Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: probally gonna get banned over at x-fan, but....

It's not that I am asking to much of the writers, and i don't neccessarily have problems with the stories themselves, my problem is how Canadians and other non-Americans are portrayed in American Media. Personally, I find it very degrading.

Also, along that note, I'd also like to take a couple of seconds to add to eternity an apology: I was VERY frusterated when I posted the two posts that obviously display that. I have a deep respect from my home country, as I'm sure all of you do yours, and I hate to see it constantly bashed and mocked. It's all nice to say 'oh, don't worry, it's just a joke', but when that joke is constantly being used, ppl start to believe it, and that's what royally screwing us in the world market.
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

If you are refering AF vol3, I have not read it yet, but from the pages I've seen, I thought Lobdell, was more making fun of his (and in the same way, most americans) lack of knowledge of Canada. A little bit like due South was making it. I did not read the issue so I cannot really say if I'm right or wrong, and anyway, Lobdell never been a favorite of mine, but I liked that he admitted not knowing much about Canada. He could include more jokes about the feedback some readers will gave him, like an interactive comic book, non?

Default Writing in Canadian

This is what I think of the whole "can an American (or any other nationality for that matter) write a Canadian team comic" thing.

I'm willing to cut a writer some slack for not knowing absolutely everything about Canada. It is difficult to write like a Canadian when you aren't one. And by "writing like a Canadian" i mean being able to throw in up to date (as in current) events, turns of phrase, even attitudes of Canadians.

I do expect, however, that the writer (and the artist as well) do their research to make it at least LOOK LIKE they are trying to set the book in Canada, and trying to make the characters be believable as Canadian citizens living in Canada. If i were the writer, I'd be watching Canadian TV, reading Canadian magazines and newspapers, talking to friends living in Canada, and givinig the artist clips of locations in Canada. (Its amazing how gratifying the response you get from people is when they can actually recognize a building or lamp post or street sign).

So far, this comic isnt doing that, but then im not really expecting that at this point. I think the first thing Lobdell needs to do is get a big audience, and hes trying the light approach, let's see if it works....

I wonder which writers the Canadians we have here on the list think at least made an effort to do good research...?

Default Re: Writing in Canadian

Quote Originally Posted by bigbloo
    I wonder which writers the Canadians we have here on the list think at least made an effort to do good research...?
    Oh, there are a couple whom either tried to do adequate research (don't ask me who, as I can't remember, and don't have my comics at hand), or got away with it by not having the team in Canada or on Earth for that matter.
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

Default Re: Writing in Canadian

For my part, Hudnall the one with Llan the sorcerer. For Aurora in Ste-Anne-de-Beaupré, Byrne not for all but close enough, I don't know who, but near the end when Aurora had the healing powers, the reference to Toronto being too americanised. Seagle tried but failed most of the time and lastly, the world tour, the guest writer/artist when they made Aurora and Northstar swear like crazy, my ears where ringing at the end and the swearing word where mostly place at the right place, incredible!!![/quote]

I thought that Lobdell didn't do too terribly the first time around. And Hudnall really made a good effort... better than Mantlo ever did, surely.

Hudnall didn't do to bad, but Llan was just a bad character, or a good one, but overused. At the time, and from what Hudnall has said, editorial didn't know what to do with AF and the book was left in a limbo wandering aimlessly, FabNic really put it back on course, but I think Huds intentions where good.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!