Thread: Just Picked Up !!

Default Just Picked Up !!

Just returned from the comic store, not read too much, but did pick up the following.

Hellblazer 191 (How do you achieve the hash sign, my keyboard is set to English US and I cannot change it ). Anyways, Hellblazer is getting better and better imho, Mike Carey really seems to have a handle on Constantine, just wondering how much longer we have to wait for the movie.

C.S.I Bad Rap (5 of 5) In my eyes IDW can do no wrong, their C.S.I stories are well researched and well paced.

C.S.I One Shot Written by Jeff Mariotte and painted painted panels scattered throughout the book by Ashley Wood. See above re pacing and story.

Weapon X - 11 and 16 Missed No 11 when it came out and was a day to early for No 17. Only picking it up for my AF fix until the real deal appears.

Authority No9 I don't honestly think that Morrison has reached the hieghts of the first series, but he is improving with each issue, plus Brubacker will take over @ No 13 so I'm gonna stick with it. Just as long as they don't subject us to anymore Authority vs Lobo type of ****.

UXM 437 Definately my last one. thats all he wrote

Supreme Power No 6 Rising Stars for Marvel JMS does know how to write a story and Gary Frank should be drawing AF. This is moving along nicely and it's good to see that you don't need drawn out fights to fill a book. Hyperions speech to Nighthawk makes the book worth the money, everything else was a bonus.

Queen & Country No22 Tara Chase (Callan in a skirt :P ) No super heroes, just normal people doing a very dirty job, if you've read Whiteout and Whiteout Melt, you will probably like this book.

Thats about it.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Answering my own post, that's always a sign Anyways, picked up today :

Avengers #319
    Never actually read this before, it's part one of the 'Crossing Line' arc and even though Alpha don't appear in the first part, thought I'd actually find out what started it all.

The Shield #3
    I'm a sucker for the TV series, more so series 1. IDW have a knack of transforming live action into comics format with no hint of a join.

Silent Hill #2
    They can do it with games as well. Templesmiths art works perfect with the mood of Silent Hill.

C.S.I Demon House #1
    See The Shield #3 ... Five part stories, well written, two artists, Rodreiguez (sp) who draws the normal sequential pages and painted work by Ashley Wood for the more graphic detail.

Stormwatch Team Achilles #20
    I'm kinda getting to that 'yeah, so what' stage with tis, not sure whats going on, not sure if I care.

Coup D'etat 'Afterword'
    So I'm a completist in certain things, sue me

The Authority vol 2 #11
    Use to be a time during the great Alpha drought, that The Authority was the one comic I would look forward too each month. Ellis's run on Stormwatch was pure class, his continuation into vol 2 and then the first twelve issues of Authority vol 1 surpassed that. Mark Millar likes to push the boundries, Authority gave him the perfect conduit to do that. His first arc had Nurses raped and killed, a maternity ward full of babies blasted through a wall, Apollo raped and parodies of every major Marvel super team except Alpha. His second arc was weaker, he kinda surpased himself with the first, if you think about it After that IM... the Authority struggled and maybe it should have been left dead at the end of vol 1.

Uncanny X-Thingies #442
    I phoned my boy at one point, while wandering around the comic store, to check whether I already had this issue, then I thought, 'Do I really care', no was the answer, so I told him to forget it.

Wanted #3
    They really shouldn't indulge Millar, they're are creating a monster who will offend some moral majority group one day (It is good though)

Supreme Power #9
    JMS wrote Babylon 5 too, it's gotta be good.

Weapon X 19-20
    I actually like this a lot, but will decide on what's whats after Reload.

Hellblazer #194
    Uhmm, not sure, use to be good, but uhmmm
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

I like Hellblazer 194, although I'd never read an issue before it. I just kinda assumed I'm not supposed to know what's going on with the black guy and the little girl. I like a good occult mystery.

Plus, yah gotta love the subtle reference to Sting. (Visually, Constantine is based on Sting.)

This is what I've picked up:

Alpha Flight #2 "You Gotta Be Kiddin' Me, pt.2" Not really as bad as the first issue. Shows some definite promise.

Elektra #34 "Fever, pt.3" I can't really say that I've been to keen on this story. I'm hoping that things will pick up next issue.

Emma Frost #9 "Mind Games, pt.3" I really loved when this series came out, as it highlights one of my most favorite characters. I'm just hoping that they get away from the angst soon, and start delving into the path that made her the b!+ch that she is today.

Exiles #45 "A Blink In Time, pt.3" I really liked this story, as it wraps things up with the Weapon X team. I'm looking forward to seeing who the new member will be. This is one of the best Marvel titles right now.

