Thread: Lobdell's 'Flight' to The North

Default Lobdell's 'Flight' to The North

Originally posted by Brian E. Wilkinson at comixfan.com.
    http://www.marvel.com/news/index.htm...article_id=185

The style and tone for the series is described as a blending of serious action with a good dose of humour and pop culture references thrown in for good measure. The title of the first arc ‘You’ve Gotta Be Kiddin’ Me’ certainly seems to capture that high-energy spirit that Lobdell has been known to display.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Oh, gee, just what we needed. Yet another interview about the new Alpha Flight that says a lot but doesn't say anything at all. In my opinion, Lobdell (and Marvel) needs to start putting some real promotion out there about the series, or it's gonna get the ax. Marvel's just cruel like that. And I already love the new series too much to see it go the way of most of the Tsunami titles. Does anyone agree with me?

I get the impression that more people are aware of Vol 3, but if I was on the outside looking in, I wouldn't be quite sure of what to make of it. Plenty of publicity, but as you say, nothing really being said.

Oh and congrats on making it to Alpha with your posts
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

It wouldn't be as much of a problem if the series weren't getting totally roasted by critics. A LOT of comic fans read those reviews, and the vast majority of them are saying that the series is awful. The reviews alone are doing more for publicity than Lobdell and Marvel are doing. And that's not a good thing in this case.

I posted on a message board about the new AF and I have to say that most of the responses were negative - and I don't even think any of them had actually READ the book! Most people just wanted the original team back, so maybe with the original team appearing they may be tempted back?