Poll: Who's your Favorite Alphan From Series 3?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who's your Favorite Alphan From Series 3?

For sure I'm in the minority. Most people here like the new book.

I don't really care for it though I'm still buying it out of a sense of loyalty

I do like the art though, I'll give it that.

You know, I'm gonna have to go with Yukon Jack here, with the new Major Mapleleaf coming in a very close second. I love the idea of another immortal or god on a team. Sure, we have Snowbird, Hercules and Thor, but this guy seems to have a twist on him. Plus, the fact that he came from a village full of immortals, a village that most of Canada doesn't even know exists is intriguing in the best way. Lobdell is showing some of what he could have shown had he stayed on 'Fantastic Four' longer by introducing another aspect of the Marvel Universe like this.

But, of course, as a true Flight Fanatic, I love all the new characters! This is clearly going to be a character-driven series, which is intriguing but at the same time worrisome. Problems arise with such an approach to a comic: what happens when the mysteries of all the Alphans are revealed? Will it revert to X-style angst? Does this leave any room for the original Alphans? Hey, I suppose I should just hang on for the ride, but in Marvel's current throat cutting climate, you can't blame me for being so worried.

Yukon Jack and the Major are the most tollerable to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir John A.
    For sure I'm in the minority. Most people here like the new book.

I don't really care for it though I'm still buying it out of a sense of loyalty

I do like the art though, I'll give it that.
    I agree with you, John.
    I'm glad to see Nemesis getting some development, I like Mapleleaf and Centennial is enderaing himself to me.
    I don't care for Yukon or hte new Puck at all.

I've been buying the book out of loyalty to the title that has been my all time favorite because if the series continues, there's more chance I will see the other characters that have my true loyalty.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

I have to agree... Yukon Jack and Puck also disinterest me. YJ is thus far a rather one-dimensional, dispossessed Namor-type, and the new Puck just seems completely irrelevant to me. I don't understand her motivations, her hopes, her fears, nothing. Why does she do what she does? Because she lost the bet? Not good enough, at least not thus far. And the Puck-is-her-real-father plotline doesn't do much for me, either, because neither she nor Puck seem to be aware of it. But I could be wrong about that, because Walter knows, and Puck knows he has a daughter. I just want a little more advancement of this plotline before I start rooting for the girl.

Yukon Jack totally disinterests me at present and seems to be the total epitomy of a two dimensional comics character. Centenial and MML have had the deepest characterisation so far, Nemesis already has history and Sas is Sas. I'm waiting to see if Scott will be delving deeper into Pucks and YJ's characters over the coming issues. There is a lot of scope for Pucks developement due to the connection to Judd, but YJ doesn't seem to have a lot going for him.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Actually, between the two, I think I'm more likely to end up rooting for Yukon Jack over Puck. I just don't care much for characters that, because of who they're related to, all of a sudden are in the spotlight. There are billions of people in the world... must EVERY super-powered being be related to another?

It would be interesting to see if Puck 2 actually has any super powers per se, or whether she is like her father was before he became enhanced. Basically a brawler with superior gymnastic and fighting skills. Yukon Jack at present is just to comedic and to much of a cartoon caricature to pique my interest. This may changed in future issues.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

It still amazes me somewhat that people seem to favor Nemesis the most out of the "new" bunch, because her character development has hardly been deep. All the casual reader knows thus far is that she's an "anarchist," as she's so fond of reminding everyone, and that she seems to want to kill everyone. I have to agree with Kozzi... she seems to me to be more of a nihilist, as was stated in the first issie IIRC. I like her well enough, but I just don't see the long-term appeal of her if things remain as they are. Her gimmick will get old real fast.

I think the problem any writer has when depicting an established character alongside new ones is how much time to devote on their developement over the newbies. Sasquatch has not really been highlighted a great deal and Nemesis is such an enigma wrapped in a riddle that lot's of panel time would have to be devoted to her. This would lessen the time spent giving the newbies the depth they need.

IMHO anyways
    Del

By contrast, while I'd like to know more about certain characters, I also find that if I learn just enough about them to pique my interest, I'll stick around for the long haul to find out the whole story about them. How many Rogue fans are out there right now itching to read the whole new series to learn of her nebulous origins, I wonder?

I find it hilarious that only after six issues Yukon Jack is being cornholed as a two-dimensional character. LOL It's only been six issues since he's been introduced!

And if you spent your whole life away from modern society and culture, how would you act around these people?

Sheesh, I can understand how Yukon Jack and Puck could be seen as the least interesting so far, but don't just throw them out of your heads as uninteresting. There's only been six issues.

LOL It's only been six issues since he's been introduced!
    "Only six issues"?

Check out Watchmen to see what can be accomplished in 6 issues.

Or the first 6 issues of Ultimate Spider-Man for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Mapleleaf Jr
    How many Rogue fans are out there right now itching to read the whole new series to learn of her nebulous origins, I wonder?
    Not me, that's for sure.
    I've gotta say that Rogue has never worked for me since the X-Men accepted her.
    She was a much better un-easy villain/un-trusted ally.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir John A.
    Check out Watchmen to see what can be accomplished in 6 issues.
    Why does everyone try and compare every comic since to Watchmen?
    ANADAF is a HUMOUR title. It's never set out to be Watchmen.

Why does everyone try and compare every comic since to Watchmen?
    In this case I used it because it is a good example of a character driven story with very little "action"; like ALADAF.. In fact, the only "fight scene" happens in the very last issue.

FYI: I included Ultimate Spider-Man as well for a reason.