Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who Or What Is Nemesis ?

Default Happiness

I am glad to see Nemesis back. I have always loved her. I hope we get to see her origin resolved. What I don't like is the device straped to her spine. This is a little like what happened to Mystique when they tried to control her. Nemesis can be made good and still keep her toughness. I hope in the future they remove the device.

Welcome aboard Nemesis,

I too quite like this character, and I really like how Lobell is working with her character.

If you want a little tidbit on her, if you didn't see the thread yet, have a look at this thread: http://forum.alphaflight.net/viewtopic.php?t=180

I also just uploaded my Nemesis Bio: http://www.alphaflight.net/character...sis/index.html

and should have her gallery up later tonight.

Ben

I like Nemesis to because I like a tough female character. One who is not afraid of anything. Plus I like swords and she has a nice looking costume.
    Richard Vasseur

Best thing about Nemesis is that she nearly puked when she sensed Major Mapleleaf approach. A hero who gets nauseous around pure goodness is funny. Not that she's a hero, her converstations with Walt show that. I just wish she and those around her didn't feel the need to mention that she's an anarchist every day. But I'm itching to hear more about her and her soulsword and such.

On another note those soulswords sure are getting common these days aren't they? Even Archangel has one.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Allan,
    You said somebody would correct you.

Here I am.

Deadly Earnest's first victim was some GI who helped him out of the pit of his Origin. Nemesis' mother (according to Mantlo, not Byrne) was his wife. When he got back from the war, he killed her accidentally when she hugged him. Presumably, he'd done a few people between, tho' they've never been mentioned specifically.

In her first appearance, Nemesis mentioned 'That my soul and that of my father may be laid to rest'; there was no talk at all of her mother. Mantlo later made her father Deadly Earnest; I would love love to know what Byrne had planned for her, but I doubt even he knows that now.

The Gamma Flight Nemesis, according to the letters page at the time, was a different woman. Her costume was 'a battlesuit, but in a weird way'. However, Lobdell has said, on the forum that's been posted, they are now the same woman. (Something I always dreaded, but knew would happen eventually.) The fact that the first talks about a 'holy quest' and the third constantly reminds us she's an anarchist would be contradictory if they're the same woman.
    The second's first name was given as Jane - again, on the forum, that's been explained away; 'Jane Doe'. Her real last name has to be 'St Ives', but I could believe her legally changing it; mother's maiden name, perhaps?

Powers? She can fly. That's -all- we've seen, but all three have done it.
    The sword, a combination of science and sorcery, is a weapon, not a power.

The previous is all in AF for any of us to see. Pure conjecture follows:

I've always thought of as vampiric. This is conjecture, but she could be a vampire, at least Byrne's version could be.
    But I've always had a vision of her stealing a portion of the powers of a vampire. So she has their taint, and some of their abilities, but not the Thirst. But I'm just romanticising.

- Le Messor
    "Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist ought to have his head examined."

Who is Nemesis? Why, that's easy. It's Jean Grey.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor
    Powers? She can fly. That's -all- we've seen, but all three have done it.
    The sword, a combination of science and sorcery, is a weapon, not a power.
    I was always under the impression that Nemesis ability to fly came from the sword and that if she didnt have the sword in her hand she wouldn't be able to fly. hmmm...

In regards to her 'holy quest' and her self-espoused anarchy... could they not be related? Perhaps it is Nemesis' holy quest to bring down the evils of man-made government (a motivation that I can certainly sympathize with, considering the times we live in)? I realize that I'm reaching into left field here, but I figured I'd throw that out there.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

A Holy quest implies religious belief of some sort. From her, it sounds Catholic, but it could be from any religion / domination.

An Anarchist accepts neither government nor religion.

- Le Messor
    "Archaeologists will date any old thing"

You don't have to be religious per se to embark on a holy quest... spiritual? Definitely. But religious? No. There is a very big difference between the two.

A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible ****... me.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor

The Gamma Flight Nemesis, according to the letters page at the time, was a different woman. Her costume was 'a battlesuit, but in a weird way'. However, Lobdell has said, on the forum that's been posted, they are now the same woman. (Something I always dreaded, but knew would happen eventually.) The fact that the first talks about a 'holy quest' and the third constantly reminds us she's an anarchist would be contradictory if they're the same woman.
    I disagree. I think that anarchy could be viewed as a holy quest if the woman if strong enough in her beliefs. However, I doubt Lobdell is going that way. Also, I don't mind the idea that they are now the same character. In order to bring some clarity to the character, the two had to merge, I feel.

Over at the Avengers 2000 fanfic site (where I write Black Panther, cheap plug!), the writer of Alpha Flight, a great guy named Trav Hiltz explained that there was a revolving door of bearers of the Nemesis title to keep the threat of Deadly Ernest contained. It was quite an ingenius explanation, I thought. I smack myself that I didn't think of it. But, of course, Lobdell isn't going this way either. What Lobdell has portrayed so far has been intriguing and I'm sure he'll make it work.

She claims (constantly) to be an anarchist, but her characterization has been more of a nihilist, no? Actions speak louder than words.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

That we know of so far.
    I'm sure Nemesis has her plans.
    Kinda hard to be an anarchist when you aren't in complete control of your own actions.

I find it kinda amusing that an anarchist and/or nihilist like Nemesis, with either or both of those mindsets being rather chaotic by their nature, would have to be so meticulous about her actions.