Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Alpha Flight Questionnaire

Default Re: Alpha Flight Questionnaire

Quote Originally Posted by Ben
    The Following is the official forum Alpha Flight Questionnaire. This automatically gets sent to new members. I would also like for existing members to take a minute to fill this out, as it is a great way to see the interests of fellow Alpha Flight Fans.

1. How long have you been collecting Alpha Flight??
    Honestly I picked up around V.1 #125. But know that I own every Alpha Comic with the exception of #129. One day, I tell you , One day.
    2. What was your first memory of Alpha Flight? If recent, what was your first reaction??[/b]
    I thought the team was cool. I was a teen c'mon. Teens rarely have in depth thoughts. JK
    3. Who is you favorite Alpha Flight character??[/b]
    Marinna
    4. Who is you least favorite Alpha Flight character??[/b]
    Murmur. What is the piont? Talk like Aurora, powers Like Persuasian? I guess the 2nd volume needed a sex symbol . Ugh. Actuallyu Manikin is tied with her. HATED Him.
    5. Who is you favorite Alpha Flight villain??[/b]
    The Government.
    Or DreamQueen.
    6. Who is your least favorite Alpha Flight villain??[/b]
    Wrecking Crew
    7. What do you think is the best issue / story-arch from Alpha Flight??[/b]
    The first 12 issues. Without a doubt , IMO, the best issues. Building and defining for all the characters in the team.
    8. What do you consider the Alpha Flight "Dream Team"??[/b]
    Ohhh.
    Heather
    Northstar
    Aurora
    Marinna
    Pathway
    Persuasion
    Sasquatch
    Jeffries
    9. If you were to be stuck on a desert island with one member of Alpha Flight, Who would it be (powers can not get you off the island)?[/b]
    Northstar. Well I am gay. . Although if this is one of those which Alpha do you think is the hottest type questions, I'll go w/ Jeffries.
    10. Who was/is/could be the best leader of Alpha Flight??[/b]
    Heather.

I'm skipping the Contributors section.

15. If you could undo one thing in Alpha Flight history, what would it be?[/b]
    Finding Manikin.

Bolloxs, sodding HTML, this and this, it's a lot of sodding about, thats all it is.

Anyway re #129, if I see one while out and about, I'll grab it, if you want, that is.

Oh and don't go ragging on Manikin, he's gotta be better than Radius
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Del, do you help to write extraordinaire?

Quote Originally Posted by syvalois

I wondered if you would pick up on the subtle, but deliberate mistake I made. (Honestly, I did know)
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

1. How long have you been collecting Alpha Flight?
    Volume 3/Issue 1

2. What was your first memory of Alpha Flight? If recent, what was your first reaction?
    The X-Men cartoon. My first thought was how cool Vindicator's costume was. Best costume ever.

as for the comic, my first reaction was,

3. Who is you favorite Alpha Flight character?

Snowbird. Ignoring the convoluted and confusing continuity, from what I have read she is a consistantly interesting character.

4. Who is you least favorite Alpha Flight character?

As it stands, I have none and wish to avoid back issues of bad periods in order to gain one.

5. Who is you favorite Alpha Flight villain?

None yet.

6. Who is your least favorite Alpha Flight villain?

Department H, I agree with Lobdell's assessment.

7. What do you think is the best issue / story-arch from Alpha Flight?

I really enjoyed X-Men 120/121. I think the Alpha Flight issues were by far the best part of the Claremont/Byrne X-Men.

8. What do you consider the Alpha Flight "Dream Team"?

Guardian, Sasquatch, Shaman, Snowbird, Northstar, Aurora

Although, here's hoping the new ones can earn their place.

9. If you were to be stuck on a desert island with one member of Alpha Flight, Who would it be (powers can not get you off the island)

New Puck, my theory is this, eventually, anyone would become friends under those circumstances unless they have some bitter animosity, in which place they kill each other. I have no bitter animosity with any Flighters. And since I'd end up friends with any of them, it makes sense to go with a babe.

10. Who was/is/could be the best leader of Alpha Flight?

I have no idea, although I liked Guardian as the leader who doesn't want to lead, but that makes him an unlikely candidate for best at it. Probably Heather is best.

11. Who is your favorite Alpha Flight writer?

Undecided.

12. Who is your least favorite Alpha Flight writer?

I'm happier without an asnwer, unless Austen counts, stupid armour.

13. Who is your favorite Alpha Flight artist?

I want to say someone different, but lets face it, Jim Lee just freaking rules.

14. Who is your least favorite Alpha Flight artist?

I'm happier without an answer.

15. If you could undo one thing in Alpha Flight history, what would it be?

The armour.

