Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Alpha Flight Questionnaire

Default Re: Alpha Flight Questionnaire

Quote Originally Posted by beetleblack
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahab
    Murmur was an unnecessary alternate version of Persuasion.
    Which is exactly what I thought - what was the point of inventing a new character when there was already a suitable character in the AF universe.
    Okay, please don't slap me here, but here's a thought... if Persuasion was all that suitable, why didn't they use her? Simple. The second Alpha Flight series was drastically different than the first, for one. It was all about the manipulation of the team by Department H, playing the conspiracy angle up to the fullest, and it was a lot easier for Dept. H to manipulate a few veteran members (which they could have on the team to show the Canadian public that the new Alpha Flight had the membership and support of people like Heather and Puck, whom they knew of and trusted) than to manipulate a team made up ENTIRELY of veteran members. See, Murmur and the other Hull House recruits were people that Dept. H could control more readily (this was hinted at by referring to them as "Legacy" cases) because they had groomed them for this duty. I'd be willing to bet that Dept. H had a hand in the upbringing of Radius, Flex, Murmur, and Ghost Girl practically from birth... training them (probably not even to their knowledge) to be the perfect government [sleeper] agents. Dept. H probably felt that these children were more trustworthy and thus more suitable, because they could control them easier.

And second, when Marvel decided to relaunch Alpha Flight in the wake of Onslaught, creating new characters for a series can help new readers get into the book more. They don't have to know EVERYONE'S history, because they've got fresh faces that they can start following, and start to root for, because they know what these characters are about. They don't have to run out and buy a bunch of back issues to find out who the characters are. They're learning as they go. That's one of the reasons that I'm enjoying Lobdell's Alpha Flight: because the majority of these characters are brand-new, and it's easy for me to get on board and follow what's going on without having to ask a bunch of questions, like "So how did so-and-so come to this decision since the last series?"

Does this make any sense?

Yes, it does make perfect sense. I have to admit that I've only read a few issues of v.2 (and that was at the time of the release) I've since bought all the v.2 issues and intend to read them after completing the re-read of v.1 - so my knowledge of that series is not good. I just remember at the time picking it up and thinking it odd that they would bring in a character with almost exactly the same powers as Persuasion, and as I rather liked her it kind of annoyed me.

I'm sure in the long run of the story arc it makes sense why they would have had to have new characters come into the Flight (as well as the reasons of new readers wouldn't be bogged down with too much history if the team was made-up of all veterans) and perhaps when I do read the whole story my opinion will change. I suppose at least in v.2 there were more original characters than we're getting in the all new v.3... but again, I should really reserve judgment.

Default Murmur\Persuasion

I think what made it even worse was that in the promo picture for the second series, Murmur was shaded with a light purple coloring. I doubt that it was intentional, but it made it even more annoying that she replaced Kara.
    I agree with the rationale behind why they chose a new character. I guess I just don't understand why they had to choose someone with such similar powers. If it was to control Sasquatch, they could have had a character with low-level telepathy or bestial communicative skills...

My thoughts on why Murmur instead of someone with low-level telepathy or bestial communications skills... well, maybe they wanted to play with the old plotline of Kara using her powers indiscriminately and selfishly. The difference, though, is that Kara had a good heart... and we can't really say the same for sure about Murmur, since she was so obviously under Department H control. She tried more than once to use her powers to kill (albeit, she was being controlled by Mesmero for one of those incidents). Murmur was a wildcard that Department H enjoyed having, because she could (if so ordered) make any member of that team do anything she wanted.

1. Series 2, #1.
    2. I first bought an AF title (without collecting) when V.1.125 came out. I rember seeing Northstar and Witchfire (tho I didn't learn their names until MUCH later...
    3. hmmm.... dunno... I'd say Byrne era Snowbird, or post-#100 Northstar (he was less of a jackass)
    4. 'character' or 'hero'?? well, let's assume hero - that would have to be Witchfire...
    5. Toss up between the Master and Kolomaq the Great Beast
    6. EASY!! Smart Alec and Llan the Sorcerer
    7. oooh, a toughie.... I'd say the first 12 iss' of vol. 1
    8. *drools at prspect*... um, sorry... Aurora, Nemesis, 'Star, Wildchild, Snowbird, and Sasquatch, just because every team needs a Wookie-wannabe... anyone else is just gravy
    9. what kind of question is that?? okay, I'll play along... for shear survival sake, Wildchild (in his sane days; don;t wanna end up food...)
    10. Was: Heather, Is: Well, there's only Walt right now, Could be:I think that Madison had potential...
    11. Byrne
    12. Mantlo, o'course. need you ask?
    13. Clark
    14. Rouleau
    15. I would have erased iss' 32 and 50 out of existence!
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

Byrne will always be my favorite, but the fact that the guy disses Alpha Flight and his work on it has left a bad taste in my mouth.
    Is this true? I've never read anything where Byrne would diss his work on AF. Somebody help me out here.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCanuck
    8. *drools at prspect*... um, sorry... Aurora, Nemesis, 'Star, Wildchild, Snowbird, and Sasquatch, just because every team needs a Wookie-wannabe... anyone else is just gravy
    Aurora over Heather, the fruit loop instead of the best leader Alpha Flight ever had ? Baffling

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCanuck
    15. I would have erased iss' 32 and 50 out of existence!
    With you on that.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Character wise I think Aurora has more potential than Heather - but then I've always prefered mad birds!

I liked Heather - don't get me wrong - but I prefer the orginal Heather rather than the various odd versions we got later on. Putting her in a suit was a bad move. Also her constant whinging at the loss of her husband and having to be leader always got on my nerves - the original Heather would not have done that. Guess it all boils down to who's writing her.

