Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John Byrne at NYCC '17

Default John Byrne at NYCC '17

“I know John [Byrne] forever swore off comic cons, but let’s not remind him of that!” said Ryall, IDW’s Chief Creative Officer and Byrne’s editor for the last twelve years. “Really, though, the chance to publicly talk up the impact Kirby’s work had on his own career was the lure for John, and being able to do so alongside his close friend and fellow legend Walter Simonson only helped seal the deal.”
    The panel will take place on Friday, October 6 from 1:45pm-2:45pm in Room 1A21 and all in attendance will walk away with a Jack Kirby-related giveaway.
    “The Kirby 100 panel that we presented at SDCC this past July was completely standing room only, with many people unable to fit in the room,” said Goldstein. “So I’d recommend getting to this one early to ensure you get a seat.”
    Following the panel, Byrne will make his way to the IDW Booth #1844 for a special two-hour signing, from 3:30pm-5:30pm.
    Byrne’s signing will be a ticketed event. Tickets will be distributed on Friday morning to the first 100 fans to purchase a special con-exclusive version of his long-running series of Star Trek photoplays, Star Trek: New Visions 18: “What a Pain it is to Drown.” This convention-exclusive item will feature a special Byrne-themed photo cover! (And if you aren’t one of the first 100 people, don’t completely fret, because Byrne will accommodate as many standbys as time allows, too.)
    Because Byrne’s signings are a very rare thing now, IDW will make every effort to accommodate as many fans as possible while maintaining an orderly and professional experience. To that end, Byrne will be unable to sketch in anyone’s books. And each attendee of the signing will be limited to a maximum of three items; the first two must be IDW books or comics and the third item can be a non-IDW item.

Anyone gonna go?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jb.jpg 
Views:	440 
Size:	68.8 KB 
ID:	5742  

I'd go both for Byrne and Walter...

If only I could afford it (as in a flight to NYC and a hotel stay).

He appears to be doing Boston Fan Expo and Toronto Fan Expo this year too, with William Shatner:

https://www.facebook.com/fanexpocana...24107577640824

I'm trying to find out if he'll be doing signings other than Trek books.

Well... at Boston he was signing AF!

AND reportedly had peace talks with Marvel...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	591B5B12-7CCB-4106-A94B-E926CACDD16A.jpeg 
Views:	357 
Size:	736.2 KB 
ID:	5888  

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Noice!

Is that your AF he's signing? And Fantastic Four?

~ Le Messor
    "All things good to know are difficult to learn."
    ~ Greek proverb

Unfortunately not. Just sourced from Twitter.
    It’s a good sign though, especially if anyone’s doing Toronto in a few weeks... (KM?)

Images

Well, that twitter twit has good taste!

~ Le Messor
    "Success is more dangerous than failure, the ripples break over a wider coastline."
    ~ Graham Greene

Hmmmm....might do some plan shuffling and go

Apparently the only time he said he would only sign Star Trek stuff was at a Star Trek convention, otherwise if he is at a comic-con he will sign any of his stuff. BTW--- have any of you seen his most recent work:Xmen Elsewhen? If not, it is what got Marvel to talk to him about possibly working on something (I know this isn't Alpha specific but since he created our fav team...).

Images

What is X-Men: Elsewhen? Fan series? Pin-ups of alternate versions?

It's a 20 page "comic" he has posted on his website (can also be found on facebook under Byrne Victims--just follow the link). He has done pencils and dialogue on a story that takes place in the Savage Land (Cyclops,Nightcrawler,Ororo, Colossus,Wolverine,Kitty and Sauron). He said he had "an itch" he wanted to scratch. It is great to see his work in comic form again (he has no intention on publishing it but has reproduced it in blue pencil for anyone who wants to download it and try their hand at inking it (which I may do).

Images

That is so cool!
    I've taken a look at it now, and it's classic Byrne. I can even tell most of what's going on, though I saw the version without dialogue.

Now I'm jealous that Byrne isn't picking up from where he left off with Alpha Flight. I'd love to see a post issue 28 re-imagining!
    "Fools! Fools! Your puny weapons are useless against me!"

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Default AF# 29a

I've been trying to go in that direction (of re-imagining Alpha Flight from AF# 28/Incredible Hulk # 313) for quite some time. I hope that, whatever MARVEL decides to do, it is done well.
    Once upon a time, they exploded from the pages of The X-Men. For a moment, they were "Canada's answer to The Avengers."

They were ALPHA FLIGHT....

...once upon a time.

So I googled it...
    And came to the CBR article. I noticed the Dark Phoenix image on the top and chuckled.
    https://www.newsarama.com/40823-john...ewhen-run.html

Because, they snaked it from MY coloring image I did:
    http://comicreliefpodcast.com/archives/447