Thread: Article: Kamala Khan Meets Alpha Flight In Ms. Marvel #8

Default Article: Kamala Khan Meets Alpha Flight In Ms. Marvel #8

Odd how Marvel wants to reach out to new groups with tons of 'diversity' but ignores the team that has First Nations heroes, a short guy, a red head, a mentally disturbed hero, women, men, a half-breed of a sort, on and on.

cool. More cameos the better. I dig the art too

Quote Originally Posted by Mokole View Post
    Odd how Marvel wants to reach out to new groups with tons of 'diversity' but ignores the team that has First Nations heroes, a short guy, a red head, a mentally disturbed hero, women, men, a half-breed of a sort, on and on.
    Yeah, but those are adults who have been around since the 70's & 80's.
    While there clearly is diversity AF are totally different to what they're doing with Kamala and Miles.

An addition to the above, as it comes off sounding gruffer than I had in my mind:

AF are definitely a diverse group that Marvel are wasting and should be utilizing.
    I just think it should be in addition to creating new diverse characters such as Kamala and Miles Morales.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

While I have no problem with diversity, honestly I wish they'd stop getting rid of undiverse characters to bring it about. It comes across as counter to their intent (ie: 'We can't have white people! That would be racist!' without seeing the contradiction.)

~ Le Messor
    "He who thinks little, errs much."
    ~ from the Notebooks of Leonardo Da Vinci

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    While I have no problem with diversity, honestly I wish they'd stop getting rid of undiverse characters to bring it about. It comes across as counter to their intent (ie: 'We can't have white people! That would be racist!' without seeing the contradiction.)

~ Le Messor
    "He who thinks little, errs much."
    ~ from the Notebooks of Leonardo Da Vinci
    Oddly, my son says the exact same thing.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

My question is: how do you consider this diversity if everyone is American? Sure they may be from different cultural backgrounds, but they all grew up in the same country with the same (American) culture, education, and attitudes. They all seem to behave the same way and share the same ideas, aside from skin colour I'm not seeing much that is different about them.

I'm not sure which 'everyone' and 'they' you're referring to here, but Ms. Marvel is a very different culture, education and attitude. That's one of the biggest parts of the book.

"Everyone' and "they" are the new characters.
    Unless you're saying Ms. Marvel was born and raised in a different country she is being brought up in the American culture, in American school, watching American TV, reading American books/magazines, with American friends, while fighting alongside (almost exclusively) American heroes. In fact, from what I've read, it's not culture but religion that is the big difference with the character.
    However, what I'm trying to get at is the MU used to contain characters/teams from around the world, and now the few non-American characters live and work in the US, or at least within American-controlled organizations. Even AF seems to be an American-run organization now.
    IMHO, the diversity being touted is only in relation to what it is to be American.

Interesting points, Legerd, and I do agree a lot with what you're saying. A Muslim hero from the MIddle East shouldn't necessarily act like an American, nor should a Hindu from India. Cultural differences, in my experience, are a lot wider than the media typically shows.