Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Alpha Flight Questionnaire

Quote Originally Posted by Ben
    Welcome Nufan2af! No better place on earth to share you thoughts on AF, and to learn all the history you can handle Don't let the gremlins in the closet scare you, they keep the back issues in order.

Ben
    Uh Ben, about the gremlins... we kinda went out for drinks for Canada Day and they kinda had a little too much and they started a fight...

They were wondering if you could post bail?

1. How long have you been collecting Alpha Flight? Not very long. First issue I actually bought was Volume 3 #6.

2. What was your first memory of Alpha Flight? If recent, what was your first reaction? Repo Man, several years ago.

3. Who is you favorite Alpha Flight character? Northstar, with Diamond Lil a close second.

4. Who is your least favorite Alpha Flight character? Wyre. Goblyn and Manbot get honourable mentions.

5. Who is your favorite Alpha Flight villain? Dreamqueen.

6. Who is your least favorite Alpha Flight villain? Raazor, but the Brass Bishop rather sucked as well.

7. What do you think is the best issue / story-arch from Alpha Flight? I'm partial to Volume 1 #7-8.

8. What do you consider the Alpha Flight "Dream Team"? Guardian, Vindicator, Northstar, Aurora, Shaman, Snowbird, Diamond Lil, Madison Jeffries, Puck, Sasquatch

9. If you were to be stuck on a desert island with one member of Alpha Flight, Who would it be (powers can not get you off the island) Madison Jeffries

10. Who was/is/could be the best leader of Alpha Flight? Heather Hudson

11. Who is your favorite Alpha Flight writer? John Byrne, but I've always had a soft spot for Scott Lobdell.

12. Who is your least favorite Alpha Flight writer? Bill Mantlo. Ugh.

13. Who is your favorite Alpha Flight artist? In order, John Byrne, Clayton Henry, Jim Lee.

14. Who is your least favorite Alpha Flight artist? John Calimee, with Duncan Rouleau right on his tail.

15. If you could undo one thing in Alpha Flight history, what would it be? Raazor, yo. Also, the death/resurrection/death/resurrection/death/resurrection of Mac.

1. How long have you been collecting Alpha Flight?
    Since Issue 1 vol 1
    2. What was your first memory of Alpha Flight? If recent, what was your first reaction?
    Seeing a dwarf as a superhero, very cool.
    3. Who is you favorite Alpha Flight character?
    Guardian(heather)
    4. Who is you least favorite Alpha Flight character?
    Flex
    5. Who is you favorite Alpha Flight villain?
    Dreamqueen
    6. Who is your least favorite Alpha Flight villain?
    Master
    7. What do you think is the best issue / story-arch from Alpha Flight?
    No Future, The whole Dreamqueen/Sorcerer sage
    8. What do you consider the Alpha Flight "Dream Team"?
    Guardian, Sasquatch, Northstar, Shaman, PurpleGirl, Puck, Manikin, Windshear
    9. If you were to be stuck on a desert island with one member of Alpha Flight, Who would it be (powers can not get you off the island)
    Witchfire
    10. Who was/is/could be the best leader of Alpha Flight?
    Guardian(Heather)
    11. Who is your favorite Alpha Flight writer?
    John Bryne
    12. Who is your least favorite Alpha Flight writer?
    Don't have one
    13. Who is your favorite Alpha Flight artist?
    Don't have one
    14. Who is your least favorite Alpha Flight artist?
    Don't have one
    15. If you could undo one thing in Alpha Flight history, what would it be?
    Resurection of Mac and the latest series
    The Legend Has Now Been Reborn...

since John Byrne started with issue no. 1 but unfortunatly my mom threw 'em out

2. What was your first memory of Alpha Flight? If recent, what was your first reaction?
    in an old marvel jigsaw puzzle that I'm pretty sure had puck in it

Guardian, Sasquatch, Shaman, and Snowbird

didn't really care for Marrina when I was young

The Master

Llan

I think best story arch was when Mac died and Heather had to put on the mantle

the Originals

9. If you were to be stuck on a desert island with one member of Alpha Flight, Who would it be (powers can not get you off the island)
    torn between snowbird and shaman.

Heather, I guess

John Byrne

Bill Mantlo

John Byrne

John Calimee

diddo on Ben's comment.

Since they showed up in the early days of Exiles I've been buying a lot of the old issues.

2. What was your first memory of Alpha Flight?
    My friend told me he bought an issue of Team Canada - The Comic. It was Alpha Flight.

Snowbird

Talisman

Scrambler (sure it was just for awhile, but he was cool)

The Master (he is cool yeh, but too much talking-and narrating)

7. What do you think is the best issue/story-arch from Alpha Flight?
    Too many to choose

Vindicator (Heather)
    Puck
    Sasquatch
    Northstar and Aurora
    Shaman
    Box
    Snowbird

Box (Jefferies), I'm sure he could make like a TV or something

Puck

They all had their good issues and their bad.

as above.

They are all pretty good.

Like I said.

Mac on the Ganymede, I'm sure they could have done something better than that.

