Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: John Byrne and the Doom Patrol!

Well no comic is perfect if you look to closely you can always find something to nit pick about. You should though be spending your time just enjoying the comic.
    Richard Vasseur

Quote Originally Posted by Richv1
    Wel no comic is perfect if you look to closely you can always find something to nit pick about. You should though be spending your time just enjoying the comic.
    =D> Pearls of wisdom.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

I do enjoy, and don't read what I don't enjoy: I'm not an investment only buyer. But showing disregard for continuity approaches or becomes disrespect for long time readers and for the creators who went on before any current team.

I've seen a really disrespectful remark about this recently on Tom Brevoort's forum ay Comic=X fan. One poster was upset that the new forthcoming Black Panther title had no plans to reveal how the mantle of B.P. came back to T'Challa from Killmonger.

A positive example of this is provided by Brian Vaughn (sp) in Runaways when he used Cloak & Dagger. When last seen in Marvel Knights, Cloak had lost his powers. Did Vaughn go into a lengthy explanation? No. But he did acknowledge that something had had happened, and even gave it a place of happening, outside NYC (I think Cleveland or Detroit, but don't remember for sure.) This took, what, a WHOLE PANEL to do, and gave a tabula rasa for a future story--a villain involved? someone else with Darkforce powers? a darkforce dimension rift that pulled C&D unwillingly from NYC?--that can be told.

All the things on the list of AF continuity gaffs I gave have been raised in this forum--and only 1 of those by me, so obviously these things are important to many readers past and present of AF titles.

Basically the post was polite disagreement with the statement

Alpha Flight's continuity seems to have been handled pretty good. You might have to get their guest appearances to follow everything that has happened but otherwise its good.
    and Sylvie's "huh?" would seem that I'm not alone in that disagreement.

Sorry if well thought out examples can be found offensive.

Yes I didn't say any of the points were not valid. And when I read comics if there is something really noticable that is wrong I'll mention it.
    But since we have mentioned some points about Alpha Flight that are not liked are there any points that are liked?
    Richard Vasseur

Yes, in the Alpha Forums, not the JB's DP one.

And also notice that when a comic seems satisfying, people don't talk about it as much. AF #4 was well received all round, and there wasn't much conversation. AF #3, with its faults, maintained a much longer go-round.
    After all, what else is there to say if you say I like that and I say I agree?

Quote Originally Posted by kozzi24
    Who said anything about "destroyed"?
    Doom Patrol's has been, so to compair the two, you're saying that Alpha's has been as well. Alpha Flight has fit the marvel model of not wasting time with continuity but not flagrantly contradicting anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho
    Who said anything about "destroyed"?
    Doom Patrol's has been, so to compair the two, you're saying that Alpha's has been as well. Alpha Flight has fit the marvel model of not wasting time with continuity but not flagrantly contradicting anything.
    Scott has contradicted AF continuity...in saying that the Plodex ship came to Earth about 3000 years ago, while in the original Byrne story it was about 40,000 years ago...big difference. Wasn't Marrina's one panel origin also a contradiction(her egg being found on the ice, instead of the ocean floor...again...a big difference).

Any way....I'm digging the new/old Doom Patrol, the stories seem to be getting better with each issue. I enjoyed the alien infestation two parter in #'s 3 and 4, and the upcoming Robot-fighter arc looks fun(plus we'll get info on Cliff's origin)in 5 and 6.

Dana

And also notice that when a comic seems satisfying, people don't talk about it as much. AF #4 was well received all round, and there wasn't much conversation. AF #3, with its faults, maintained a much longer go-round.
    After all, what else is there to say if you say I like that and I say I agree?
    Kozzi, I was one of the folks that didn't like AF#'s 1-6. I thought those issues were far too slow-paced, meandering, and made the original team look innept and useless. Not a good way to get on the good side of an old AF fan. That said, can we get back to talking about the DP?

Dana

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67
    That said, can we get back to talking about the DP?
    Well, IMO Doom Patrol is just plain bad! Although I hated the idea of the team being totally "rebooted" I was completely willing to give it a chance and now after a few issues of the actual series, as well as their showcasing in the pages of JLA, I am on the verge of cancelling.

Well I read those issues of the JLA and the first issue of DP. And I was convinced I did not want to waste my time reading any more of it. Probably cause I am so used to the old version I don't like seeing this new version just stuck into the DC Universe and the old one forgotten about. The original DP wasa great comic its to bad that has not carried over.
    Richard Vasseur

Quote Originally Posted by Richv1
    Well I read those issues of the JLA and the first issue of DP. And I was convinced I did not want to waste my time reading any more of it. Probably cause I am so used to the old version I don't like seeing this new version just stuck into the DC Universe and the old one forgotten about. The original DP wasa great comic its to bad that has not carried over.
    Of course it was a great comic, Rich....I don't think it CAN be done any better than by the creators(Drake and Premiani). What's past is past....any revival of the original team would have to be a reboot....period. the original members have been altered, maimed, killed and desecrated beyond repair....there was no coming back from what was done to them, without it being totally unbelievable. I'm not saying John byrne's version is great(or even "very good"), but I do think it's improving with each issue. Do I think the reboot could have been handled better?...yes....much better, but it will NEVER be the Drake and Premiani Doom Patrol again....ever!

Dana

Don't miss Doom Patrol #6 this 11/24, concluding the 2-part "Robot Wars" story.

http://www.dccomics.com/media/covers/2162_400x600.jpg

Also, according to Byrne, DC has guaranteed that Doom Patrol will be published into a second year, up to at least issue 18.
    For the complete pencils to every issue of Doom Patrol:

http://jbgallery.ourbunch.net/pencilscans.html

Hi Rod.

Dana

Hey there. Are your initials D.S. ?
    For the complete pencils to every issue of Doom Patrol:

http://jbgallery.ourbunch.net/pencilscans.html