As for the whole Bryne hating the series that he helped create, I seem to remember reading somewhere (not too sure where) that he felt the characters were all too two dimensional or something and that it was too hard to write for them!!!! I'm really not sure if this is true or not, it seems particularly stupid coming from the person who CREATED these characters, surely if he was unhappy with them HE could have changed them???

Aurora and Heather where almost ruined as characters by Mantlo, but Heather made a strong comeback after Mantlo left, Aurora had been set on a path of malignant psychosis and all the following writers seemed to concentrate on that aspect of her character.

Since then Heathers been a mainstay of the team, while Aurora has just become more and pathetic. Tieri, has written her well, but only as a as a continuance of the psychotic nutter we see today. I'd like Aurora to become a member of AF again, but not as a liability, like she is now.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

1. How long have you been collecting Alpha Flight?

Since the new #1 that just came out.

2. What was your first memory of Alpha Flight? If recent, what was your first reaction?

Loved it!

3. Who is you favorite Alpha Flight character?

Sasquash

4. Who is you least favorite Alpha Flight character?

I don't know if the earthmover guy counts but I disliked him

5. Who is you favorite Alpha Flight villain?

The only one I can remeber that other shamman in wolverine around the 170's i think

6. Who is your least favorite Alpha Flight villain?

don't have one

7. What do you think is the best issue / story-arch from Alpha Flight?

So far the first isssue of the new series

8. What do you consider the Alpha Flight "Dream Team"?

All the peple in it now and Aurora

9. If you were to be stuck on a desert island with one member of Alpha Flight, Who would it be (powers can not get you off the island) The hot bartender chick

10. Who was/is/could be the best leader of Alpha Flight?

Sasqaush?

11. Who is your favorite Alpha Flight writer?

Scott Lobdell (Is that how you spell it?)

12. Who is your least favorite Alpha Flight writer?

None Well i guess I didn't like how chuck austen wrote them

13. Who is your favorite Alpha Flight artist?

Clayton Henery Loved his exiles to

14. Who is your least favorite Alpha Flight artist?

none

15. If you could undo one thing in Alpha Flight history, what would it be?

The earthmover guy

Quote Originally Posted by PWalk
    Byrne will always be my favorite, but the fact that the guy disses Alpha Flight and his work on it has left a bad taste in my mouth.
    Is this true? I've never read anything where Byrne would diss his work on AF. Somebody help me out here.
    I'm not one of those posters that makes up unfounded statements. All you need to do is read some of Byrne's responses on his own website to quickly determine his attitude regarding Alpha Flight. It's somewhat disappointing...

agreed, the first time I read Byrne's quotes on how he felt about AF, I felt like a child who's icream fell on the sidewalk.

1. How long have you been collecting Alpha Flight?

About nine months. I've only got the back-issues up to #50, as that seems to be where the series hit the "OK, this is no longer entertaining enough to be worth actual money" point.

2. What was your first memory of Alpha Flight? If recent, what was your first reaction?

*sigh* X-Men. Animated series. "Repo Men". Stop laughing -- I swear I can actually reach through this screen and do you bodily harm.

3. Who is you favorite Alpha Flight character?

Northstar. Snark, speed, and abandonment issues. What's not to love?

Sasquatch. My first impression of him in the comics was the dumb smart jock, and I'm afraid it's stuck.

5. Who is you favorite Alpha Flight villain?

Scrambler!

6. Who is your least favorite Alpha Flight villain?

The Swrts...the Svwerts...the Szvxth...the Dark Elves.

7. What do you think is the best issue / story-arch from Alpha Flight?

AF vol.1 #7 and #8 -- The Importance of Being Deadly and Cold Hands, Cold Heart. Special runner-up prize for "The Gift".

8. What do you consider the Alpha Flight "Dream Team"?

Easy question, that. Original volume one, issue one line-up.

9. If you were to be stuck on a desert island with one member of Alpha Flight, Who would it be (powers can not get you off the island)

Northstar. I hate feeling obligated to make conversation. Not a problem with that guy.

10. Who was/is/could be the best leader of Alpha Flight?

I thought they did just fine under Vindicator.

11. Who is your favorite Alpha Flight writer?

Byrne.

Can I say Chuck Austen just for writing a horrible, horrible Northstar? No? Lobdell, then.

13. Who is your favorite Alpha Flight artist?

Byrne.

14. Who is your least favorite Alpha Flight artist?

Whoever illustrated AF #106. Gag me.

15. If you could undo one thing in Alpha Flight history, what would it be?

Issue #50 never happened.

Welcome suzene!

About nine months. I've only got the back-issues up to #50, as that seems to be where the series hit the "OK, this is no longer entertaining enough to be worth actual money" point.
    True enough, though there certainly is some good stuff later on. I woule recomend you still get your hands on the Fuman run.

Sasquatch. My first impression of him in the comics was the dumb smart jock, and I'm afraid it's stuck.
    GASP! Say it aint so!

Can I say Chuck Austen just for writing a horrible, horrible Northstar? No? Lobdell, then.
    Though I haven't read much of the stuff Austin did "to" Alpha Flight, just the though of him putting them in battle armour offends me. As for Lobell, here's hoping you opinion changes. I'm keeping an open mind. I've enjoyed the book so far, and I have faith with the previes. But then again, I am an optimist

Ben

True enough, though there certainly is some good stuff later on. I woule recomend you still get your hands on the Fuman run.

From what I remember, I did not liked Furman run, I thought it was boring if I remember correctly.