Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ben's Bit - Alpha Flight #2 Review

Quote Originally Posted by kozzi24
    The bit of paying Yukon's father was funny, but it also jarred me from the reality of the book. My first impression has been stated elsewhere: what's the father going to do with the money. Smart touch not to have colored it green. The joke jarred my "reality" of the comic world it was set in, something the very funny JLI never did.
    Not only was it not green, but it is a pretty accurate copy of the new 100 dollar bills that were minted within the month, (You can tell by the silver strip on the left side.) really up to date pencils and colouring there. A very impressive little detail.

I think it's makes sense because it's clear Jack's dad isn't on the level so he probably makes frequent excurrsions to the outside world. It even possibly sets him up as a future villain, what exactly does an amoral person like him do in the outside world?

I felt this issue was excellent, better than the first and the first was great. Alpha Flight is fast establishing itself as the best team book on the market. The humour was much more natural and most of the characters are really interesting me. (Reminds me of Wildguard in that regard, it's not about which characters I like, but waiting for that moment where I'll start liking the character. Where as most team books there are one or two characters at least that I don't care for, but I imagine that that won't be an issue here once we get a bit more characterization on them.)

A definate 8 or 9 out of 10 in my book.

Kozzi, I went back and looked at AF 1 and 2 and I don't really see where you think he looks short. I can't find any panels that're set up well enough to be able to compare height with other Alphans. There's a few where he looks about the same size as Major Mapleleaf, who's no lightweight himself, in my opinion. As for too skinny... well, I guess I just don't know enough about football players to really make a judgement. However, I wear a girl's 16 or a ladie's 0 and I'm only about 5 feet tall, and when I look at Walt, I do get the impression that he's a big guy. I guess it's all up to the way the reader interprets what he or she sees.

And I can't go to my reunion and look at the football players, we don't play football here

Ben, Halifax is a fun city I like it bacause I can walk anywhere I wanna go, as I am without car. It'll be great in the summer, I promise you! The waterfront comes to life, the busker festival is great.

I really dug this issue.

First off I found a new CB shop right around the corner from my house. W00T!

Anyhow, I really enjoyed the way Lobdell is setting up Nemesis. She was a great character to begin with and she's getting better with every frame shes in.

Yukon Jack is an intriguing character. Kinda reminds me of what Thor might have been if he was a pampered twit. I like it.

Well, I -finally- got issue 2, and have to honestly say that it is, by leaps and bounds, better than issue 1. The comedy of issue 1 felt like it was forced. Actually, everything about issue one felt forced to me. This issue really expands things and puts some of my doubts to rest (plus, it was nice to see the 'Classic' AF team again).

I'll keep buying it because it's Alpha Flight. And I'll love it if the stories are more fluidic, like in 2. Loebdell may have been an awful choice for vol.1, but he seems to be doing better with vol.3

Cheers,
    Mystic

A nice concise reasonable review at

The X Axis

=====================
    Sasquatch repeats his attempt to put together a new Alpha Flight, and this time everyone ends up joining - some more willingly than others. To be honest, this is the sort of story that might have worked better in a double-sized opening issue, since we're now a third of the way through the opening arc and we still haven't really established what the wider plot it (besides knowing that the rest of Alpha Flight have gone missing and Sasquatch is assembling a new team to rescue them). But it's worked reasonably well as an introduction for the new characters.
    =====================

I still ain't got the ****ing thing
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

I liked it a LOT more than the first issue, mainly because I got to see more Map'leaf, and I learned a little bit more about each of the characters (minus Centennial). I was very satisfied.

Another good review, it's gonna go to Lobdells head I tell ya

SilverBulletComics
    =====================
    However in spite of the familiar plot, I have to confess I did find myself quickly warming to this new group as they openly questioned the wisdom of sending them up against a threat that had managed to capture the original team, when they have zero experience, and are likely to be about as useful as an anchor on a sinking ship. Still, one has to imagine that Sasquatch was set free so he could gather up more victims, and watching how this new, untested group performs now that they've been sent tumbling out of the frying pan should be a lot of fun.

In any event this issue does suffers from the simple fact that the new characters still haven't emerged as anything all that interesting, as there's a detached quality about them that leaves me a bit cold. I mean perhaps this will improve when we start getting issues that offer up some internal character exposition, as right now the only character whose head we've been allowed to get inside is Walter's, and these scenes are entirely devoted to his thoughts of this new cast of characters.
    =====================

The Fourth Rail
    =====================
    A "Canadian" problem calls for a Canadian solution. In other words, there's NO explanation as to why this new team is necessary. Lobdell's script not only points out that lack of logic, but it makes note of the clearly gratuitous nature of Puck's ensemble. I find it odd that the writer acknowledges the plot's shortcomings rather than trying to correct them.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Quote Originally Posted by DelBubs
    The Fourth Rail
    =====================
    A "Canadian" problem calls for a Canadian solution. In other words, there's NO explanation as to why this new team is necessary. Lobdell's script not only points out that lack of logic, but it makes note of the clearly gratuitous nature of Puck's ensemble. I find it odd that the writer acknowledges the plot's shortcomings rather than trying to correct them.
    I've noticed one problem reviewers have, they are either unfamiliar with Giant Sized X-Men 1, or unaware that You've Got To Be Kidding Me is a parody of said comic. Why didn't Xavier ask the Fantastic Four or the Avengers for help? Why'd he travel the globe recruiting mutants from Russia, Japan, Africa etc and not just recruit American mutants, he had cerebro. Scott's make those previous plot holes obvious in Alpha Flight as a dig as GS X-Men.

I finally got it today. We all know the story, I like the art, it's cartoony, but's it's not making me reach for the sick bag, like Calimee and Roulleau's art did.

After picking up comics today, I wandered into a local hostelry and partook of a lager, while reading AF#2. I did exactly the same with AF #1, it's a nice habit and one I wouldn't enjoy, unless the reading matter made me laugh while at the same time not ridiculing the characters. Lobdells AF does this, more so #2 than #1, but it's much better than vol2 already IM...etc
    Del

Finding Our Audience at SilverBulletComics, a nice ariticle, with a positive mention of AF towards the bottom of the piece.

Forget these hot, new, creative teams, and their bold, new directions. Give John Byrne, Walter Simonson, Bob Layton et al back the reigns of the characters they helped shape in the Bronze Age and the 80s.

And most of all, tell the elitists to shut the **** up.

Or maybe I should? I don't know, you tell me. As usual, I'm very easy to get a hold of. If you don't want your letter printed in the column, please mark, "UNFIT TO PRINT." If you ever need anything about anything,...
    Del

Well I am still not sure if Marvel is totally serious with this new team or just kidding us with it. And they plan to replace it with the original team that was captured. Its hard to tell sometimes.
    Richard Vasseur