Quote Originally Posted by DelBubs

I wondered if you would pick up on the subtle, but deliberate mistake I made. (Honestly, I did know)
    What? It was a test? Only for me? thank you

Quote Originally Posted by DelBubs

What? It was a test? Only for me? thank you
    Yes, and you where more than equal to it :P I shall have to be more Nefarious, when next I test
    Del

Though I haven't read much of the stuff Austin did "to" Alpha Flight, just the though of him putting them in battle armour offends me. As for Lobell, here's hoping you opinion changes. I'm keeping an open mind. I've enjoyed the book so far, and I have faith with the previes. But then again, I am an optimist
    I'm not going to try the new incarnation. The only member that's carried over is Sasquatch and, like I said, he's not a favorite of mine. Between a writer I'm not crazy about, an old cast-member I'm not fond of, and a new cast that doesn't interest me either way, there's just not a lot of incentive for me to give Lobdell or this book a chance.

Why yes, I am a bit of a dinosaur.

Suzene

I can respect that, however the origonal members will be showing up in #3, and I'd say there's a good chance they will be sticking around. My view on collecting Alpha, even if you don't like the direction it's currently going, is that of supporting the book, keeping from falling under the Axe. At the same time you can express your feeling for it's directions to Marvel...but that's just me

Ben

My view on collecting Alpha, even if you don't like the direction it's currently going, is that of supporting the book, keeping from falling under the Axe. At the same time you can express your feeling for it's directions to Marvel.
    Agreed - while re-reading the original series it's amazing how many different directions it goes in over the 130 issues. At the end of the day I intend to give the book the benifit of the doubt to begin with, give it a good chance and see how it goes. With so many ex-Alphan's floating around the Marvel Universe who knows what the future holds for the team...

Quote Originally Posted by Ahab
    Quote Originally Posted by PWalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahab
    Byrne will always be my favorite, but the fact that the guy disses Alpha Flight and his work on it has left a bad taste in my mouth.
    Is this true? I've never read anything where Byrne would diss his work on AF. Somebody help me out here.
    I'm not one of those posters that makes up unfounded statements. All you need to do is read some of Byrne's responses on his own website to quickly determine his attitude regarding Alpha Flight. It's somewhat disappointing...
    Yeah I went over there and checked and couldn't really find anything. What shocks me is I met the guy about 10 years back and talked up Alpha Flight with him for 15 minutes. I was 16 or 17 and kept saying to myself "I'm talking with the man who brought me Sasquatch and Puck, AWESOME!!!" At the time he was very cordial and took some time to discuss the series. Basically I just told him how much I liked the idea of #12 Vol 1.
    I have to pick up my ice cream if what you guys are telling me is true.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/features/byrne/

MDT: Second now only to FF, this book was the closest thing to you it seemed: a super-hero team spread across the vast space of Canada and not just Canadian clones of the Avengers. At what point did you decide to give up the book in lieu of the Incredible Hulk (a comparatively short run)? Any regrets in the long run?

JB: ALPHA FLIGHT was never much fun. The characters were created merely to survive a fight with the X-Men, and I never thought about them having their own title. When Marvel finally cajolled me into doing ALPHA FLIGHT, I realized how incredibly two-dimensional they were, and spend some twenty-eight issues trying to find ways to correct this fault. Nothing really sang for me. If I have any regrets, it would probably be that I did the book at all! It was not a good time for me.

MDT: Any thoughts of reviving the team with your particular twist on them?

JB: Well, based on the above. . . .

MDT: What's your take on the last incarnation of the team?

JB: Didn't look. Saw a poster of them with steroidic muscles and constipated grimaces, and thought "Okay! No need to even open an issue!"
    Splat, there goes my ice cream all over again!

Splat, there goes my ice cream all over again!
    Hmph! If I had ice cream, Byrne would be wearing it about now!

Mind you I don't think that's the ENTIRE story, but I don't feel like writing a long post displaying my thoughts on the matter (but if Ben wants to -which I doubt - he's free to), so I'll wait till later.
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

Thanks Ben, now I have ice cream to clean up.

Maybe when I spoke with him he was just going along with a kid to not squash my feelings on the team. How can these characters be considered 2D? Geez if anything they have too many dimensions to them.

Well - and no disrespect to John Byrne himself (whom I AM a fan of) - but I think it's a shame that he isn't happy or proud of his work on Alpha Flight because from what I can see most of us think that his run was the BEST!

HOWEVER at the end of the day, we read it and loved it and it meant something to us and just because he wasn't happy with it doesn't mean that we have to change our opinions. For me (and I'm guessing for pretty much most of you) the characters were rounded and REAL and the stories were produced well and illistrated beautifully. And who knows, people's attitudes change - just because he has one opinion of AF at the moment does not mean that he will always have this opinion - maybe in years to come he will come to see his work on AF with a new light. Only time will tell, I guess...