Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on the ending to volume 4.

The Erie Canal Warrior Alpha Flight

Default Opinions on the ending to volume 4.

Now on the surface, I am not entirely opposed to the idea of Mac leading Alpha flight, while Heather raises Claire as a single parent (or for that matter go against the grain and have Heather lead the flight and Mac be a stay at home dad.) but the execution......geez where do I start.

1. Heather is still under Unity control when she takes off with Claire. This makes her departure anything but a happy ending as she is technically still brainwashed (the only reason she briefly turned on the master is because he threatened Claire.) under which she has shown up no problem straight up murdering her cousin, and showed zero remorse for ordering government sanctioned murder against her teammates. Even a brainwashed heather I can't buy saying, " I thought I told them to kill that little ****" (in reference to puck.) how is this a feel good moment as the last page and particulalrly the last line let daddy protect his country and ill protect you bluntly suggest it's supposed to be?

2. Because of point 1, I have a real hard time swallowing Alpha Flight has not put out an all points bulletin out on heather and Claire. As much as Mac loves heather, he knows full well what the unity process does and I cannot seem he resigning himself to the fact that his only child is being raised by a ticking time bomb. Also how can he just sit idly by with the women he loves still controlled by said process. And how can Puck and Wolverine let this happen, particularly based on their extensive history and platonic love for Heather?
    Last edited by Yankee; 03-28-2016 at 11:13 AM.
    "like Warren Moon before he defected, a perfect spiral!" - Eugene Judd

I'd recommend reading Amazing X-Men:World War Wendigo, if you haven't already.
    While it doesn't address the issues you've outlined, it moves AF on from Vol.4.
    Last edited by Phil; 04-02-2016 at 07:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    I'll definately check that out!

I can't remember if Claire was ever addressed? I have a feeling she was - I feel like when she was explaining things to Wolverine?

the link doesn't work. At least not from me

It worked that time! Wow....... Rough year is understatement of the century.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee View Post
    Now on the surface, I am not entirely opposed to the idea of Mac leading Alpha Flight... but the execution... She has no problem straight up murdering her cousin, and showed zero remorse for ordering government sanctioned murder against her teammates... How is this a feel good moment as the last page?
    How can he just sit idly by with the woman he loves still controlled by said process?
    So, basically, v4 is DC?

Sadly, comic book companies tend to just ignore/forget/gloss over a lot of the where-do-we-go-from-here moments that really need further story time when it comes to the B and C list characters. Hopefully, someone decides to tell the story about how Heather was on the run with Claire, was hunted down, captured, deprogrammed, and went through therapy to deal with murdering her cousins. I think it would make for a great little miniseries with a lot of dark undertones.
    Maybe someone here could write a fanfic?

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    So, basically, v4 is DC?
    Because we have never seen Heather kill - not even programmed? - and suffer no consequence of it?

Oh. That's right. She killed Snowbird. Showed no remorse. Suffered no consequence. No jail time. Nothing. Just moved on.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

You make a good point, Tawmis.

~ Le Messor
    "Forgiveness is not an occasional act: it is a permanent attitude."
    ~ Dr. Martin Luther King

Um she did show remorse or did you forget the beginning of the very next issue when the team buried snowbird, her husband, and their child? And if she hadn't killed snowbird then the evil pestilence would have taken control of snowbirds body. That's a very different situation from murdering her cousins because they had LEGAL custody of Claire.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee View Post
    Um she did show remorse or did you forget the beginning of the very next issue when the team buried snowbird, her husband, and their child? And if she hadn't killed snowbird then the evil pestilence would have taken control of snowbirds body. That's a very different situation from murdering her cousins because they had LEGAL custody of Claire.
    I remember the burial on the cliff - I don't remember Heather reflecting on any remorse.

Certainly lacking faith that perhaps Snowbird (a demi-goddess) might have been able to do something if Pestilence tried it, rather than going straight for, "Let's kill our beloved teammate."

(Granted, Snowbird eventually came back - but as one of my favorites at the time, I was _so_ pissed... and that fury still boils deep... as you can see).

At least when she murdered her cousins - if I remember correctly - she was still mentally programmed. And Marvel gives a free pass when that happens. (Cough, Cough, Winter Soldier killing Nomad in cold blood, cough, cough).
    Last edited by Tawmis; 04-07-2016 at 12:43 AM.

If that's not remorse I don't know what is Tawmis. And she did hesitate to give snowbird a chance, because she could have killed her earlier to allow the baby's good spirit to render pestilence inert, instead the controlled snowbird killed the child, showing heather snowbird had no control and she had to be stopped. And again to compare this to what happend in volume 4 is comparing apples and oranges. But then again snow bird was arguably my least favorite character during this arc so maybe I im biased. But then further again heather spent a lot of time in this arc ciritcizing my fav character, Puck, and yet I'm still arguing her case
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	371.7 KB 
ID:	5198   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	408.5 KB 
ID:	5199  

16. 04-07-2016