Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking Each Day As It Comes

Default Taking Each Day As It Comes

Purloined from 'All The Rage'
    http://www.silverbulletcomicbooks.com/rage/index1.htm
    ==================
    Flights of Fancy

Ever enthusiastic, Scott Lobdell told the Rage his contract on Alpha Flight has been renewed for another six issues, keeping the series around for at least 12 issues. “Along with the rest of the industry and the general public at large, I was excited to hear that the ALL NEW, ALL DIFFERENT, ALPHA FLIGHT has been extended another six issues after 1 - 6!” Lodbell said. “I keep saying "ALL NEW, ALL DIFFERENT" because I haven't given up on my one-man crusade to turn ALPHA FLIGHT into Marvel's next great franchise! Without giving anything away (because what we're planning has never even been attempted in comics before) I can promise that fans of ALL NEW, ALL DIFFERENT, ALPHA FLIGHT and the fans from John Byrne's original ALPHA FLIGHT, will be elated by the turn of events in AN/AD AF! I am writing it, and I can't believe I'll be allowed to get away with it! It may be the most outrageous over the top storyline I've ever had a part in — and considering I was involved with everything from GENERATION X to AGE OF APOCALYPSE to HEROES REBORN... that is saying a LOT!”

Scott paused momentarily from a lungful of air before continuing, “So to all you AN AD ALPHA FLIGHT fans out there - and I know your numbers are growing by the day - get out and support this book! It is the only way I'm ever going to get to spin off ZED FLIGHT... the POWER PACK-aged sub-division of ALPHA FLIGHT! Oh, and I should point out that issues 7 & 8 are going to be drawn by someone other than Clayton Henry. (And after seeing issues #3 and #4 already, I can't blame him at all! His art keeps getting more and more exciting with every issue! I'm telling you, he's going to be a superstar by the end of this series! Maybe sooner, considering this series isn't going to end! LOL!) The two-parter in between will be handled by someone else while Clay gets to really take his time with the thoroughly outrageous 4 parter.”

Before passing out from oxygen deprivation, Scott managed to pant out that he's also submitted a pitch for a six-issue UNCANNY ALPHA FLIGHT series.
    This Has A "Hyperventilating Hyperbole" Factor Of Eight Out Of Ten

=======================
    Issue #12 at least and a Uncanny (maybe ) What with the reasonable reviews for #2 etc, I'm getting the impression that AF could be a bit of a sleeper hit
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Maaaaan, this really pumps me up! To think that Scott has that much hope and that many plans for AF really excites me! Just think about it! Maaan, now I won't sleep!!!!!

* Faints from the overwhelming excitement *
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

*squeals*

LOVE Lobdell's enthusiasm (if only I could spell it!) and great news that AF has definitely been extended for another 6 issues. Can't wait to see what he's going to come up with...

Lets hope he takes those extra 6 issues and really makes an impression on new readers.

I'm psyched!

It would seem that there is some kind of rolling contract here, which means we won't be seeing any elongated Llan type stories lasting numerous issues. Four part arcs work just fine for the Authority, six parters are good too.

I'm more enamoured of the six part UAF pitch he has in there. Hopefully it will be allowed to run, then who knows
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Well, this looks rather promising Here's hoping I get a good summer job and can afford to buy Alpha Flight all summer! v_v;;

I would guess that if they give him one more renewal (after #12) then they will probably trust him well enough to take it to the next step.

I wonder who the guest artist will be...hopefully not somone bad, that would be quite detrimental to the series.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by DelBubs
    It would seem that there is some kind of rolling contract here, which means we won't be seeing any elongated Llan type stories lasting numerous issues. Four part arcs work just fine for the Authority, six parters are good too.

I'm more enamoured of the six part UAF pitch he has in there. Hopefully it will be allowed to run, then who knows

Cripes, do you all remember Power Pack??? They were so EIGHTIES!!! I wonder where they all are now??? Del, I expect you to know the answer

I collected powerpack when I was a kid. They were great! I was especially happy when Marrina showed up in 2 issues That brings up the fact that they were quite young in the comics, I think Alex (the oldest) was probably 16 when the series ended, and the little Katie was no older that 8 when it ended. So if Scott is talking characters that young, who fits in? The first ones that come to mind are Laura and Goblin. Kara was 13 when the she was first introduced, so she's prably 17 or 18 now...jeez, most of the "younger members" don't fit that profile...unless Scotts makes they younger...but he seems to follow continuity well so I can' t see that happening

I loved Goblyn and Laura (Pathway), let us hope that they don't give them those awful costumes that they had later on - they reeeeked!!!!

I remember they had Power Pack as a back up strip in the UK printing of Secret Wars II (as well as the origins of Alpha Flight!), weren't they given their powers by a strange white horse-headed alien???? Do we know what became of the Pack in the end?

Power Pack had a 3-ish miniseries in the mid-late 90's (about the time of AFv.2). it depicted Alex as 16, Julie as 15, Jack as 13 and Katie as 10. Not really too sure what happened in the mini, but it deals with PP's last confrontation with the Snarks. To my knowledge, they are still around, but not sure of their powers. Oh and Kofi (if you ever read the last year or so of PP, you'd know he's Whitey's (the horse-headed alien that gave the Powers their ... powers!) nephew) makes an appearance, but not sure on the extent of it (I only have iss #1 and 2)
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

Alex at one point was a member of the New Warriors, he stole his siblings power and called himself Powerhouse. He had quite a few adventures with the Warriors. For a more in depth explanation of what they did, who they did it too and why, check out

http://marvelbook.topcities.com/teams/ppack.htm which is a great resource site.
    Del

Wasn't the Richards child, Franklin, a part of the team once? Bits keep coming back to me. I seem to remember that they all swapped powers at one point or something!

Btw, thanks for the link and the info - will check it out

Originally Julie was known as Light Speed, Jack as Mass Master, Alex as Gee (supress a smile here "Oh look, whats that in the sky?", "Gee!, it's Gee. Don't think so! ) and "KatieBear' was known as 'somthing else'. The first series upto probably 25-26 was really good stuff, I stopped collecting around then. Alex went to the Warriors and they tried to set up some inter family conflict, with him having stole the powers etc. (Never caught my interest)

Oh and at some point, Franklin did become a member, his power was soiling his diaper or something, actually it was an early manifestation of his psych powers, he took the name 'Daydreamer (?)'. Oh and later, somehow, he became older and created a team called 'Fantastic Force', which lasted a very short time.

I picked up #1 of the four part limited of Power Pack, and after reading it once, never picked it up again, it sits in my c*p*b*a*r* until I can find some mug who thinks I'm doing them a favour by giving it to them.

Oh and BTW, this is my 300th post, I have been discussing this post with Ben most of the evening. It was gonna be "The Mother of all Posts', Insightful, thought provoking etc...etc... Instead, I am waffling on about Power Pack, which will always have a certain place in my heart, because at the end of #11 vol 1 of AF, we have the classic image of AF and the text "And One Shall Surely Die' and on the other, an advert for #1 Power Pack. Some letter writer made some poignant comparison between the two images, in a later issue.
    Del