Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: John Byrne and the Doom Patrol!

Well for all my trepidation for the new/old Doom Patrol I will be getting it. I just think it's a shame that they had to reboot the title rather than come up with some other explanation for the original team to be back together and in come cases back from the dead.

Yes I agree if they did have the original team back with everyone remembering them it would have inproved it. But to just stick them there and say heres a new team that no one knows. What about all there rich history.
    Richard Vasseur

Quote Originally Posted by Richv1
    What about all their rich history.
    That's the saddest part of all. DC seem to enjoy 'rebooting' titles and wiping out history at the drop of a hat - they think it will encourage people to read the title. At the end of the day does it matter that the title may have a long sprawling history? If the writers are good then they shouldn't have to rely too heavily on the past, like when Grant Morrison wrote New X-Men for instance.

At the end of the day this sort of reboot ends up frustrating many readers and in a sense rubbishing/degrading what previous writers have done with the title. A lot of people have said, in defense of the reboot, that the Vertigo Doom Patrol were so far removed from who the Doom Patrol were anyway that it really doesn't matter that Morrison/Pollack's stories have been wiped away - however what they tend to forget is that when DC bought back Doom Patrol is was just plain AWFUL and was more or less cancelled - Morrison SAVED the title!

I'm sure that Bryne could have come up with something exciting and imaginitive to start the series off again without having to rely on the 'everything that happened NEVER happened scenario', shame the head honchos at DC demanded a reboot instead.

Sorry, I've probably started to repeat myself again now... it's not my fault, I've just been rebooted!

I have an idea maybe Professor X crossed over into the DC universe and saw the Doom Patrol as to much competion for the X-Men and he used his vast telepathic powers to erase them from the minds of everyone in the DC universe. LOL
    Richard Vasseur

Dropping continuity is not just a new thing for DC....

Check out the first(?) review for the Doom Patrol...

http://www.silverbulletcomicbooks.co...1190961544.htm

Dana

Unfortunately it isn't new to both DC and Marvel.
    That interview seems to ramble on and on about suff that has very little or nothing to do with the comic book they are reviewing. Which one was it now Scooby-Doo, JLA, Supergirl, Superman/Batman or was it an animated cartoon they were reviewing? I forgot now it took so long to get through all that.
    Richard Vasseur

Silly boy.

Cripes, are all their reviews like that? I'm not sure if they liked it or not or even read it!!!

I certainly hope all their reviews are not like that. I write reviews to and I'm far from perfect and I do use some comparisons but I do stick mainly to talking about the comic story and art and cover.
    Richard Vasseur

That's the saddest part of all. DC seem to enjoy 'rebooting' titles and wiping out history at the drop of a hat - they think it will encourage people to read the title. At the end of the day does it matter that the title may have a long sprawling history? If the writers are good then they shouldn't have to rely too heavily on the past, like when Grant Morrison wrote New X-Men for instance.

At the end of the day this sort of reboot ends up frustrating many readers and in a sense rubbishing/degrading what previous writers have done with the title.
    Couldn't this be applied to the current Alpha Volume? It's also being said about the forthcoming Black Panther title.
    Didn't Byrne do a similar thing with Spider-Man? The biggest of that particular sin was wiping all of the very fine Kurt Busiek Untold Tales that had been painstakingly put into continuity with the original early issues of AMAZING. Nothing new to DC, or Marvel, or Byrne

How has Alpha Flight destroyed continuity?

Who said anything about "destroyed"?

Alpha Flight's continuity seems to have been handled pretty good. You might have to get their guest appearances to follow everything that has happened but otherwise its good.
    Richard Vasseur

Alpha Flight's continuity seems to have been handled pretty good. You might have to get their guest appearances to follow everything that has happened but otherwise its good.
    huh?

Except for tha mass of characters who have gone MIA inexplicably since AF#130.
    Except for Snowbird being alive despite the fact that Walt's got her body.
    Except for all the unresolved subplots from Volume 2.
    Except for Walter having shown no concern for Aurora's disappearance.
    Except for 2 separate Brass Bishop stories (the 2nd was better IMO)
    Except for Sasquatch needing Juggernaut-busting armor when he's capable of holding jets back with his bare hands.
    Except for a baby with no name
    Except for traditionally aquatic plodex turning human
    Except for the fact that I would have liked to have seen how original team got captured.
    Except for all the ones not running into my mind right now.
    Before I get bashed, I do have the patience to give S.L. time to deal with some of the ones that most obviously need to be dealt with.