Poll: Who would you most like to see in the newest Incarnation of Alpha?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who would you most like to see in the newest Incarnation?

Why is evveryone so excited to see the return of Marrina? I re-read the issues with her in them, and to be honest, she was the most boring of all the original team. Her code-name is unimaginative, and if she DID come back, I wouldn't care about her unless they updated her look (and she looked awful even in the eighties) and changed her codename to something a little better than her first name.

I'm not trying to make anyone mad, but I just wanna be let in on the secret, eh?

[quote="Dani_Moonstar"]Why is evveryone so excited to see the return of Marrina?

I liked her name, maybe unnimaginative, but it looks good. I liked her persona. Different than the usual Cable/wolverine wanna be. It's good to see good people in comics sometimes, you know. Feels good for the heart

I voted for aurora. I like everone else where they are. welll at least people on their I know.

Well Dani, the reason I like her is as follows.

Marrina was the sweetest, kindest hero I had come across when I was a young tott reading comics. But under that she had a very interesting and origonal background. That background also made her a very strong character. By nature, she was a killer, it was what her species did. However she was fortunate enough to have a human spirit. Her shape, could be due to her "mother's" genetic imprint, but her heroic spirit, and strenght to figh against her nature, was all her.

As for her look, you can't say it's not origonal! Sure, maybe the hiar need s some updating, but the human/plodex look is a really cool effect in my mind.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Dani_Moonstar
    Why is evveryone so excited to see the return of Marrina? I re-read the issues with her in them, and to be honest, she was the most boring of all the original team. Her code-name is unimaginative, and if she DID come back, I wouldn't care about her unless they updated her look (and she looked awful even in the eighties) and changed her codename to something a little better than her first name.

I'm not trying to make anyone mad, but I just wanna be let in on the secret, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by DelBubs
    Aurora is away with the fairies and could you imagine what Lobdell would do with her multiple personalities
    To his credit, Lobdell did write the best line about the multiple personalities:
    Heather & Diamond Lil waiting for Aurora to arrive. Car pulls up. Lil asks who's driving. Heather says she can't tell from the window.

Quote Originally Posted by nightcrawler
    i had to vote for aurora...it's the whole french canadian bombshell thing...lol
    Objection!!!! (.mumblemumble......stereotype...mumblemumble....)

Sylvie
    french canadian, but not a bombshell

I went for Marrina too... now about 100 panels into 'Alpha Flight Redux' #2, I kinda grew a new affinity for her, even tho I still wouldn't call her my 'favourite' character
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCanuck
    I went for Marrina too... now about 100 panels into 'Alpha Flight Redux' #2, I kinda grew a new affinity for her, even tho I still wouldn't call her my 'favourite' character
    Heh heh, now weren't you saying to me not too long ago that you douldn't understand why everyone liked her so much?

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Ben
    Heh heh, now weren't you saying to me not too long ago that you douldn't understand why everyone liked her so much?
    yes I was, and I am still with that, considering, including the first Master arc, she hasn't had a whole lot of screen time, and what time she had 99% of it dealt more with Marrina-the-Plodex or Marrina-lover-of-Namor, not Marrina-the-character... I still have no idea how Namor became attached hand and fin to her. Aside from the first two iss's of vol.1 we never see her as just Marrina
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCanuck
    yes I was, and I am still with that, considering, including the first Master arc, she hasn't had a whole lot of screen time, and what time she had 99% of it dealt more with Marrina-the-Plodex or Marrina-lover-of-Namor, not Marrina-the-character... I still have no idea how Namor became attached hand and fin to her. Aside from the first two iss's of vol.1 we never see her as just Marrina
    Strange how you never saw Marrina properly characterised in the pages of AF. Yet in ROM and Power Pack she was portrayed very well and came across as a good workable character. I sometimes wonder if Byrne only introduced her as a convoluted way of giving AF 'The Master' as the teams arch nemesis?
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

About time. That Avengers Issue (47 I believe) was such a tease then dropped.
    Busiek is pretty good about not wasting characters. I'm sure he had her put in just as reminder that she is NOT definitively dead.

I'm very confused over Marrina. I seem to remember that when the Master came back to the series he said something about actually HAVING Marrina hidden away somewhere or something and that's why he was doing those genetic experiments on Puck when he was rescued by the Flight to try and create a new mate for her... but then she was never mentioned again!!!

Am I getting very confused?

No confusion. The Master seeks power, and retains much through the use of ancient and alien technologies. My expectation is that he routinely scans for Plodex life, and thus would have found Marinna in her false ddeath under the sea.
    Realistically, a new mate would take time, and is not something the Master solely dedicates his time to, as seen by his reaction to Kang in the Avengers arc.
    As for Namor's attraction to Marinna, Namor is one of the few Marvel characters who has a type--specific characteristsics he likes in a mate. Marinna, Dorma and Sue Storm (and Sandy from the latest Namor series) are all confident, capable women who do not let their strength of character diminish being feminine and ladylike. All can defer to their man without losing their independence or sublimating their personality into his. Judging from his mother's ventures to the surface world that led to his birth, the sexual interests he's had all remind him of his mother. And as a royal personage, it makes sense that Namor would pursue women who can act ladylike and appropriate yet be strong enough to make decisions in his absence.
    Any return of Marinna should deal havily with Namor, and I hope Lobdell or any future writer remembers that most of Alpha Flight might agree to keep Marinna's return a secret from Namor, as a multiple-time widow, Heather would REFUSE to keep such a secret.

I'd vote for Marrina. But I wouldn't mind seeing Ghost Girl back as well.
    Richard Vasseur