Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Alpha Flight Questionnaire

I think he's referring to the second time, just after the 'Building Blocks' arc. FabNics first four issues. Mac comes back from Roxxon again, but as was pointed out, why didn't any one say "Hang about, been here before".
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

My point in asking, actually, wasn't to ask the question "Why didn't anyone point out that we've done this before?", it was to ask the question "Isn't Mac's REAL return from the dead, seemingly orchestrated by Roxxon, a little convenient just as the team decides to start working for the government again?"

Furman's run, especially, had me wondering if perhaps Alpha Flight hadn't bitten off more than they could chew. The whole situation with Hagon's Bill and the Hardliners, it just seemed like the government manipulated Alpha Flight into having to enforce Hagon's Bill, something I wonder if Heather Hudson would have stood for in the past. She's shown before that she has no problem packing up and leaving with the team if they're put into a morally compromising position. So why at that point in time would Alpha Flight remain with the government?

I'm just wondering if Mac's return from the dead had anything to do with that, if perhaps the two are interconnected. Probably not, but there's a lot of subtext if you look for it (at least, I noticed it).

Quote Originally Posted by Major Mapleleaf Jr
    To my count, Mac has only returned from the dead twice. Once, during Building Blocks. Then, during No Future. I don't count the clone, for obvious reasons. So I honestly don't see how some people have said that Mac has returned from the dead soooooo many times."
    I don't know. I'm thinking returning from the dead once is more than enough for most folks. Just enough to tell stories about the white light at the end of the tunnel. If you keep coming back eventually folks will start thinking you're making up the part about the voice saying "Take a number!" I'm a big proponent of "dead is dead". Ressucitate if necessary, but don't exhume the body first!

Barnacle

Default Re: Alpha Flight Questionnaire

1. How long have you been collecting Alpha Flight?
    The whole time (lol). I got it right from number one and was a solid Byrne Victim by tweleve when Mac died...erm...the first time around. I stopped for a while in college due to funds but went back and tracked down every single missed issue, re-upped my subscription and within a year it was cancelled. I looked at the V2 series, but even my local comic store didnt' get many for the shelves so I envision having to scrounge up those twenty issues too. Now, V3. Disappointing, but at least it's AF.

2. What was your first memory of Alpha Flight? If recent, what was your first reaction?
    I'd have to say it was the cover for #1. It was previewed in all the Marvel mags and Sasquatch lumbering over the bounding figure of Puck, the obviously enigmatic leader figure of Shaman (quite obviously also not in front and in the lead!). It ws jsut so cool. I think what drew me in was the clear intent to portray Native American culture and mythos as well as Canadian sensibilities, although it took me years to "get it" that Puck's code name was derived from the hockey equipment and not the Shakespearean Sprite.(lol)

3. Who is you favorite Alpha Flight character?
    Too tough to call. Puck, Shaman and Guardian I are right up there, but the deapth of the characters made them all favorites, like a family, just like the X-Men of the Byrne/Claremont era.

4. Who is you least favorite Alpha Flight character?
    Um...there's characters I know less about. I don't know any of the V2 versions, but there's been at least one baddie they've killed ...oh...a half dozen times. Let that one go.

5. Who is you favorite Alpha Flight villain?
    I loved the Master's backstory, but then I'm pretty old school. There's so many good ones, but it's gotta be the Master in the long run - the tragic villain.

6. Who is your least favorite Alpha Flight villain?
    At the time, I thought the Dreamqueen arc just dragged on far too long. Her I got tired of.

7. What do you think is the best issue / story-arc from Alpha Flight?
    It's been so long since I read the old issues. I guess apart fromt he "Robo-Guardian" arc in the early issues, I'd have to say the Lionel Jefferies arc was cool. The first one. When he mutated into that huge nasty thing, that was pretty wild. But then, the quest to retrieve Saquatches sould from the Great Beast...hmmm...

8. What do you consider the Alpha Flight "Dream Team"?
    Shaman, Sasquatch, Guardian (Heather), Major Mapleleaf, Centennial, Puck, Snowbird, Diamond Lil, Flashback, Wildchilde, Box, Smart Alec, Persuasion and Nemesis. Essentially, make each of them AF members but split the group into "Action Teams" specific to any given mission.