As I'm in the vicinity, felt it was only proper to welcome the newcomers. All newcomers should be officially welcomed, but Bens back on the sauce and is remiss in his duties. So hi to all of you and enjoy yourselfs.

must reanswer this one day
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Quote Originally Posted by DelBubs
    As I'm in the vicinity, felt it was only proper to welcome the newcomers. All newcomers should be officially welcomed, but Bens back on the sauce and is remiss in his duties. So hi to all of you and enjoy yourselfs.

must reanswer this one day
    Shanks dEl *hick*. Welcome nooooobies....if yas find any boose in the cupbored, 'member, it's MINE....*hick*

Ben

collecting, hmm, this sounds bad, but i don't collect, i've been given a near compleat set, (color xeroxes of most of the olders issues), then i lost interest after vol 2 was canceled

seeing jim lees art work

sasquach, (i cant spell), hes also my fav to draw

manbot, i mean he's a joke, a box wtih a head

when they engage eachother, cause those are the hardest battles to win, if they win they lose, so how to win?

mesmero, i hated doing that spiral on his forhead, and come on, purple

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

I wonder if Carlson is going to complete his questionnaire, and I wonder if anybody else is going to fill out the questionnaire?
    Once upon a time, they exploded from the pages of The X-Men. For a moment, they were "Canada's answer to The Avengers."

They were ALPHA FLIGHT....

...once upon a time.

1. How long have you been collecting Alpha Flight? -Since 2000 when I first got a Snowbird Action Figure at closeout. Still have her and all the other things that came with her,

2. What was your first memory of Alpha Flight? If recent, what was your first reaction? -The scambled eggs monster in AF #23?

3. Who is you favorite Alpha Flight character? -Snowbird

4. Who is you least favorite Alpha Flight character? -None

5. Who is you favorite Alpha Flight villain? - Dream Queen

6. Who is your least favorite Alpha Flight villain? - Pestilence

7. What do you think is the best issue / story-arch from Alpha Flight? - Purple Girl's intro

8. What do you consider the Alpha Flight "Dream Team"? -The Original Team

9. If you were to be stuck on a desert island with one member of Alpha Flight, Who would it be (powers can not get you off the island) - Snowbird

10. Who was/is/could be the best leader of Alpha Flight? -Guardian

11. Who is your favorite Alpha Flight writer? -All

12. Who is your least favorite Alpha Flight writer? -N/A

13. Who is your favorite Alpha Flight artist? -All again

14. Who is your least favorite Alpha Flight artist? -None

15. If you could undo one thing in Alpha Flight history, what would it be? - The death of Snowbird and her family.

Default ok allready, ill finish the questionier (sorry, i forgot)

collecting, hmm, this sounds bad, but i don't collect, i've been given a near compleat set, (color xeroxes of most of the olders issues), then i lost interest after vol 2 was canceled

seeing jim lees art work
    - back when i was trying to break into the comic book field, a friend of mine, Jason Johnson, and i had the same goal, so we helped eachother to: get our art skills to a professional level, gain a much more compleat and current understanding of the ins and outs of the industry, and to push ourselves and eachother to keep getting better., it was jason that introduced me to the master's work, Jim Lee, starting with alpha flight, then punisher, then x men. jason and i were hired by jim lee personally, at nearly the same time. image didn't even know that we not only knew eachother , let alone the fact we 'coincidentally' were hired in the same week.

sasquach, (i cant spell), hes also my fav to draw
    and ink, at the time of alpha flight, i was really into doing: liquid metal shine, long hair, and what i thought was going to get me noticed by wizard, using textures to create shadows, instead of the standard hatch lines. and no one noticed, oh well

manbot, i mean he's a joke, a box wtih a head
    - actually the one i hated the most, mesmero, just look at him; a purple cape, orange and purple spandex jumpsuit, and most hatted of all.. the spiral on his forhead! that was hard to do!! if only i had kept that 'spiralgram' thingy from when i was a kid, you know, the thing that had different circular pieces of plastic, that would be spun around by different color pens, creating neat o looking spiral patterns.

when they engage eachother, cause those are the hardest battles to win, if they win they lose, so how to win?

mesmero, i hated doing that spiral on his forhead, and come on, purple
    - um, i guess i answered this in question four

7. What do you think is the best issue / story-arch from Alpha Flight? hmm, the whole puck, heather, guardian love triangle was soo lame, mainly because that same idea/storyline has been done to death a thousand times over, again and again in (probably) every comic book ever made, serriously. the best? usually whatever im into at the moment

since i tend to see things from the inside - out, id say, jim lee penciling, or at least storyboarding, me inking (of course), and a three year story arc written by; burne/jones/claremont (hey, he does come up with some good ideas for new characters and how to introduce them) /and topped off with dedication and endless hard work and effort given by everyone involved!!!

9. If you were to be stuck on a desert island with one member of Alpha Flight, Who would it be (powers can not get you off the island) hmm, tough choice.. not really, Heather! after all, the version scott did, had the likeness of a certan adult film actress. when i was given the first couple of images of alpha flight to ink, scott thought it proper that i understood the 'feel' of the character... so, we took a trip to a certain strip club, where she was appearing in person, where a certain someone droped a large wad of money, and he, i mean, we had her nearly to ourselves most of the night. now that left an impression.

not sure, im not all that familiar with the majority of a f storylines.

