RE: Death of Mac

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee View Post
I'd say yes and no. Yes because it was macs team and to lose him so early, particularly with not much emphasis on Heather it left the team rudderless for a bit too long. Didn't help that in the time between Mac dying and Heather properly becoming leader ie vindicator Byrne was gone and Mantalo was in.
And that may be it - the book, while still under Byrne's handle - seemed to lose direction after issue #12, in terms of the team as a whole. It's like he had the first 12 issues paced - but anything after that was sort of adlibed.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
Okay, Tawmis, you're making me figure stuff out about myself! How dare you?!
Sometimes it's fun to do... Not when it's actual work related stuff - but hobby stuff.

Byrne's characters:
The originals and bests. I loved them when Byrne created them and wrote them - though none survived his loss intact.
It was interesting that each of them were given some serious quirks.
Aurora = Dual Personality
Northstar = Rudeness (due to "covering up" his Sexuality)
Puck = Dwarf, with constant pain
Shaman = Insecurities (dealing with his daughter)
Snowbird = Powerless outside of Canada

His Nemesis is probably my all-time favourite character - just from that one issue (not counting Mantlo's version).
Nemesis was your favorite character? Really? Out of everyone? I have to hear why.

I loved the way he wrote Wild Child; somebody who came across as a cheap knock-off of Wolverine, but with a very erudite way of speaking; somebody who looked weird, but not comic-book weird: real world weird. (This was before somebody decided that people who read stories about guys who fly must want ultra-realism above all, and everything was 'realistic'.)
I agree. I liked his disfigured facial appearance (which, for reasons unknown, eventually went away... probably to make him more appealing when they wanted to write him more of a hero).

This is one of the reasons, despite disliking Volume 3 of the New Warriors, I actually _really_ liked the character Microbe.

I loved Snowbird's power-set, though not her origins.
What is it you don't like about her origins?

I like these guys, too, though not all the same. The Goblyn/Pathway duo appeals to me (and I named my cat Goblyn); the quietness of Pathway (who, by the way, was my introduction to autism - when I first read her, I thought it was just a personality trait).
I do think they were the best success of the post Byrne characters.

St. Elmo... Sooo Brian Blessed!
I am missing the reference I think?

Manbot I don't even consider a character, just a piece of equipment.
The trash compactor in Star Wars was better than Manbot...