9. If you were to be stuck on a desert island with one member of Alpha Flight, Who would it be (powers can not get you off the island)
    Talisman. All the food and shelter could easily be provided by her magic and she's hot too. (lol)

10. Who was/is/could be the best leader of Alpha Flight?
    Shaman.

11. Who is your favorite Alpha Flight writer?
    Byrne, hands down.

12. Who is your least favorite Alpha Flight writer?
    No idea. Were there bad ones?

13. Who is your favorite Alpha Flight artist?
    Byrne again.

14. Who is your least favorite Alpha Flight artist?
    They were all pretty good.

15. If you could undo one thing in Alpha Flight history, what would it be?[/quote]
    Judd being a dwarf due to his posession by the deamon Raazer. I always liked that each character was internally troubled and burdened with his or her own internal conflict(s). Jean-Paul had homosexuality and an aversion to being touched. Jeane-Marie had split personalities. Sasquatch was stuck (way back when) as a huge orange beast and Judd suffered from dwarfism and was in love with Heather. To me, these were enough to keep the characters human and real. The Raazer introduction took away something special from the character and sort of erased the notion that little people can accomplish things spectacular, which I found much more interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Mapleleaf Jr
    To my count, Mac has only returned from the dead twice. Once, during Building Blocks. Then, during No Future. I don't count the clone, for obvious reasons. So I honestly don't see how some people have said that Mac has returned from the dead soooooo many times."
    Two times doesn't seem like a lot? (lol)

Default Re: Alpha Flight Questionnaire

On & off for the last year or 2

2. What was your first memory of Alpha Flight? If recent, what was your first reaction?
    Vol. 1 Series 1, loved the fact that I could read about a group of Canadian heroes

geez? I guess it would be Puck &/or Sasquatch

can't think of 1 right now

Pink Pearl.... no I'd say.....probably the Master

Llan

7. What do you think is the best issue / story-arch from Alpha Flight?
    The Alpha Flight/X-Men mini series

The Gaurdian
    Puck
    Box
    Snowbird
    Sasquatch
    Shaman
    Marrina
    Vindicator
    North Star
    Aurora

9. If you were to be stuck on a desert island with one member of Alpha Flight, Who would it be (powers can not get you off the island)
    Sasquatch

The Guardian

can't think of 1 at the moment or 1 that sticks out over the others

see above

John Bryne

Jeez!!! where do I start!!! it's no wonder the original series failed!!!

15. If you could undo one thing in Alpha Flight history, what would it be?
    I would have never broken up the original line up

Hi TheRoy! Glad to see you posting Always nice to see a lurker come out from the woodwork

If you have been reading AF for 2 years, I'm curious what it was that got you attention, what with no series being printed at that time.

Nice to have you, hope you don't hide in the shadows of the cupboard too much

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Ben
    Hi TheRoy! Glad to see you posting Always nice to see a lurker come out from the woodwork

If you have been reading AF for 2 years, I'm curious what it was that got you attention, what with no series being printed at that time.

Nice to have you, hope you don't hide in the shadows of the cupboard too much

Ben
    Hey Ben,
    Long story short I found a box of comics in the garbage that contained Alpha Flight & X-Men comics & it reminded me of when I first started collecting Alpha I sold the X-men & since the Alpha issue's were in great shape I decided to start collecting them again for fun,I haven't collected comics for over 10 years but I thought I go back to my teenage years & do the Alpha Flight series,Vol.1,Vol.2 & Vol. 3
    I spend most of my time collecting Hockey cards now but I'll be adding a Wantlist/Tradelist of the Alpha Flight issue's I still need hopfully someone here can help me out with the specific issue's I need to complete my "sets"
    Thx
    Eric
    TheRoy
    Tradepage @http://www.freewebs.com/theroy/

Since the beginning of Volume 3.

I think it was a issue of Classic X-Men that reprinted X-Men Vs Alpha Flight, I thought that the Flight would be down for the count (at the time I was a major X-Fan).

Sasquatch

Geomancer, as I know very little about hi,

The Master was quite cool during the 80's, but I always saw Omega Flight as the best villians.

The US team that tackled Alpha Flight during "Acts Of Vengence".

7. What do you think is the best issue / story-arc from Alpha Flight?
    Currently, IMO its V3 but I also like the very early issues of V1.

Sasquatch, Puck II, Nemesis, Heather, Shaman, Mac, Snowbird and Box

Puck II

I think Sasquatch is doing a great job at the moment, but from what I've read of V1 - Heather is the better leader.

Lobdell or Byrne

Dont have one yet

I'm not too up on artists but I like the current "animated" look of Alpha Flight.

As 12.

