Poll: Who's your Favorite Alphan From Series 3?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Who's your Favorite Alphan From Series 3?

Yukon Jack to me is boredom wrapped in a cliche and tied with a stereotype. He's from a lost society in Canada, and wears only a loincloth. Isn't it kind of cold for that? (I am well aware that most of Canada is well outside the arctic circle, so please don't blast me for a "stereotype" of Canadian weather. For the society to have remained hidden it has to be a bit further North from the border with the US, and it might have been better to just have had him from another dimension. His mannerisms and especially his speech really turn me off. I don't think he hasn't had much characterization, but what has been shown hasn't grabbed me.

Puck2 also doesn't interest me. MMJr was right in a lack of motivation for her, although the bet gets her involved in the first arc and a possible attraction to Walt can theoretically keep her around. She's interesting to me only in the sense of how her presence can impact the real Puck (who is much like corn flakes in the sense of "original and best." With Puck gone now, his daughter can't bring that impact. This formula is just like TV soaps, where the newer characters need to prove themselves with impact the existing cast before people can attach to them. I also HATE her costume. Yes, very hip and fasionable and sexually alluring, but who would wear loose pants into combat, ESPECIALLY ESPECIALLY ESPECIALLY if she is an acrobat who needs a full range of movement?

Sir John's argument of solid characterization in 6 issues could have easily used AFv1 as an excellent example, and for that matter, v2. Radius and Flex and the other Hull kids weren't among my favorites (maybe also because they were displacing known and loved characters in an "AF" title) but by the end of the 6th issue, there was a good feel for who they were, why they were, what they could do.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

Radius and Flex kinda grew on me thought the antogonism between the two wasn't really believable.

Ya, Yukon Jack is kinda cliche (a bit of Tarzan, Ka-Zar, even Wonder Woman) but I still kinda like him. Mostly I just think he's cool looking. I could see him beome a Namor-like character (or Northstar for that matter).

I agree I don't really see the point of Puck2. except to insert some "gyrll-power" into the team. I think visually she may be inspired by the wrestler Lyta.

Centennial kinda gets on my nerves. He's part of that "old but still cool" vein of comedy like "Golden Girls" or those skittles commercials. I'm expecting him to start rapping and skateboarding in future issues.

Major Mapleleaf has potential though I think the flying horse is kinda dumb. They should make him more realistic though. Give him some pepper-spray to use on student protestors or have him threaten to drop villians off in a field in Saskatchewan during the middle of winter if they don't behave.

I like Sasq in a leadership role though I wish they would play up his intellect more.

I've never really liked Nemesis so I'll leave it at that.

Crozac, whether six issues or not, the title of the thread is "Who is your favourite character from Vol 3". People have elborated on the fact that YJ does nothing for them so far. Opinions do not a fact make, people shouldn't be denergrated for having an opinion. A lot of the reasons given are pretty valid to some and not to others. YJ still doesn't have the character developement of the others and does to my mind come acros as two dimensional, maybe that will change. It probably will do when Scott delvs deeper into what makes him tick.

Regarding Watchmen, IMO that cannot be compared to any other comic book. Watchmen is a true original, but for all that, it shouldn't be held up as an example of how characterisation should be acomplished. It was written with a beginning and end in mind, therefore characterisation was an integral part of the whole planning process. AF being open ended can take it's time developing YJ. Not liking YJ should not be percieved as a criticism, but more a fact that at present other characters have appealed more.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

You want to know why Yukon Jack has been corn-holed as a two-dimensional character? Because, thus far, that's what he is. If, from what I've gathered about his personality and how he sees himself and the rest of the world is true, then why the hell is he even WITH Alpha Flight? So Walter drugged and kidnapped him... so what? He's awake NOW. Why doesn't he leave? I honestly don't see why he's sticking around. He doesn't want to be there... or maybe he does, but Scott needs to show WHY he does. As it stands, I don't see why he hasn't taken off yet.

O think the coming 2-parter in 7 & 8 will establish reasons for the characters staying with the team. The originals are gone, wax figures become a problem for Canada, "we work so great together"
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

While I agree with you that that's probably going to be the direction taken, I still don't particularly care for it. Yukon Jack and Nemesis really don't have reasons to stick around. Ditto for Puck Part Deux. Scott's really going to have to work on their motivations to make this team stick around for the long haul.

I would have to say I like Sasquatch best or Major Maple Leaf since they are both there because they want to be there.
    Richard Vasseur

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You want to know why Yukon Jack has been corn-holed as a two-dimensional character
    Mayhaps thou doth believeth it has to do with his hokey speach and the fact that the character's very name is a joke.
    www.kozzi.us

Major Maple Leaf his name may be a bit of a joke but he is not. You read about his awful upbringing. So maybe his way of acting now and his name are his way of trying to lighten the mood not for others but for himself. I think his happy mood and the way he acts as if others should be in a good mood to is because he is hurting inside and he also doesn't want any one else to suffer as he did as a child. So he puts on a happy face on the outside hoping that the outside will come inside.
    Richard Vasseur

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Default Zuzha Yu/"Zusha Yi" - I started with # 4

I'm voting for Zuzha Yu because she has nerve and an interesting back-story (Judd's daughter). One day Nemesis will be handled well and then she might get my vote, but volume 3 didn't do the trick.
    Once upon a time, they exploded from the pages of The X-Men. For a moment, they were "Canada's answer to The Avengers."

They were ALPHA FLIGHT....

...once upon a time.

Zuzha Yu wins out for me, beating out Nemesis (mainly because she's not truly new) and Lou Sadler. Zuzha is my favorite from this series but I still like Nemesis overall, cool costume!
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Well I guess I was one of the only Centennial votes. All the characters were pretty cool (cept Yukon Jack, really not a fan of him), but Centennial stood out for me.

I always liked Nemesis, I'm glad Scott Lobdell did something with her!

MM

Nemesis all the way. No one else even comes close.

That was a tough one Puck ,Yukon Jack & Sasquatch . But in the end I picked Yukon Jack