Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Old What Are You Collecting Thread :)

Default The Old What Are You Collecting Thread :)

Just to get things rolling. At present I'm getting

Marvel
    UXM (Gone after the trial of Juggs, not even Northstar can make me stay, will pick up AF appearences, as long as they are done properly)
    Weapon X (Gone after AF debuts, I need an AF fix in the meantime)
    Supreme Power

And of course Alpha Flight

IDW
    C.S.I
    Silent Hill, The Shield(both due in early 2004)

Wildstorm
    Stormwatch : Team Achilles
    The Authority

Vertigo
    Hellblazer

Oni-Press
    Queen & Country

Thats about it, not a lot out there I really like at present.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

I was collecting some other titles for a while, but none of them have been "doing it for me" so I let them all slide one by one. I've been tempted to collect Uncanny, just to see Northstar, but haven't as of yet. Since I'll be buying AF, I may gur Uncanny, just to see what's going on with ol' JP

I'm going the other way. I started collecting UXM when Northstar joined, have kept going on it cos of the few Af appearences, but not even NS continued prescence can convince me to buy anymore. Chuck Austens writing just ain't for me.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Being the big New Mutants (and Dani Moonstar, obviously) fan that I am, I'm currently hooked on New Mutants v. 2, as well as Runaways. NYX, occasion, though I personally don't see what the hype is all about. New X-Men is also somewhat enjoyable, but Uncanny... Chuck Austen is anathema. Alpha Flight will probably be the third of three series that I'm collecting (the other two being NM and Runaways). Frankly, only these three books interest me.

Someone said that Northstar is gonna be appearing in New Mutants, so I'll pick up the issues with him in and see whats occuring. Not even sure who is a New Mutant at present, but I think three Guthries are Mutants of some kind, so kinda guess they are somewhere on the periphery.
    Del

It's the one that comes out this Weds/Thur.

There's a preview up at http://www.comicscontinuum.com

Quote Originally Posted by Phil
    It's the one that comes out this Weds/Thur.

There's a preview up at http://www.comicscontinuum.com
    I thank you kind sir, is it his first appearence in NM's?
    Del

Well, there was a brief cameo in #2 of him teaching a flight class.

He was also in #7, disciplining one of his students. The writers of NM are very fond of JP.

Also, the cast of NM is as follows:

Dani Moonstar, Karma, Magma (she's gone now to X-Treme X-Men), and soon Wolfsbane - they're serving as teachers.

Sofia Mantega - Venezuelan-American with the mutant ability to manipulate the wind.
    Laurie Collins - Withdrawn, shy blonde with the (currently uncontrollable) ability to emit pheromones that alter other's emotions to mirror her own.
    David Alleyne - Bright Chicago boy with the mutant ability to "know" what other people know, in terms of knowledge and skills, but not powers.
    Kevin Ford - Atlanta "goth" boy with the mutant ability to decay living matter on contact. Currently not at the school.
    Josh Foley - Blonde a**hole and former anti-mutant bigot with the mutant ability to heal others.

Given what Dani... has said plus with what I saw at Continuum, I'll pick up #8 and see what I think.
    Del

I dunno if it's worth picking up just for JP mate, but he's written a lot better than Austen has done, and it's generally really nice stuff.

Here are the titles that I collect:

Marvel Comics

Uncanny X-Men - I think Chuck Austen should be fired from this book, as it seems to be too many members to focus one book on. His new story 'She Lies With Angels' isn't too bad though. But I'll still collect it as long as JP is in it.

New X-Men - I love this book. The stories have been amazing. I'm a little sad to see that Grant Morrisson is leaving the series, and that it'll be written by Chuck Austen

New Mutants - I'm liking this series, but am aware that they're cancelling it to bring in New X-Men: Academy X when they do whatever this reload thing is.

Exiles - A very good comic. I always liked the 'What If...?' series, and this gives you a regular cast of characters too (Especially Blink...who I like)

Weapon X - I'm a fan of evil government agency stuff (which is why I liked vol.2 of AF). Though now it seems a bit too scattered for my tastes. I think they need to reign in the characters and have a team book again. I will also keep collecting this title (through good and bad) because of the AF characters in it.

Elektra - Great series.

Emma Frost - I love the White Queen. Enough said.

I will obviously be collecting AF when it comes out too

Wildstorm / DC

Stormwatch: Team Achilles - What else can I say other than this title rocks! Great writing, great stories, and an in-your-face attitude that is a welcome change from everything else I read.

Fallen Angel - Great title. Written by Peter David, so y'know it's gotta be good.

Default What I Read When I Should Be Working...

Marvel

Alpha Flight (When released)
    She-Hulk (When released)
    Iron Fist (When released)
    Knights 4
    Fantastic Four
    Ultimate Fantastic Four
    Daredevil

DC

Firestorm (When released)
    Richard Dragon (When released)

Jack Staff

As you can see right now, I am doing a lot of patient waiting.
    "When you most feel like a sap, that's the time to make syrup."

-Major Mapleleaf (Alpha Flight, 3rd Series, Issue 1)

I've pared my list down to New Mutants, Runaways, and Alpha Flight (already pre-ordered it). Nothing else holds my interest for toooo long.

I know this has been said time and time again, but aren't there now way too many X titles in the Marvel Universe??? I've now heard that they are bringing back Excalibur (which was a favourite title of mine - being a Brit and a fan of Kitty 'Shadowcat' Pryde and Rachel 'Phoenix' Summers!).

Thing is if you're like me and been away from the comic scene for a number of years you have NO idea where to start with some of these books AND I hear that they are doing a new crossover/relaunch of ALL the X-titles called Reloaded and are changing the name of New Mutants to 'New X-Men: Academy X' (a bit of a mouthful!) - will this make it easier or harder to get into these books or not??? Who knows...

As for titles I'm 'collecting', at the moment I am definitely collecting Alpha Flight, I have the first few issues of New Mutants so intend to give that a go (whatever title it ends up with), I have a few issues of Namor but haven't read them yet (in truth I was more attracted by the covers than anything else!), toying with the idea of Weapon X (although only to see glimpses of my fave Alphans... other than that I intend to start reading DC's Teen Titans and Outsiders as I was a fan of both titles before!

If anyone has any other recommendations let me know.