11. Who is your favorite Alpha Flight writer? not sure, usually whatever i was into at the time, but in reality, steve seagle, but for personal reasons; on the 'Allerga' mini series, scott wanted me to ink him, but the staff at wildstorm said no way, after all, at that time i hadn't even inked an entire issue by myself ('still wet behind the ears'), but steve and scott 's decision to have me be inker made the differance, other wise i'd still be doing backgrounds and the occational work for someone else who was late on a deadline

12. Who is your least favorite Alpha Flight writer? most of them

13. Who is your favorite Alpha Flight artist? jim lee, still

14. Who is your least favorite Alpha Flight artist? all of them! (only because the penciler, could request that i be their inker, and none of them have, boo hoo, i think that peoples opinions were tainted by scott's deadline performance. the editors at marvel knew i was reliable and could do my work in less than standard time, but, after a f , i found myself jumping from issue to issue, title to title, and have to do 'ghosting' work, that's when i ink pages in damn near the same style as the normal inker, without getting printed credit, but it ussually paid more. that ussally happened when their was a deadline crunch, or someone 'droped the ball'

15. If you could undo one thing in Alpha Flight history, what would it be? hindsight is twenty twenty, so i would have found a way to keep scott motivated and comited, hell, since then i' ve become a decent enough penciler, so i would have spent more time developing my penciling skills at image, since i now know how to ink, i wouldn't need to be williams/garner/mcweeny/etc. ink assistant, i woud instead have been a penciling assitant to lee, portacio, and everyone else. but we can't go back in time, so i'll just have to continue being a graphic designer/web designer/ and doing the ocasionall book cover as an illustrator, in my current job at http://www.amistudios.com -where i still take pride in my work!!
    check out this site www.shooshtime.com
    I've downloaded A hot tub comercial, when 1 female models kinda poops in the tub, she must have been sick, best part is when the dude pushes the other models out of the way, and jumps

Default Re: ok allready, ill finish the questionier (sorry, i forgot

Quote Originally Posted by Carlson
    14. Who is your least favorite Alpha Flight artist? all of them! (only because the penciler, could request that i be their inker, and none of them have, boo hoo, i think that peoples opinions were tainted by scott's deadline performance. the editors at marvel knew i was reliable and could do my work in less than standard time, but, after a f , i found myself jumping from issue to issue, title to title, and have to do 'ghosting' work, that's when i ink pages in damn near the same style as the normal inker, without getting printed credit, but it ussually paid more. that ussally happened when their was a deadline crunch, or someone 'droped the ball'
    You gotta do a Q&A one day Chris, could be fun
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

1) How long Collecting?

Reading since the beginning....stopped for a long time ....Sorry

2)First Memory?

Vindicator (Mac) Bursting on the scene to capture Wolverine...I fell in love with the Costume right away....mom Made me a Halloween costume of Mac when I was 15!!!!!

3)Favorite Character?

Vindicator (Mac) sorry I love heather, but Mac is the V-MAN! You never forget your first love..

4)Least Favorite?

Windshear....never cared for the powers or the costume....never grabbed me..

5)Favorite Villian?

The Master...I know he never reached potential but a great concept...Part Dr. Doom ....Part Ras Al Ghoul

6)Least Fav Villian?

Too many to mention.....writers remember AF is not the X-men....

7)Best Storyline?

The Byrne run...I tell my kids today that Byrne's concept of the team meeting full force two or three times during a 12-14 issue run with intermingled solo/team ups of the AF heroes is still today, the best concept for writing a team book....

Worst Storyline?

Pick a Mantlo stryline and it may qualify....

9)Stuck on an Island?

Mac, he's the coolest Aphan ever...but being a man, perhaps Snowbird.....

10)Best Leader?

Come on, thats easy..Mac, THE Vindicator....

11)Favorite Writer?

Byrne, Hands down....He loved the characters and it showed

12)Least fav?

Not Byrne.....Scott's cool, and I liked the new version, if they wouldn't pile on the humor so much...a little more seriousness would have helped the book..the characters were pretty good...

13)Fav Artist?

Byrne....

13)Least Fav Artist?

Most of the rest....

14)Undo anything?

How about Mac's death.....OK, OK for real the Walter/Wanda Langkowski thing.....Lets put that away can we?....

Thanks for the poll, it was fun.....

Hiya V-Man, gonna say welcome to the forum here. As for your answer to fave writer, you'll probably find that is the general consensus, but Byrne loving the characters? I sincerely doubt it, he's been slightly scathing about them in interviews. However, he did create them and somhow made a large majority of us fans of AF, so can't fault him on that.
    Del

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Default Welcome, V-Man.

Glad Alpha Flight's legion of fans is growing.
    Once upon a time, they exploded from the pages of The X-Men. For a moment, they were "Canada's answer to The Avengers."

They were ALPHA FLIGHT....

...once upon a time.