Alpha Flights past - nothing. What I would undo is The Masters death in Avengers. At the time I thought it was cool, but now I think he should have survived, crawled off and be waiting in the shadows.
    So Says Scarlettspiderg! And yes that is my letter (GP) in ANAD AF 12.

since I was in 4th grade (198 I read a reprint of Classic Xmen when they appeared and I was hooked
    When Northstar and Aurora blinded Nightcrawler and captured him
    Northstar though Mac comes close
    Wyre-never liked him
    Master-have to go with the first
    Jerry Jaxson-the bastard "killed" Mac
    7. What do you think is the best issue / story-arch from Alpha Flight?
    IMHO the vol2 ish 12 where the wild Sasquatch died was really good
    Guardian (Mac)
    Vindicator
    Northstar
    Aurora
    Sasquatch
    Puck
    Wolverine
    Aurora-hot babe with hormones to match-that was too easy
    Puck could be the best
    Seagle's run was good. I dont care what other people say
    Niceza???
    Jim Lee-nuff said
    the guy that did the art witht he Headlock arc where Diamond Lil gets breast lump
    Wolverine leaving

1. How long have you been collecting Alpha Flight? Since first edition #27

2. What was your first memory of Alpha Flight? If recent, what was your first reaction? I picked up AF at a drug store one day...the same day I bought one of those old Thing comics(as a wrestler, remember those classics?

3. Who is you favorite Alpha Flight character? Aurora

4. Who is you least favorite Alpha Flight character? Not a big fan of that new tribal guy...the guy with the long name

5. Who is you favorite Alpha Flight villain? Loki...yes I know hes not an AF villain, but I really liked those couple

6. Who is your least favorite Alpha Flight villain? lol oh well there were some lame ones, I'll just say Wyre(if that was his name)

7. What do you think is the best issue / story-arch from Alpha Flight? The Byrne Super Skrull issues

8. What do you consider the Alpha Flight "Dream Team"? Aurora/Sasquatch/Vindicator(Heather)/Windsheare(don't laugh)/Purple Girl(I hear u laughing again)

9. If you were to be stuck on a desert island with one member of Alpha Flight, Who would it be (powers can not get you off the island) ...Aurora, no brainer

10. Who was/is/could be the best leader of Alpha Flight? Heather

11. Who is your favorite Alpha Flight writer? Byrne

12. Who is your least favorite Alpha Flight writer? One of the random ones toward the end of series one(name escapes me)

13. Who is your favorite Alpha Flight artist? Jim Lee

14. Who is your least favorite Alpha Flight artist? Rouleau

15. If you could undo one thing in Alpha Flight history, what would it be? um, the crappy artwork during series two that I think led to its short run

Wellcome MattSD! If someone in the cupboard bites you, don't worry, they are just taste testing.

AF 9/10 of vol.1 is also my favorite story line. I however am one of the few people it would seem that like Duncan Rouleau's work on AF. I also aint' laughin' at your choices for dream team Windshear was a good character that just didn't get developed enough, and I liked Purple Girl too.

Ben

1. Since the beginning of vol. 2. I also bought all the back ishs of vol. 1

2. I first saw Alpha Flight in that old X-Men cartoon.

3. My favorite is Talisman

4. least favorite: tie between Chuck Moss and Mannikin

5. Favorite villian: the Master

6. least favorite: Omega/scrambler

7. the best story arc was the llan, the sorcerer arc

8. My Alpha "dream team" would be: Guardian, Vindicator, Puck, Shaman, Sasquatch, Talisman, Flex and Ghost Girl.

9. Aurora!

10. Heather is/was/could be the best leader

11. Hundall was the best.

12. Bill Mantlo was, by far, the worst.

13. I actually really like Henery

14. That Calimme (sp?) guy from the late 80's

15. the "Heather kills a member every other issue" era

Quote Originally Posted by oneyoungman
    7. the best story arc was the llan, the sorcerer arc
    14. That Calimme (sp?) guy from the late 80's
    15. the "Heather kills a member every other issue" era
    7. My problem with this arc is that Hudnall seemed to run out of steam towards the end of it. Some glaring continuity glitches, even in the same issue. I think the last issue of the arc highlights this best. "Talisman, I shall keep you alive so you can see man pollute and destroy this world" (not verbatim) about two pages later "Talisman, I must kill you now, or you could thwart my plans" (again not verbatim). Oi! fella, make your bloody mind up

14. Won't get any arguement from me. The next 'Steve Rude', my arse.

15. Each and every death explained in a clear and concise way (where's the sarcasm smiley)
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Welcome oneyoungman!

I also really enjoyed Hud's writing, and think it would have gone over better without Calimee's art to cheapen it. Like Del said, he kinda ran outa steam at the end, but I'm guessing that was after Marvel told him he was out and had to wrap certain things up.

Ben