Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: Alpha Flight Questionnaire

Welcome Ravenheart and Snowsquatch!

always great to have new members, not to mention brand new fans for Alpha Flight! Be careful in the cupboard, Del is threatening to moon you I think...

Ben

Welcome to the new members, nice to have you here. Take no notice about me mooning people, I have found it financially restrictive and the magistrate will not give you time to pay.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Quote Originally Posted by syvalois
    And I think that character ruined Northstar coming out issue.
    I think it was a long time coming, since it's a Byrne idea to begin with, going all the way back to issue #1.

Default Re: Alpha Flight Questionnaire

Quote Originally Posted by Ben
    1. How long have you been collecting Alpha Flight?

I don't, really...

2. What was your first memory of Alpha Flight? If recent, what was your first reaction?
    An old Avengers issue...They, the Avengers, and the People's Protectorate fought some schmucks called the Combine. Actually, Alpha Flight didn't get to do too much, and my favorite character was the Crimson Dynamo, but hey, I was just a kid...

3. Who is you favorite Alpha Flight character?
    Narya. Dear, dear Narya...

4. Who is you least favorite Alpha Flight character?
    Marrina. I just never got interested enough in her.

5. Who is you favorite Alpha Flight villain?
    See my avatar? That's who.

6. Who is your least favorite Alpha Flight villain?
    The Collective. Rassum-frassum wiping out the team...

7. What do you think is the best issue / story-arch from Alpha Flight?
    An old Claremont yarn, wherein the best incarnation of the X-Men ever teams up with Alpha Flight to check out a mystery up north. They run afoul of Loki, and a good time is had by all.

8. What do you consider the Alpha Flight "Dream Team"?
    Oh man, if I could pick?

Heather (Vindicator) as team leader
    Puck (Eugene Judd)
    Narya/Snowbird
    Northstar
    Sasquatch
    Shaman
    Logan/Wolverine/Weapon X (I always got a kick out of how he never really warmed up the the people who were almost his teammates... but still killed in Snowbird's defense)

9. If you were to be stuck on a desert island with one member of Alpha Flight, Who would it be (powers can not get you off the island)
    Huh. Probably Heather. I wouldn't want to leave the island. In all seriousness? Walter Langowski. A brilliant physicist. Forget his powers, let's use his brain...

10. Who was/is/could be the best leader of Alpha Flight?
    Heather Hudson. I especially liked her as leader before she got her suit, and had no powers. She was like Val Cooper, only, you know, good.

11. Who is your favorite Alpha Flight writer?
    Chris Claremont. I can;t recall if he ever wrote Alpha Flight itself, but I always enjoyed how he handled the team.

12. Who is your least favorite Alpha Flight writer?
    Haven't got one.

13. Who is your favorite Alpha Flight artist?
    Eh. Hard to say.

14. Who is your least favorite Alpha Flight artist?
    Whoever it was that manga-ed them up in the more recent stuff.

15. If you could undo one thing in Alpha Flight history, what would it be?
    One thing? Howzabout the cancellations? No?

Then I would've had Narya go on living... Oh well.
    "You cannot win, mailman Mike. If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine."

I'm horribly dating myself, but I bought issues from Byrne's run when they were new on the stands. So that's, what, 1983 or '84? Quite a while, anyway! Like a fan boy, I stuck with the post-Byrne issues for almost the entire series, finally giving up around issue 100 or so. Hopefully I won't be starting a fight, but that first series was pretty terrible post-Byrne. Your mileage may vary, of course!

2. What was your first memory of Alpha Flight? If recent, what was your first reaction?

First memory? Well, the earliest would probably be that shot of Mac standing in the empty Department H from issue 1 of the first series. But the most vivid memory is when Mac died in issue 12. That really got to me as a kid. I also knew I loved comics at that time, since I re-read that single issue to death.

