Thread: Invaders Canadian Retcon

The Erie Canal Warrior Alpha Flight

Default Invaders Canadian Retcon

recently, I've gotten hooked on back issue sof the old 1970s WWII Invaders stories (I just bought an absolute gorgeous Alex Ross invaders posters yesterday,) and the one downside the stories have is their is no Canadian members. The most famous lineup has three Americans (Cap,mBucky, and Toro), two Brits (Union Jack and Spitfire) an Android (human Torch,) an Atlantean (Namor) and an alien i think (Vision, compeltely different from the avengers android Vision.) i know they retconned in AF 106 with Major MapleLeaf as an "unoffical member (p.s I want that opening page of maple leaf cap and a couple invaders charging over a map of nazi occupied Europe as a poster so bad,) but we never got to see any of his past exploits( rightfully so as it was not relevant to the major issue in the comic, homosexuality and AIDS.) my question is would anyone like to see Maybe like a MM invaders limited series, or maybe a miniseries about a Canadian WWII hero not yet created, and if so what would that hero or heroines name be? I'd like to see both the former and the latter. In the case of the latter, one name kicking around in my head is the Dominion.
    "like Warren Moon before he defected, a perfect spiral!" - Eugene Judd

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee View Post
    recently, I've gotten hooked on back issue sof the old 1970s WWII Invaders stories (I just bought an absolute gorgeous Alex Ross invaders posters yesterday,) and the one downside the stories have is their is no Canadian members. The most famous lineup has three Americans (Cap,mBucky, and Toro), two Brits (Union Jack and Spitfire) an Android (human Torch,) an Atlantean (Namor) and an alien i think (Vision, compeltely different from the avengers android Vision.) i know they retconned in AF 106 with Major MapleLeaf as an "unoffical member (p.s I want that opening page of maple leaf cap and a couple invaders charging over a map of nazi occupied Europe as a poster so bad,) but we never got to see any of his past exploits( rightfully so as it was not relevant to the major issue in the comic, homosexuality and AIDS.) my question is would anyone like to see Maybe like a MM invaders limited series, or maybe a miniseries about a Canadian WWII hero not yet created, and if so what would that hero or heroines name be? I'd like to see both the former and the latter. In the case of the latter, one name kicking around in my head is the Dominion.
    So this is related in an unrelated way.

Eons ago, when I was a wee lad, I remember really enjoying ALL STAR SQUADRON - well, issue #27 and #28 were BURNED into my memory. I had, long since, lost those comics (probably in one of my moves). I don't even remember if I had any other issues besides those two. But the cover of those two were something I always remembered. So, about a year ago, I went and began getting all the issues of ALL STAR SQUADRON in lumps (bought the first 30 issues). And they're DC, yes, and they're Earth 2, yes - but they're also WWII period pieces, that was written in the 80's.

Now, in order to "maintain that WWII" feeling - it's written how characters would have talked then. This includes, what I would consider, the over the top cheesy dialogue. To the point of nasueum. And then it's filled with endless racist remarks. (Again, I get it, because it's supposed to be a period and that's how people spoke then - like, "Let's blow those chinks out of the air!" or "Get those slant eyes!" or "Take down the yellow skins!") Because the Nazis weren't the only enemies; with the bombing of Pearl Harbor. So, while I understand the dialogue and the purpose of it - it does make it a bit annoying to read, between the cheesy dialogue and the racist remarks. So, I personally, would pass on a WWII type story. (I couldn't even finish reading ALL STAR SQUADRON, I think I got up to issue #27, before I decided to read other old comics).

There was also Chinook he was active during WW II http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix3/chinookaf.htm and Living Totem http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix5/livingtotemwp.htm
    Last edited by Ranger1966; 06-02-2016 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Adding character

As he comes from a great line of Sarcee mystics Michael Twoyoungmen grandfather comes to mind? A really cool character that Ive mention before that appears only in the British Marvel line of comics but is from the main Marvel U..Night Raven. Drop in one of the Eskimo Gods...maybe use Saint Elmo from First Flight, he claimed to be the a god & thousands of years old. We can add Logan or Sabertooth for star power. I think one of the women that were Nemesis would have been active during WW2, plus of course Puck would have been around as well. Need another women to balance out the Dudes! Couldn't Snowbird been reborn in a previous decade as well?

We have some solid heroes to draw from....what about the mutant form James Hudson's family line... Victor Hudson? or Even Dog Logan as he's a time-traveler, maybe theirs some Villains we can look at too. Maybe the Master gets involved?

MML Snr, Chinook, Saint Elmo and (a)Nemesis would be a good shout.

Would the First Flight members have met Beta Flight? I'd be tempted to have 'normal' Eugene Judd in there too if it doesn't contradict him knowing Saint Elmo and Chinook.

Maybe Nelvanna could be involved rather than Snowbird?

A good shout out with tall Puck....he kinda looks like a Johnny Canuck!..and they are both pilots! ...then again who isn't in the Marvel U.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	canuck.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	337.5 KB 
ID:	5313

Nelvanna is a cool idea as the Canadian Whites published a hero called Nelvanna and she fought the Nazis! I think I read somewhere that Bryne's inspiration for Snowbird came from the Nelvanna comics.

Name:	Nelvana.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	5314

The Erie Canal Warrior Alpha Flight

Quote Originally Posted by Human Fly View Post
    Nelvanna is a cool idea as the Canadian Whites published a hero called Nelvanna and she fought the Nazis! I think I read somewhere that Bryne's inspiration for Snowbird came from the Nelvanna comics.

Name:	Nelvana.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	5314
    It wouldn't surprise me. In a book im reading about nationalist superheros, they specifically mention the similarities between Nelvanna in those old books and how Byrne made her snowbirds mom in alpha flight. And tall puck ain't a bad choice easier,although I think he stated that he found the black blade of Baghdad in the 1930s.
    "like Warren Moon before he defected, a perfect spiral!" - Eugene Judd

I do mean the Marvel Nelvanna (note the double n) who's Snowbird's mother.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee View Post
    And tall puck ain't a bad choice easier,although I think he stated that he found the black blade of Baghdad in the 1930s.
    Ahh yeah, good point.
    Scratch that then
    Last edited by Phil; 06-03-2016 at 10:50 AM.

I would think Oxbow of First Line from Marvel's Lost Generation would have been active around that time as well.

I hate the whole black blade storyline...but I love characters that have been around for a long time... so Im torn. My back issues are in storage so I cant look it up but didn't puck train in tibet? I always thought it would be really cool if Puck was part of Stick's The Chaste but was kicked out much like Elektra.