I couldn't wait for them to kill off and Heather didn't look right either. There were so many chiselled angles on the characters faces that they looked more like Picasso rejects than Alpha Flight! ?
    I don't mind Flex, best of a bad bunch, but Manbot , maybe a nice presursor to the Box guards we see in Weapon X, but a complete waste of panel space otherwise.

As I said ... thankgod for the return to ART sanity in the new series. I really like the way the new book is shaping up.
    I see AF vol 3 as Exorcist 3 (as in vol 2 never happened)
    Del

Within Oz, there are two at least that I'm aware off, Sengsterooney, who ran the original Net Alpha, and Mik Bennet who writes a pucker fanfic, oh and I had the joy of meeting him a few years back.l
    Oooohhh other Aussies eh? Where are these guys now by the way, it would be great to get in touch with them.

Seng is a member here, but posts infrequently ( I believe he lives in Perth) Mik posts to the Awaves yahoo group, but I haven't seen him here, I believe he's in the same city as your good self.
    Del