Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Second Coming (of James Hudson)... [SPOILERS]

I also think Heather's donning the costume was inevitable, and Byrne probably begged off the idea to avoid spoliers. Heather toook the leadership role, and was hurt in battle almost immediately with the Plodex. I started reading Alpha when a cane-reliant Heather was leading the team, and it was a very distinctive take on a super-team. Then in AF #24, Heather stood bored while the others fought the Great Beasts. I think even if JB had stayed on the book, we would have seen Heather in the suit. Byrne did design the sunglasses Heather wore that added so much to Heather's suit. I'm inclined to believe that Mantlo picked up directly on that thread from Byrne, with Jeffries and Box reconstructing the suit fron Courtney's remains.

And Byrne did also plant the idea in our heads in...issue....ummm, 17 I think without having my comics on hand. The one where heather is holding Jimmy's old suit up to herself in the mirror.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Ben
    And Byrne did also plant the idea in our heads in...issue....ummm, 17 I think without having my comics on hand. The one where heather is holding Jimmy's old suit up to herself in the mirror.

Ben
    It was #18, #17 had the image of the fight from UXM #109 on the cover (?).

All that comics stuff above is a smokescreen, to try and disguise the fact, that I never really took that image of Heather holding up the suit as a prelude of things to come, but just her giving a memory form. Oh and I never really got the Northstar being gay for a long time. Thats why I read spoilers, so I know what the hell is actually happening.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

the Northstar bits have been split to: http://forum.alphaflight.net/viewtopic.php?t=326

The non-powered female leader bit was being done at the same time or just before over in the New Defenders book....and it didn't work there either. It's illogical(and even REALLY, REALLY stupid) to have a leader that has no powers, special abilities, skills, weapons, etc...

Hawkeye or Captain America don't have powers(Batman too), but they have what it takes to stand beside their superpowered teammates....Heather(and Candy Southern, for that matter) does not....period.

Such a non-powered leader would instantly become a target(for either killing or as a potential hostage)by their opponents, in any battle. To say that Heather didn't need the suit or some other training, empowerment or whatever to be an effective leader, because she was a spitfire who could claw your eyes out(i.e. her "fight" with Delphine Courtney) or kick you in the groin....is just a bit silly.

Dana

I'd have to agree with Dana, the only way i believe a non-superpowered leader would be effective would if the said leader was not in the field of battle, and running things by remote / commlink. Like Charles Xavier, for example...

Not having it is a very good reason Candy Southern is dead.

Quote Originally Posted by kozzi24
    Not having it is a very good reason Candy Southern is dead.
    Indeed, Kozzi...good point.

Dana

Although she died well after Defenders, in X-Factor, I think.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.