Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Marvel Swimsuit Special!

Quote Originally Posted by DelBubs
    Quote Originally Posted by suzene
    Which really is a shame, since the boy has a lot of generally wasted potential. Considering today's political climate, a well-thought-out tale paralleling Northstar's time with the FLQ would certainly be an interesting read.

Suzene
    Marvel Fanfare #28 tried to do just that, but it was a bit of a mish mash and probably did Northstar more damage than good.
    I've never read Marvel fanfare, but from what I saw in AF, I would avoid the FLQ history. I think it was a bad idea to begin with and it's usually badly exploited.

I'm with you Sylvie. I don't think that there is exploitation, but any writer is gonna emphasise and put forward his own take. Unless a writer is going to specifically do an unbiased historically correct take on a certain conflict, then I'm of the opinion they should leave it well alone.

Byrnes Pink Pearl story wasn't to bad, he used the FLQ connections as a back drop and not a focal pont of the story. However when you have John Francis Moore writing utter bollacks about the British army in Northern Ireland (X-Force), Mantlo writing the **** that was Marvel Fanfare #28, then historical fact becomes historical fantasy IMO.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Quote Originally Posted by DelBubs
    Which really is a shame, since the boy has a lot of generally wasted potential. Considering today's political climate, a well-thought-out tale paralleling Northstar's time with the FLQ would certainly be an interesting read.

Suzene
    Marvel Fanfare #28 tried to do just that, but it was a bit of a mish mash and probably did Northstar more damage than good.
    Ugh. Note I put in the 'well-thought-out' qualifier in there. MF #28 was definitely not what I had in mind.

Suzene

I still think that in a team comic Northstar if handled right could shine and not be forgotten in any shuffle.
    A second rate Quicksilver not really. Maybe because they both have white hair and speed powers but they do use their powers differently. And the light blinding power is different. Northstar flies. Actually now that I think about it their relationship with their sisters is similar, and both have a similar attitude, when attacking they use their powers similarly, Northstar can use his powers on the ground like when he did to win at skiing. He even objects to any of Aurora's boyfriends just like Quicksilver does with Wanda. I don't think he is a second rate Quicksilver but they are a lot a like.
    Richard Vasseur

Fanfare #28 was dodgy to say the least, gotta love the way that Mantlo did enough research to know about the Pink Pearl story, yet she still got referred to as Pretty Pearl in the Fanfare

However, the Diamond Lil hen night story #105 (sp), where she and the female members of the flight end up brawling at the night club and have to be bailed worked.

In regards to Fanfare, how hard would it be for any half decent copper to figure that NS may have been a member of Cell Combatre (sorry if I've screwed up the French again Sylvie ) considering that there aren't that many French Canadian speedsters about and that silly Scourge person had graphical evidence of a Speedster working as a runner for CC (not trying that French again)
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Cell Combatre
    Cellule combattre? fight cell? Do not sound so good in french and from my knownledge (wich is very limited every cell name was from a last name)

If you are looking for a hard name to pronounce in french try my french last name. I've heard maybe a half dozen people that can say it right.
    Richard Vasseur

Richard Vasseur, see, it's easy!!! Seriously, french is my first language so it's not hard for me, It's not something I'm used to see but easy to say

The correct way of saying my last name is a sound half way between sir and saur it is hard even for me to get right. I just use sir since its so much easier for other people.
    Richard Vasseur

Northstar was a great character, but everything else seems to have gotten overshadowed by the gay thing.
    Similarities with Quicksilver are TOO many. Also look at the fact that Northstar worked with FLQ, Quicksilver with Magneto's brotherhood. The personality similarities make sense. I think Peter David's psychoanalysis issue of X-Factor is the first step to establishing a speedster personality disorder in the Marvel Universe. It makes sense that people that can do things so fast would be perpetually impatient and a bit arrogant. Aurora fits the mold with aspects of her personalities as well. Further making sense of that is the fact that most other speedsters are villains.
    Northstar was a former terrorist with a childhood history of repeatedly losing parents, an unexplored origin, a tenuous relationship with a twin he was not raised with, multifacted powers that still have not been fully explored, and formative teen year history that has only been hinted at. There's enough there for the character to have his own book, and be something well beyond a second-rate Quicksilver.

Quote Originally Posted by kozzi24
    Northstar was a great character... [edited for space]...and be something well beyond a second-rate Quicksilver.
    Couldn't agree more!!

... Can't believe THIS is the post that gets me into Alpha Flight...
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

Quote Originally Posted by kozzi24
    Northstar was a great character, but everything else seems to have gotten overshadowed by the gay thing.
    Just like Kurt with the religious thing, Wolverine with the berserker thing, and Polaris with the crazy thing...zod forbid certain writers give their characters more than one personality trait. :P

Suzene

God forbid certain writers give their characters more than one personality trait. :P
    Or just give them TWO personalities like Aurora! (Although I was so sick of that by the end of the run that I just wanted her to be cured already!!! It was an interesting trait but was overplayed WAY too much, especially when new writers came on board and decided to undo what the last writer had done to her so she always ended up back at square one again!)

Quote Originally Posted by beetleblack
    Or just give them TWO personalities like Aurora! (Although I was so sick of that by the end of the run that I just wanted her to be cured already!!! It was an interesting trait but was overplayed WAY too much, especially when new writers came on board and decided to undo what the last writer had done to her so she always ended up back at square one again!)
    And how many times has poor JM been "cured", just to have some errant third (fourth, fifth, etc.) personality crop up? Someone needs to rope off that particular well before some other writer tries to go back to it.

Suzene

Quote Originally Posted by beetleblack
    And how many times has poor JM been "cured", just to have some errant third (fourth, fifth, etc.) personality crop up? Someone needs to rope off that particular well before some other writer tries to go back to it.

Suzene
    EXACTLY! Never mind roping it off, this character facet needs to be walled off with the biggest and hardest bricks possible and NEVER opened up again!!!! Surely this woman has suffered enough???