Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article: Mighty Captain Marvel #1 Unlettered Preview

Default Article: Mighty Captain Marvel #1 Unlettered Preview

Comicbook.com have an Exclusive Preview: http://comicbook.com/2017/01/12/excl...tain-marvel-1/

It's just Puck and.... Sasquatch...

(I'll create an article as soon as Marvel release watermark-less versions to everyone, as the Edit function is still broken)

Do not like the renditions of Big beard puck and orangutan Sasquatch

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

I hope the writing will be good.

Gotta agree with -K-M- on the modelling decisions, though.

On the plus side, at least it's believable that Puck might grow a beard, and that's far from the worst professional Sasquatch rendition I've seen.

~ Le Messor
    "First impressions are the most lasting."
    ~ Proverb

Yeah, I'm with you on Sas (hence my italics).
    I don't mind Puck's beard though.

Images

I'd wondered about the italics and ellipses.

Images

Hmm... just re-read it in the vague and vain hope that wasn't Sasquatch but one of Red Skull's super-apes. (One of them is an orang-utan, I believe.) Carol straight-up calls him 'Squatch', though.

Looks like Ramon didn't do the research.

I'm thinking of writing a letter...

~ Le Messor
    "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it."
    ~ W.C. Fields

Images

... and then it hit me.
    The artist must've only heard descriptions of the Alpha Flight characters and never looked at them (one look at Sasquatch will tell you that - though I did find a picture on Pintrest of a sasquatch that was an orangutan) - so somebody said 'Puck's a dwarf' and he thought 'oh, like Tolkien'. Hence the beard.

I face-palmed out loud in a supermarket when I figured that out.

Images

I've just sent this to Marvel:

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    Dear Captain Marvel creative team,

I saw a preview of some of the art from The Mighty Captain Marvel #1 on Saturday, and have a compulsion to discuss it.

What I want to think when I look at it is how skillful it is. I want to think about how Rosanas (I've just researched the artist's name) is very good at filling in backgrounds. I want to think about how good the detail is, about subtleties of expression that I can see in the artwork, about how clear everything looks. All of which is valid.

Instead, all I can think is, 'You never studied; you've got yourself a professional gig regularly drawing characters you weren't familiar with, and instead of doing due diligence (ie: spending five minutes on the internet), you just phoned somebody up and got a vague description.

You see, years ago, John Byrne created Alpha Flight as a team to go toe-to-toe with the X-Men. In doing so, he made Sasquatch this unique, distinctive, even iconic design; something that's instantly recognisable. What Rosanas has drawn is not Walter Langkowski's alternate form but an orangutan, a species of great ape from Borneo or Sumatra. While it might be Peotr, of Red Ghost's Super-Apes, it is not Sasquatch.

After that, I was thinking about why Puck (who was designed much later, for Alpha Flight #1, but that's not important right now) suddenly has a beard - a design decision I don't like, but I don't object to. (Meaning: it's not to my personal tastes, but it's perfectly believable that the character would grow a beard.) A couple of hours after seeing it, walking through a supermarket, it hit me: Rosanas heard 'he's a bald dwarf' and thought they meant Tolkien's dwarves, and that's what he drew. I face-palmed out loud in public when I figured that out.

So instead of thinking about how nice his artwork is (and it is!), all I can think is 'he's too lazy to do research - and the editor isn't bothering either'. At least, that's the impression that the artwork gives me.

I'm sorry that that's all I can come away with. :/

~ Mik Bennett,
    Canberra, Australia

OKAY TO PRINT
    That was the diplomatic version.

~ Le Messor
    "The only mission statement a company needs: You shall know them by their deeds."
    ~ P.K. Shaw

haha oh my. Didn't hold anything back

The reason I was asking -
    Legends Comics/Brain Trust Comics have two exclusive variants to #1:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mcmlcv1.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	144.1 KB 
ID:	5591   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mcmlcv2.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	131.5 KB 
ID:	5592  

Images

Thought it might be something like that.

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

Puck's beard looks better later on, so not sure if it's just the angle of that panel.
    He gets a few more panels, and I'm quite interested in the Puck/Brand chemistry personally.
    Still hating the use of "Squatch" as even Puck is using it now...