That's a toughie. I love Mac from the Byrne run but I feel he's been changed quite a bit since then. But I love Puck (again, the Byrne run - I'm sounding kinda repetitive here, aren't I?) so he'll get my vote.

How to put this? What Bill Mantlo did to Roger Bochs screwed the pooch on one of my favourites. Bochs went from being a character I loved to a character I hated almost overnight. I'm going by memory here, but man...that bugged the hell out of me.

Jerome Jaxon.

Dreamqueen. Hands down.

Issues 11-12 from the 1st series. Though I have a major soft-spot for both the Great Beast run from issues 22-24 and also Byrne's send-off with Delphine Courtney impersonating Mac in 25-28.

Guardian (Mac), Snowbird, Aurora, Northstar, Puck, Sasquatch, Marinna

9. If you were to be stuck on a desert island with one member of Alpha Flight, Who would it be (powers can not get you off the island)

Mac or Puck. I can't choose.

Heather Hudson. And I'm talking the non-powered version here, folks. She was awesome as the glue that held the team together both before and after Mac died in the 1st series.

John Byrne.

Bill Mantlo. Ick.

Byrne.

Sadly, Mike Mignola. I love Hellboy so don't get me wrong. But Mignola here was still finding his legs and did a crappy job with the team.

Linking Puck's dwarfism to some form of mystical jail (Razer, I think?). I thought that was horrible, mainly because Mantlo (I think it was Mantlo) just couldn't leave it alone. Puck was supposed to be a man who overcame a disability to excel as a hero. But nooooo...he had to explain why Puck was a dwarf in the first place. That said, the Aurora/Northstar elf thing is up there, too.
    Quote: “Genius is really only the power of making continuous efforts. The line between failure and success is so fine that we scarcely know when we pass it — so fine that we are often on the line and do not know it… There is no failure except in no longer trying. There is no defeat except from within, no really insurmountable barrier save our own inherent weakness of purpose.”

By Anonymous

Welcome to Alpha Waves Von Allan!

be starting a fight, but that first series was pretty terrible post-Byrne. Your mileage may vary, of course!
    Oh, don't worry, many agree with you. Byrne run was definitly the best.

How to put this? What Bill Mantlo did to Roger Bochs screwed the pooch on one of my favourites. Bochs went from being a character I loved to a character I hated almost overnight. I'm going by memory here, but man...that bugged the hell out of me.
    totally agree there

Yes, I agree and what to think of bimbo Aurora? awful!

Dreamqueen. Hands down.

Funny, that's one of the only thing I liked about Mantlo

Sadly, Mike Mignola. I love Hellboy so don't get me wrong. But Mignola here was still finding his legs and did a crappy job with the team.
    I agree with you but it's not only Mignola's fault, it's also the inkers fault. Talaoc(sp?) had a too strong inking, look at the covers they looked a lot better.

Linking Puck's dwarfism to some form of mystical jail (Razer, I think?).[...]. That said, the Aurora/Northstar elf thing is up there, too.
    yes, I agree
    Quand l'appétit va, tout va!
    -Obélix

Transmetropolitan, Do you hate Val Cooper too?
    "I can't believe this. I actually have a crush on a hologram! I don't know whether I should talk to a psychologist or an electrician!" Kyle, referring to Shard

Quote Originally Posted by darc_light
    Transmetropolitan, Do you hate Val Cooper too?
    With the burning passion of a thousand suns.
    "You cannot win, mailman Mike. If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine."

Time for some updates.

Only recently. Within the last 2 months or so. It began as a conversation where I dismissed AF as "totally boring." In particular, I hated the costumes.

Really stupid costumes.

EDIT: My current opinion is: Most of the costumes have been poorly rendered at some point, making them seem dorkier than they could be. For instance, Snowbird's costume has undergone virtually no changes over the years, but sometimes she looks awful, and sometimes she looks great.

I find Heather's dorkiness is proportional to the size of her googles.