Fallen Angel #9 A dark and mysterious character who is a little bit of a loose cannon. Gotta love her and the city she works out of. Peter David writes this series beautifully.

Avengers / JLA #4 This has been a pretty interesting crossover. The final issue doesn't seem to disappoint.

New Mutants #10 I like this series, I really do. It has some interesting characters. I'm not entirely sure I like what they've done to Wolfsbane.

Runaways #13 A really interesting series. I like the twists and turns that it has taken. A far departure from the whole theory it was going to be (yet another) X-Title. It'll be a shame if Marvel cancels this series, as it is high up there on my list of titles right now. I'm still looking forward to how they deal with the Pride.

Stormwatch #20 I LOVE this title. I can't wait to see what happens after Coup D'etat. Interesting concepts and an 'in-your-face' attitude makes this series a must.

Weapon X #'s 19 & 20 Another good series that spotlight's not-so-popular characters. I'll be interested to see what happens to all of them, and whether or not a new team (or the original group) will come back together.

New X-Men #'s 154 & 155 Morrison's run on this title has been fantastic. And what a way to end his tenure with the book. With two of Austen's issues as an ender, I can say that I will not be getting any more of this title (Mainly because I don't like Austen).

Uncanny X-Men To say that I haven't liked Austen's run on UXM would be an understatement. The main reason I got this book was because of Northstar's appearances, and overall, I got more in New Mutants. I'll be getting the Clairemont (SP??) run, just because I like his style.

Cheers,
    Mystic

Austen isn't doing it for me in Uncanny either, but I'm hanging on until after Reload, to find out if the book will improve. Anuone ever known an active member of the team get as little air time as NS

Just read that Stormwatch TA is getting canned as of #24, same as Wildcats 3.0.

Regarding Hellblazer, Carey is doing an all right job, but Hellblazers blown hot and cold for quite a while now. I do know there's a movie in the offing, and believe Constantine will be played by Keanu ?
    Del

I can't believe that they're cancelling Stormwatch. Just goes to show that Comic Book companies will always cancel the good to keep the crap flowing.

Oh well, with summer coming, money is going to get tight. Maybe it's better that I will finally be able to cut back on some books.

-Mystic

Actually read a few of those I picked up, The IDW stuff (Shield, C.S.I and Silent Hill) was it's usual high quality, and very much enjoyed UXM (strange that ) Stormwatch TA was real good, probably the best issue so far and it's getting canned in 4 , like the storyline, Knights Templars, Knights of Malta and the whole Sangraal connections).

Hellblazer was good, wasn't it, wonder what Constantine is playing at, but he's in the **** again. Mike Carey has promised somthing very big for the 200th issue and his story telling with JC seems to be picking up speed.
    Del

Went out gallavanting again today, picked up a few books, but haven't had the time to read them all.

Weapon X #21 : So Bolt is dead, the lad who done his tenure in X-Men Unlimited, Uncanny, Maverick, New Warriors vol 2 and of course Weapon X died never realising that Agent Zero was Mav all along. There where plenty of nay sayers who dissed Tieri's work, but IMO Weapon X is right up there with Alpha and Supreme Power as the best books Marvel are turning out.

Uncanny #433 : Shoot me, I actually enjoyed this, the confrontation between Polaris and Prof X was actually written well, very reminiscent of the confrontation between Cannonball and the Prof in X-Force #19 (?) 'The X-cutioners Song' epilogue. I'm giving this a little longer, see what Claremont and Davies do with it.

Holed Up #1 : Oh this was funny, anyone American who takes offence has got to be out of their tree, some classic visual gags, the sex changed grandma who's first kill when she got her first weapon during WW2 was to kill Hitlers dog. It had me laughing out loud. Gonna re-read all of Rich Johnsons 'Lieing (sp) in the Gutters' to see if he has ever used the word subtle, I kinda doubt it

Stormwatch Team Achilles #21 : Haven't read this fully, but it's a bloody shame it's getting canned just when Micah Wright seems to have really hit the groove.

C.S.I : Demon House #2 : If you like the tv series, I think you'll like the comic, very true to the series, with painted work by Ashley Wood for the flashbacks and more graphic scenes.

30 Days of Night : Return To Barrow #1 : My friend Paul who works in the comic store was checking through my list, we got talking about the 'Silent Hill' series I'm collecting. I was waxing lyrical about Ben Templesmiths art, so he pointed me towards this. On the strength of the cursory glance I gave it, I picked up this, The 'Dark Days' TPB and placed an order for the original series TPB. I'm sure on his day, he could sell fridges to the Inuit
    Del