Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daredevil

The Erie Canal Warrior Alpha Flight

Default Daredevil

Just curious if anybody else on the forum is reading the current volume of Daredevil. If so there are certain elements im eager to debate (mainly his new costume, the "somehow" managing to erase his secret identity from everyone's memory except Foggys, and the recent beginning Elektra arc)
    "like Warren Moon before he defected, a perfect spiral!" - Eugene Judd

I'm on MCU so I'm 6 months behind everything that doesn't have an Alphan in.

I haven't been a big fan of Daredevil. I have read a couple issues but just couldn't click with it.
    “God made only one of each of us. It's up to us to make the most of our individuality.” Kevin Max

Quote Originally Posted by Mekko Hotvle View Post
    I haven't been a big fan of Daredevil. I have read a couple issues but just couldn't click with it.
    I got into it via the Netflix series. It's okay so far ( the current volume which I believe is number 4)

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee View Post
    I got into it via the Netflix series. It's okay so far ( the current volume which I believe is number 4)
    If you want good Daredevil - you're going to have to go with the original series - around the 150's to the somewhere past the 200's.

The Bendid/Maleev & Brubaker/Lark runs in Volume 2 are good, albeit gritty.
    The Waid/Samnee runs in Volumes 3 & 4 are good too.
    I haven't read any of the current Soule run.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    The Bendid/Maleev & Brubaker/Lark runs in Volume 2 are good, albeit gritty.
    The Waid/Samnee runs in Volumes 3 & 4 are good too.
    I haven't read any of the current Soule run.
    are the runs you mention in vol 2 as or more gritty as the Micah savage/born again stuff from volume 1? Long story short I found out the hard way those two arcs were far too depressing so as much as I like the daredevil stuff, I'm hesitant to read anything past daredevil vol 1 200 without knowing the content beforehand. Issues 201 to 234 were far too dark for my taste

Quote Originally Posted by Tawmis View Post
    If you want good Daredevil - you're going to have to go with the original series - around the 150's to the somewhere past the 200's.
    I read issues 1-236 of volume plus a handful of the 300 number issues. 1-150 was entertaining but in a classy laughy these were the swinging sixties and seventies kind of way (I got really invested in DD and BW as a couple.) 150-200 was the right balance of humor with grit. 201-234 for the most part had too much dark stuff happening to his supporting cast one after the other and I couldn't bring myself to read anymore of vol 1 after that. 235-236 was a good story arc but by that point I was emotionally spent. What i read in the 300s seemed more to my taste.
    Last edited by Yankee; 05-13-2016 at 01:12 PM.

The Bendis/Maleev & Brubaker/Lark runs in Volume 2 are good, albeit gritty.
    I wasn't aware you had such a funny sense of humor... Cute that those two in particular can do good... Man, my sides hurt from laughing too much...

EDIT: To be clear, I'm kidding. While I am not a fan of them, I do understand that other people enjoy their writing.
    Last edited by Tawmis; 05-13-2016 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Making it a little more clear that I was kidding. :-)

To be honest; I hate 99% of Bendis' superhero work.
    His Daredevil is crime fiction masquerading as Superhero. That's why it works.

To be honest; I hate 99% of Bendis' superhero work.
    His Daredevil is crime fiction masquerading as Superhero. That's why it works.
    And that's fair enough! Some people can write a specific niche very well.

I've not read his Daredevil stuff (admittedly, because I have been turned off by his Avengers run). As well as his X-Men run. (I disliked his X-Men run, and no idea why I had hope that All New X-Men would be good, when I generally hate time displaced characters)...

Has anyone read Kevin Smith's Daredevil run? I know he didn't finish the Daredevil/Bullseye, which he only wrote one issue for that limited series. I have never read the first DD miniseries he did with Joe Q.
    “God made only one of each of us. It's up to us to make the most of our individuality.” Kevin Max

Yup.
    I liked a lot of it, but there's one serious part that people have issue with.
    It's not a miniseries though, it's the start of Volume 2.

Yup.
    I liked a lot of it, but there's one serious part that people have issue with.
    It's not a miniseries though, it's the start of Volume 2.
    Trying to remember - but wasn't it a part of "Marvel Knights" line thing that they were trying to do?