Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Questions about Alpha Flight Headquarters

LOL, the last time I remember anyone calling Lil 'Creepy-Crawley' was in AF 26... as for her breast cancer, it was ruled out as a benign cyst by Whit after a biopsy
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

Quote Originally Posted by Richv1
    Lillian Crawley Jefferies I wonder why her husband Madison isn't with her? And how is her breast cancer going?
    Check out Weapon X for Madison Jefferies, he's currently on the run with Aurora and the head of the Weapon X program, The Director. Li's tumor turned out to be benign and not cancer at all, however she's in worse shape right now as a prisoner of the Weapon X program.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCanuck
    .... mind you being a Northerner (orig from Yellowknife), I guess I WOULD know more about that.... Hell southerners still ask me if we live in igloos up there...
    Come on, us "southerners" don't really think you folks up there still live in igloos, but I did want to ask you about something. Aren't you worried about being left out on an iceflow when you grow old? Maybe you should move down here where the only ice is in the rinks and the drinks?

Quote Originally Posted by "Legerd
    Come on, us "southerners" don't really think you folks up there still live in igloos...
    I didn't say ALL southerners... but you'd be surprised howmany DO think I lived in an igloo... one even designed an 'igloo skyscraper' for me...

but I did want to ask you about something. Aren't you worried about being left out on an iceflow when you grow old? Maybe you should move down here where the only ice is in the rinks and the drinks?
    LOL, actually, I now live in the great mountains of southwestern BC, so I'm a few steps ahead of you... too damned cold in the Knife for this not-so-old geezer...

Speaking of Nunavut I remember in an issue of Iron Man around that time he had an adventure in the Nunavut territory. It was at the start of that Eighth Day Exemplars thing where 8 beings (Juggernaut included) were activated to basically fight until one of them was the last one standing. The temple in Nunavut was the location of the Blazing Brazier of Balthaak if I remember correctly, in it the Exemplar Inferno was created representing heat and energy. Yup. Back in 1999.

If you want to see misconceptions about Canada try people from the States. Like the polar bears we have roaming the streets?
    Richard Vasseur

If you want to see misconceptions about Canada try people from the States. Like the polar bears we have roaming the streets?
    I don't know about main civilian centres, but I saw a documentary on Discovery a couple of years back that showed Polar Bears wandering through Inuit towns to sift through garbage. These were normally young males. The Inuit just accepted it as part and parcel of life.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Don't worry, we know it's actually moose which roam downtown Toronto, I know it goes on, I've seen 'Northern Exposure'!

Btw, I was speaking to someone the other day who was surprised when I mentioned that it was sunny over here in England. Unfortunately he had the misconception that it ALWAYS rains here! (Okay, so it IS raining as I type this!) From what I remember the original Excalibur series had loads of shots of red London buses and Beefeaters wandering the streets!

Yeah, them bloody Beefeaters were becoming a nuisance, but I believe pest control have the situation in hand now.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Quote Originally Posted by DelBubs
    Yeah, them bloody Beefeaters were becoming a nuisance, but I believe pest control have the situation in hand now.
    okay, for those of us who are NOT British, can someone please explain the references??

taken from http://www.camelotintl.com/tower_sit...ers/index.html
    =============================
    On the 22nd of August 1485 Henry, Earl of Richmond, was by public acclamation saluted on the Battle field of Bosworth King over England and was crowned on the 30 of October following. In the first year of his reign, the Yeoman of the Guard was first ordered of which the Yeoman Waiters or Warders of the Tower hath the seniority.

It is therefore from Henry VII's reign that the Body of Yeoman Warders claim their origin.

The historical duties of the Yeoman Warders or 'Waiters were to guard the prisoners and attend the gates, hence the name "Waiters", which was in use in earlier time. The daily duty roster is still called 'The Wait'. The popular term "Beefeater" should not be applied to the Yeoman Warders of the Tower. It means what it says and, according to the dictionary, is not entirely complimentary. It certainly does not imply attendance at the King's table and the back formation of a non-existent French word "Buffetier" is an absurdity.

The Royal Livery, the State clothing, has varied in detail over the years and the present style was established during Queen Victoria's reign. It is worn only on special occasions, most frequently at the three annual church parades. The coat, hat and white gloves are worn when Royal salutes are fired. The present blue undress clothing was introduced in 1858 and the present cloth hat in 1885. As can be imagined, there was much early criticism of it. The scarlet Watchcoat, which the public see worn by the Chief Warder and the Watchman at the Ceremony of the Keys, has been in use for a very long time. The Yeoman Warders are armed with a sword and partizan...
    =============================
    Del

Cripes - that sounds more complicated that an X-Men plot!

Bascially, Beefeaters are guys who hang around the Tower of London and get their pictures taken with tourists. They wear fancy red clothes (as in above pic) and that's about it!

LOL, thanks Del and Beetleblack, for the clarification...

What other misconceptions of Canada have I heard. Someone wanting to know when the Vienna Boys Choir were going to perform and also when the Hippo races were. Can we say Germany and Africa.
    Richard Vasseur

What other misconceptions of Canada have I heard. Someone wanting to know when the Vienna Boys Choir were going to perform and also when the Hippo races were. Can we say Germany and Africa.
    The one I usually get when I tell people I'm in Canada is 'oh really? that's in Wisconsin, ain't it?'