The "big P" costume is always dumb looking, though. Puck looked his best in vol 2. Loved that mustache!

Heather.

EDIT: I still like Heather, but if there is ever a volume 4, she and Mac should go into semi-retirement, perhaps as directors of Department H. Time to let other AFers shine.

Sasquatch is my new favorite. Hard to imagine AF without Sassy.

4. Who is your least favorite Alpha Flight character?
    Major Mapleleaf.

EDIT: I recognize that AF vol 3 was just a lark, so MM is a natural fit for that kind of thing. But he remains a pretty bland character with a silly name. (If he doesn't have any powers, why would AF bring him along to fight the Collective? Duh!)

Nemesis.

EDIT: I would like to see Nemesis in a more villainous role in any AF vol 4. She was very menacing in vol 3, and I really believed she wanted to gut Sas in #2. I can imagine that if Rudy were to die before her, she would spend her remaining days being a royal pain to AF, especially if they contributed (in her mind) to his demise.

Overall, the greatest weakness of the AF series is a lack of decent villains. Job number one of vol 4's writer is developing good recurring villains. Is Aurora still screwed up from HoM? She could be a good villain. Is Jeffries still screwed up from Weapon X? Him too.

Having three former Alphans as villains could make for a great run. Just keep them separate, not in an "Omega Flight" type team. (Been there, done that.) No more sinister Dept H plots, either. (Been there, done that to death.)

I'll get back to you, but the fat Pearl probably.

EDIT: Pink Pearl remains the worst villain ever.

a) Death of Mac leading to Heather leading AF.
    b) Snowbird killing Sasquatch, then Sasquatch coming back in Snowbird's body.

ADDED:

7.1. What do you think is the worst issue / story-arc from AF?
    AF vol 3 issues 9-12. Time travel stories suck.

Heather, Shaman, Sasquatch. Maybe Puck. (I see Snowbird as having left for Goddesshood forever.)

EDIT: If I have to choose a new AF team for volume 4, it's be:
    Northstar, returning from X-Men to lead AF (under Dept H's new civilian directors, Mac and Heather)
    Sasquatch (of course)
    Talisman
    Zusha Yu

Thus, Northstar, Sas, Talisman, and Puck II would be the main spearhead of AF, with Mac, Heather, Shaman, Puck I, Snowbird, etc available to "backup" when required. They would also be mentors to the spearhead characters.

I see Northstar, Talisman, and Puck II as "being developed" over time by Mac, Shaman, and Puck I into a formidable force. Thus, Northstar begins as arrogant and irresponsible, but eventually a true leader emerges. (See more below.) Puck II and Talisman both grow to be the main brawler and mystic. Sas remains the stable core that the more evolving characters develop around.

I would like Talisman to return to AF, mostly because she's a cool classic AFer from the Byrne era. Also, I have this feeling of "unfinished business" between her and Shaman that needs to be concluded.

I recently finished reading Lobdell's AF vol 3. I really grew to like Yusha Yu, and would like to see more of her. This is another circumstance of "unfinished business" as well.

9. If you were to be stuck on a desert island with one member of Alpha Flight, Who would it be (powers can not get you off the island).
    Heather. Every other gal has serious mental problems.

EDIT: Add Zusha to that list.

I prefer Heather. I think Mac was a good leader 'til he died.

EDIT: Obviously, I'd like to see Northstar given a chance. I just see this as natural character evolution: we saw him chafe under the leadership of Mac and Heather, so let's see him when the shoe is on the other foot.

Partly, this is motivated by a desire to see the Aurora story arc from HoM concluded. Seeing Northstar taking the lead to resolve her shift to the dark side just seems so natural and inevitable to me. The fact that Northstar has his own darkness to deal with makes it all the more interesting.

Of course, as the new leader, his costume will require a subtle alteration to the right-hand side:

John Byrne, hands down.

No opinion, but whoever brought Major Mapleleaf in should be tarred and feathered.

