Thread: Best Issue Ever?

Default Best Issue Ever?

What's the best single issue of a comic you've ever read? What did it for you? Just curious.

Me? It would have to be the first issue of Warren Ellis' Planetary. I had been out of comics for a bit, and picked this up on a whim when I was going through a real rough way. It had it all, dark humor, a great hook, and John Cassaday's artwork? My God, what more could you ask for?

This book single-handedly brought me back into comics, and for that, it will always be number one in my book.
    "When you most feel like a sap, that's the time to make syrup."

-Major Mapleleaf (Alpha Flight, 3rd Series, Issue 1)

Wolverine #90

For me, the definitive Wolverine/Sabretooth fight, some superb writing from Larry Hama, and some amzing art from Adam Kubert.

X-Men 121. The first time seeing Alpha Flight as a full team, not just shadows, or just Mac. I was knee high to a grasshopper, and my Uncle and cousing were big Byrne fans, and they bought any books by him. I read that comic book when I was visiting them one day when I was a little kid. I was hooked from there. Alpha Flight was already in print then, probably somewhere around issue 7 or 8, but it was X-Men 121 that hooked me on them.

It's really hard to say what the best issue I have read. I can say that I really enjoyed New X-Men #150. The events that transpired was awesome. Although I think that Grant Morrisson's run on the series has been pretty spectacular. Other than that, I feel that one of the more recent Elektra's was really well done. I can't really remember what issue number it was right off hand, but the story was titled 'The Mark' and told the story from the victim's perspective. Great storytelling right there.

MHO,
    -Mystic

It's so hard to pick one particular issue of anything and say that that is my all time favourite issue... however, saying that, I would have to say that Alpha Flight #3 is pretty special to me and holds a special place in my heart, not because it is a particular spectacular issue or anything like that but because it was the first American comic book that I ever bought and read. I had no idea who everyone was or what was happening but I thought the cover was very cool (Aurora in stark black and white trapped on the Master of the World's base/ship) and I was hooked from then on in. I suppose that's why Alpha Flight has always been a favourite book of mine because it was the one that got me started.

The best comic out now, IMO, New mutants is probably the best I've read but the best issue so far is probably 5,6, or 7.

There are so many comics I could have picked, but I've settled for V for Vendetta #10. The final issue, all V's plans come to fruition, plus the fact that it dawned on me that V was not a person, but a concept/idea. Alan Moore at his best.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

There are sooo many comics I love. If i'd have to pick just one, it have to be PAD 's X-Factor #87. After the whole X_Tinction Agenda faisco, PAD gave us the therapy issue. Never have those characters been so real to us, or been as real since.

My favorite? I think I'd have to say New Mutants #45. It was easily the best comic I've ever read with a message about tolerance for others. I highly, highly recommend it... it was really moving, and very powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by Dani_Moonstar
    My favorite? I think I'd have to say New Mutants #45. It was easily the best comic I've ever read with a message about tolerance for others. I highly, highly recommend it... it was really moving, and very powerful.
    TOTALLY agree. Yes, that particular issue is extremely moving, and Kitty Pryde's speech at the end never fails to touch me - the message it's trying to get across is as relevent now as it was then. I know that the whole mutant analogy seems very over played now but when it's done well it can still work, the fact that that story has stood the test of time proves that.

I gotta say Watchmen XI, never has a comic book ever made my skin crawl, make my feal uncomfortable in my own skin, and yet enthrall me at the same time. A true masterpiece.

For those wondering, it's the Rorshach psycho-therepy issue.

Although X-Factor 87 is also an amazing issue.

Grant Morrison's final issue of Doom Patrol is up there with the greats in my opinion - it's the issue where we see what's become of Crazy Jane and at the end she's reunited with Cliff (aka Robotman) who takes her back to Danny The World and they live happily ever after... well, until the next issue when Rachel Pollack takes over and puts her spin on things (I LOVED Pollack's issues too though, even if she had to get rid of Crazy Jane - the character was owned by Morrison or something).

I was reading threw some of my Spider-Girl back issues and I remember # 51 and the whole season of the serpent arc were great!
    "Me so happy, Me want to cry!" -Kevin (Bizzaro Jerry)

This is easy...

What If... The Marvel Superheroes had lost Atlantis Attacks.

simply awesome and a must read.

Heres a synopsis:
    What If... #25
    (May, 1991)
    "What if the Marvel superheroes had lost Atlantis Attacks?" That's the question posed to us by the Watcher, who sees many realities beyond our own. In this story, the heroes fail, and Set succeeds in turning everyone on Earth into his mindless serpent slaves. Everyone, that is, except a small band of heroes who have their own powers to thank for their freedom. And they're all that stands between Set and total domination. It's a fun look at events that could never happen. Or could they...?