Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who Or What Is Nemesis ?

Default Who Or What Is Nemesis ?

Just re-read #1 again, and I got to thinking about Nemesis. She says that she has been to Hell twice. The first Nemesis, could be considered as having gone to hell, in the sense that she lived a **** life whilst trying to croak Deadly Ernest. The second (Jane ? ) went and fought alongside the Alpha Task Force whilst dead (?) against Carcaas (#125-126 (?)) So that raises a few questions. Is Nemesis a role that continues, no matter what happens to the host, cos a new host will have the memories of previous hosts. Is this a third Nemesis whose untold history includes two trips to Mephistos house. Or has the original returned. I'm bloody confused and would welcome some thoughts or theories.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

My guess is that she is like a "Spirit of Vengance" type. She could say, take on the body of one who has richious vengance to to be exactd. That would be a pretty cool way to handle it. That way too, she could never really "die"

If you think about it, she could have a HUGE backstory if she is some kind of 'spirit of vengence'. Who knows how long she may have been kicking around in different incarnations, sort of like DC's The Spectre. I would love to see her history if that were the case. Imagine the story possibilities.

What kind of powers does she have? Is it just the sword?

It would seem she has either hightened agility, or is very well trained. Her sword id mystical by nature. It is supposively only 1 atom thick, and near indistructable. For instace, she went toe to toe in a "sword fight" with The Wrecker of the Wrecking crew. His prybar being of asgardian nature. He was shocked when he did not break her sword.

Is the second Nemesis's backstory ever explained? We all saw the first Nemesis crumbled to dust after destroying Deadly Ernest but I don't remember much about the second incarnation - is she meant to be the same character??? Is it ever explained? And do we ever see her without her mask?

Quote Originally Posted by beetleblack
    Is the second Nemesis's backstory ever explained?
    No.
    We all saw the first Nemesis crumbled to dust after destroying Deadly Ernest but I don't remember much about the second incarnation - is she meant to be the same character???
    I think she's the same Nemesis. In a like stated above Spirits of Vengeance kinda way.

Is it ever explained? And do we ever see her without her mask?
    No she just showed up in a Gamma Flight, no one seemed to care. And no she hasn't been seen fully without her mask.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben
    It would seem she has either hightened agility, or is very well trained. Her sword id mystical by nature. It is supposively only 1 atom thick, and near indistructable. For instace, she went toe to toe in a "sword fight" with The Wrecker of the Wrecking crew. His prybar being of asgardian nature. He was shocked when he did not break her sword.
    cool thanx

Is the second Nemesis's backstory ever explained? We all saw the first Nemesis crumbled to dust after destroying Deadly Ernest but I don't remember much about the second incarnation - is she meant to be the same character??? Is it ever explained? And do we ever see her without her mask?
    The second Nemesis was called Jane during one story by Diamond Lil. During the Wyre/Secret Empire arc, it was shown that she has close ties to Wildchild and that at one point she led the Children of The Night (?) a Subteranean group made up mainly of kids.. Rok the new leader would seem to have usurped her power while she was mucking about with Gamm Flight or somthing.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Quote Originally Posted by HavokThePowerful
    What kind of powers does she have? Is it just the sword?
    The first Nemesis could also fly. I always thought it was cool to have a flying swordswoman with an unbreakable sword that could cut through anything. Think of all the possible cool maneuvers..... :P

She is definately Alpha material, just a little hint to her history ?
    Del

Here is my theory on Nemesis. I am neither claiming assuredness nor proof, because, let's face it, there ain't none:

In her orig appeance, she either blatantly or subtly told Northstar (I don't have my issues nearby, so I can't verify which it was) that her mother was killed by Deadly Earnest (and possibly suggested taht Earnest was her father, I'm not sure), and that she's been after him ever since. it was also suggested that she's been stalking him since his first kill - supposedly her mother.... that much we know (and if we don't someone will correct me , but I believe I got the general gist of it...)

I think that Ben is partially correct; that Nemesis IS a vengeance spirit, but a specific one. I think that 'the woman who would become Nemesis' was given great abilities by some form of Divine entity (safe bet would be the Goddess that she took her code from), and a mystically-driven sword (hence how it can be it's given dimensions and strength, as well as how she was able to revive the members of Alpha in 32; she needed the sword to do that). However, the Gods (or whatever) frowns on giving mortals immortality (just read any mythology to find out why), so <unnamed whatever> keeps her mortal-yet-hard-to-kill (I have yet to see her seriously damaged, have you?). However, being mortal, she has limitations, like the fact that she dies. So <unnamed whatever> grants her the gift of transposession - a term I just invented meaning that the memories and gifts get passed onto someone younger, more verile, and -more importantly - still breathing to take on Earnest again. Now, here's where I have NO proof: my theory, based on the historical evidence, is that the spirit passes from mother to daughter, since it was the daughter of Earnest's possible first victim. Now, here we have a problem: Nemesis was originally made to exact vengeance on Deadly Earnest, only being able to die completelt when he does. Well, Death won't have him, so, no matter how often she cuts him - mystical blade or not (as proven in v.1.31) - he's still alive and kicking, except in several pieces (as again proven in v.1.30, after Scramble does the Humpty Dumpty). Even being splattered over godknows how many miles of Montreal LRT, he's still alive, just significantly thinner and more spread out, hence why Nemesis returns with Gamma Flight. But, you may ask, why did Nem I (we'll call her) crumble to dust? well, look at my earlier theory: her BODY crumbled, and only because she had used up all the life she could in that body. Now it was time to find a new one, in this case (again, according to my theory) in the form of possibly her daughter, whom we'll call 'Jane'. because it's theonly name to put on her. So why didn't her mind pass on after she 'died' during the battle with Carcass? SImple, Shaman's spell to bring them to the whatever-realm they went to bound their spirits together (same reason they didn't pass on to whereever they are destined in the Afterlife). When Shaman lifted his spell, they returned - not to their dead, but their near-dead - bodies. Thus, the most recent manifestation of Nemesis (we'll call her Nem II) was still that. However, regarding the children of the whatevertheyarecalled, that can be explained aswell: before she inherited the Nemesis spirit 'Jane' ran this group that included, among others, a very feral Kyle - who somehow managed to escape from the last time he appeared in Omega Flight. He either was there when she donned the Nemesis outfit, or just shortly after (since he didn't meantion her as anything but as Nemesis druing the Rok/Wyre/Secret Empire storyline). That's how he came to be in the second incarnation of Gamma Flight with Nemesis, and later, ALpha Flight as Weapon Omega (which makes sence, as he was the last surviving member of Omega Flight that had yet to join ALpha).

*Whew!* Did that make sence to everyone?
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

::Just stares in abject amazement and wonder... and agrees, because he can't do anything BUT!::

Quote Originally Posted by Major Mapleleaf Jr
    ::Just stares in abject amazement and wonder... and agrees, because he can't do anything BUT!::
    *Stands there proudly as people look at him dumbfounded*
    That's, of course, assuming you had ANY CLUE what I said...
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

Oh, I followed it very easily. I just like how airtight it was. Didn't leave ANY room for argument. And I respect that. I've actually done a very, VERY lengthy post on the NM.net boards once on the nature of Dani Moonstar's powers, and how each of her power mutations (and let's face it, her powers have changed more than any other mutant out there) can actually be tied together in a nice, neat little package.