EDIT: My opinion of Lobdell is mixed. Reading vol 3 for what it is - a lark and a spoof - I can appreciate the self-referential humor. It was very funny at times. But that run has sooo many problems. Even after 12 issues, the powers of several characters remained unclear, and the timeline of AF was so horribly screwed I don't know what's what now. Who died in New Avengers 12 - the time-displaced AF? Is there still an AF in space en route to Plodexia? Are they coming back? [Head hurts]

Worst of all: where were the villains? Twelve issue, and the only fight sequences included a cloned AF, waxed Marvel heroes, Big Hero Six, and each other! (Ok, the alternate timeline Box looked great, but still...)

Another hard one. I'll get back to you.

EDIT: The artwork of Clayton Henry was just awesome. The action sequences were just so dynamic. I mean, I think Marrina is a boring character, but she just looked so great in issue 3 that I'd accept her back just because she looked so interesting and distinctive there! Sasquatch looks just amazing in those 10 issues, and all the other AFers just seem more alive than I've ever seen them before.

Cut it out already!

EDIT: Gotta say, whoever did vol 3 #7-8 really had a tough act to follow. (Ross, was it?) It was hard too look at.

But so far, my least favorite art ever was in "The Gift" X-Men/AF book. (Paul Smith and Bob Wiacek?) Everyone looked their worst in that book, Sassy especially.

Major Mapleleaf.

EDIT: Or, I would just erase AF vol 7-12.

Since vol. 1, issue 11.

Seeing the back of Guardian with the unknown figures in the background, pulled from a spinner rack in my local Waldenbooks.

Guardian, most definitely.

Anyone introduced after Byrne left.

Hmm...Delphine Courtney?

Gilded Lily

AF 11-12

Guardian, Shaman, Sasquatch, Snowbird, Aurora, Puck, Northstar, Talisman, Box

How could it possibly be anyone but Aurora? Not Jeanne-Marie. Aurora.

Guardian

Mr. Byrne

Dunno, I stopped collecting after issue 28

Again, John Byrne

See number 12

The Death of Guardian. While it cemented my love of the series, it also took away my newest favorite character. Tough stuff for a then 9 year old kid.

16. First Post. I'm the proud owner of the Guardian vs. Omega Flight commission that John Byrne did a little while back.

Whoops, double post. My clever way of bumping up my numbers so early in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Maxwell

Guardian, Shaman, Sasquatch, Snowbird, Aurora, Puck, Northstar, Talisman, Box
    Roger Bochs, I assume?

What about Jeffries? He's a Byrne character.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Maxwell
    I'm the proud owner of the Guardian vs. Omega Flight commission that John Byrne did a little while back.
    Damn cool. Can we see some pics showing how you mounted it?

Definitely Roger Bochs inside the robot/armor. Roger was a good soul. Heard he died, which is too bad.

I liked what I saw of Jeffries, he had a very useful power. I'm not sure he was the joining type, but who knows what John would have done with him.

I still haven't had the commission framed, sorry to say. I'm still trying to convince the wife to let me put it where I want it hanged. I'll probably do a basic black frame with UV glass.

for a good 8 years since I was about 11

Marvel Universe Vol 2 I thought sasquatch was awesome I think I saw it in like 1991

Roger Boch's Box with Sasquatch coming at second

tossup between windshear and Purple girl

Deadly Ernest he had alot of potential

Caliber yes from issue #23

Gilded Lily {20-21}, I also like 44-46 with Box fighting Sasquatch

Sasquatch as leader, Puck I, Shaman, Northstar, Aurora, Snowbird, Marrina, Roger Bochs with his helmut

Sasquatch II just cause he would be very intresting to be around and would find stuff to eat and to survive

Mac by a long shot

John Byrne

none really they all have their ways of representing the characters pretty well

John Byrne

Mike Mignola I hated his box

The Way Box I was killed total destruction of a great character