Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Official "Your Favorite Book" Thread

Default The Official "Your Favorite Book" Thread

Okay everyone, I'm sure you've all answered this before, but I'm new here, so you can chalk this up to my being naive.

*smiles*

What's you favorite book? Why? I HAVE to know!

Mine? It has to be Ms. Frisby and the Rats of N.I.M.H. Inspiration for the movie The Secret of NIMH, this book was a mind-blowing as a child, and to this day still remains my stalwart favorite. If I had to pick a more contemporary or ADULT novel, I would have to go with American Gods by Neil Gaiman. If you are at all interested in the States' landmarks and attractions, as well as ancient and modern mythology, you will surely find something of value in this great book.
    "When you most feel like a sap, that's the time to make syrup."

-Major Mapleleaf (Alpha Flight, 3rd Series, Issue 1)

OI! I have so many. Lord Of The Rings trillogy of course, it was one of the first "adult books" I read as a kid, and return to it every few years and read it over. I love the Piers Anthony Xanth series, very clever punny stuff. I also really eanjoyed the David Eddings Belgariad series.

I think that one of the best books I've read (and keep re-reading) is Desperation by Stephen King. It's just one of the best novels that he has put out. Hands down.

MHO,
    -Mystic

I have lots of favourites, but if I had to pick specifically, then it would have to be 'Trinity' by Leon Uris. It gave me a better understanding of Ireland.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

To echo everyone else: it is so hard to think of ONE book which is my favourite as there are so many (also sometimes it can depend on what kind of mood I'm in at the time as to what my favourite book will be that day).

Saying that however here are a few of my favourites:

His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman
    The Passion for New Eve by Angela Carter
    Like People in History by Felice Picano

(Of course, I know there are so many more that I want to put but can't think of them right now so will probably be kicking myself tomorrow when I re-read this!)

Replay of Ken Grimwood. The only book I read many times even with the bad translation

I Like The Harry Potter Series, I'm sure some of you have read it, whatd'ya think?
    I Also like "Tales Of The Dark Forest" by Steve Skidmore(I could come up with a hundred things to tease him about j/k) It's a kid's novel but i still enjoy It.

BTW Mystic, I Read Desperation(My Mother has a huge collection of Stephen King books) I like it

My Favorite book is probably "1984" by George Orwell. I also like the Harry Potter series and i'm working my way though the lord of the rings series.

hmmm.... so far I'd say the Harry Potter series (addictive little buggers), and Laurell K. Hamilton's 'Anita Blake' Series... just waiting for book 12 to be released (*groan*) next fall...
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

just one? that is just mean. :>
    but it would have to be fahrenheit 451 (ray bradbury) or paul celan's collected poems or adventures in the skin trade (dylan thomas)
    i am going to marry my novels and have little short stories for children.
    -jack kerouac

The Lord of the Rings triliogy and "The Hobbit".

Best book I've read lately..."The Lioness".

My favorite book? Laurell K. Hamilton's "Obsidian Butterfly", which got me completely hooked on the Anita Blake series. And I got Laurell to sign it and everything! She lives here in St. Louis... that's so awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Dani_Moonstar
    My favorite book? Laurell K. Hamilton's "Obsidian Butterfly", which got me completely hooked on the Anita Blake series. And I got Laurell to sign it and everything! She lives here in St. Louis... that's so awesome.
    You are now my least favourite person

how on earth did you get a signed copy!!!

Now I'm gonna sit over here and pout...

Don't hate me! Me no like having enemies...

At any rate, I talked to her at one of the sci-fi conventions that happen in our area. She's very nice, and very easy to talk to. I told her that I loved her portrayal of Anita in Obsidian Butterfly, and she said she'd sign a book for me. But I had to run back upstairs to my hotel room and get it, LOL.

But yes, I love Anita Blake. She's probably the most realistically-portrayed woman in fiction.

[color=red]Don't hate me! Me no like having enemies...
    well, we'll see... <gives suspicious glare>

At any rate, I talked to her at one of the sci-fi conventions that happen in our area....
    .... not helping ....

She's very nice, and very easy to talk to. I told her that I loved her portrayal of Anita in Obsidian Butterfly, and she said she'd sign a book for me. But I had to run back upstairs to my hotel room and get it, LOL.
    Oh i know... i left a message on her message board and she responded pretty promptly (which kinda ticked me off, considering if she's emailing me, she's not finishing off 'Incubus Dreams'!!) I love how she makes the most absurd idea realistic.... like in... crap the one where Richard goes to Tennesee to study trolls, she says 'hey look a greater foothill troll', like most ppl say 'hey look, a dog'. I love how he humanises the monsters. Been inlove with the series since I first picked up 'Guilty Pleasures' (wasn't too fond of 'Laughing Corpse', but that's because I got a graphic imagination and I read it in the middle of the night). Need to get 'Guilty' through to 'Obsidian'... i don't think my copies of 'Narcissus in Chains' and 'Cerulean Sins' will last too much longer at this rate (I've read each of them about... oh, 15 times each or more!

But yes, I love Anita Blake. She's probably the most realistically-portrayed woman in fiction.
    Oh I know. Even with her currently sordid lovelife with, what, 3 lovers, Richard, Nathaniel and Jason? and the fact that she doesn't wanna be '**** girl'... lol, top that off with her numerous jobs (LOVE the execution at the end of Cerulean, very Blake-y)... she's just the most human of the monsters and humans alike!! now I gotta wait (*groan!*) till fall before the next book *sob!*...

... ah... *ahem*.... I'm okay now ... well as good as I get...

bonus thing tho... i got my father hooked on the series, and he HATES those kinds of books (dealing with vampires, etc)!! He almost cried when I told him he'd have to wait almost a year!