Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Wolf

Default Red Wolf

Read the first issue of Red Wolf, it is going to be a great series. As a tribal member, I enjoy seeing tribal characters in the comic world. Pick it up and give it a chance. Also, help me support the cover artist and his great looking work.
    “God made only one of each of us. It's up to us to make the most of our individuality.” Kevin Max

Mekko, please provide a link so the members can access the series and check it out! Thanks.
    Are you an Alpha Flight Collector?

http://alphaflightcollector.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by rplass View Post
    Mekko, please provide a link so the members can access the series and check it out! Thanks.
    I don't think it's a matter of a link - it's Red Wolf, from Marvel Comics. So I think it's a physical copy. (Or maybe I am misunderstanding your statement?)

It seemed a bit generic to me, to be honest.

I picked up Red Wolf #1. Have not yet read it.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Yes, but what do you think of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    Yes, but what do you think of it?
    Uh, well I still haven't read it yet if that question is directed at me.

I will say, I am sucker for Native American characters.

Back in the day when I was doing that "Alternate Marvel" thing, when I was writing the "Uncanny X-Men" I introduced a Native American Indian character.

And there's a comic idea I am working on now, I want to self publish with a good friend who has already self published a few comics of his own - and it centers on - you guessed it, a Native American character.

So I would say, even before I read it, it's already on the positive side.

But leave it to Marvel to pull the rug from under me.

Plan on reading it tomorrow.

I asked the writers if there was a chance that Bravestarr could make a appearance. I know it will not happen. But it could be a good idea. ha. But honestly, I did enjoy the first issue and I do hope this has a long run. It will be something for the tribal kids to get into and lookup to a comic book character. I wished that Marvel would do more with Moonstar and John Proudstar, somehow including them in the X-men movies. But I said the same thing about Hasbro including Spirit in the G.I. Joe movies. I also asked if Shaman and Talisman would somehow be able to make appearances in Red Wolf.

BTW, I am full-blood Muscogee Creek/ Cherokee.

J.R. Wind
    “God made only one of each of us. It's up to us to make the most of our individuality.” Kevin Max

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mekko Hotvle View Post
    I wished that Marvel would do more with Moonstar and John Proudstar, somehow including them in the X-men movies.
    Unless I'm mistaken, John Proudstar was in the last X-Men movie (DoFP).

BTW, I am full-blood Muscogee Creek/ Cherokee.
    I think that's really cool!
    I've got 1/8th Indian blood, but I don't know which tribes. Cherokee is a possibility.

~ Le Messor
    "Don't Bunt! Aim out of the ballpark. Aim for the company of the immortals."
    ~ David Ogilvy

Well, John Proudstar (Thunderbird) is still - unfortunately, dead. Though Chaos War showed how much potential he still had.
    James Proudstar (Warpath) however (his brother) is still alive, and I also believe that's who was in the X-Men movie.

My thoughts on Red Wolf #1 (Potential Spoilers Ahead! Thou Hath Been Warned!)

S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R

S
    P
    A
    C
    E

So first, it's a little disappointing that it's not the Red Wolf I know and love; I figured it was going to be the super hero Red Wolf that's been around.

However, this story takes place in 1872 - which apparently means it's supposed to be the same Red Wolf from Secret Wars (from the series 1872 or whatever - didn't read ANY of Secret Wars or the tie ins, so just going based off of what I dug up and found).

The story was all right - it felt like there was an issue with pacing; like a lot of it seemed to be filler. It also felt a little rushed at the same time. Because, rather than getting a chance to see and learn more about the "boy" he takes with him when he's tracking the "footprints" - and the boy meets an untimely end - there is absolutely ZERO impact on the boy's death. None. Zero. Nothing. I feel like had this been the third issue and the developed the boy - there would have been more impact when the boy met his final fate. (And why did the father say, "Take my son" when almost all of them seemed to be extremely racist towards Indians - would you trust your son to an Indian if just a second ago you were blaming "Indian Magic" for three people mysteriously being killed?) So I felt like there SHOULD have been more development here. Because these little things took me out of the story. But, despite that I was still okay with it - until the very end and he's transported to "the future" (or present time). All in the same issue. Again, had this been developed more - this might have had better impact that now he's time displaced (Oh Good, another time displaced character - because that's so &*(!@ing original).

So it was okay, but it definitely had things that annoyed me. I'd give it a solid "C" grade.

Still reading Red Wolf. Still not sure what to think since moving him to present day world. I am really enjoying seeing the traditional covers. wish tey would let him do more variants for Red Wolf

Still reading Red Wolf. Still not sure what to think since moving him to present day world. I am really enjoying seeing the traditional covers. wish tey would let him do more variants for Red Wolf
    It's really, really, good. I am really enjoying it. Though I do miss the actual Red Wolf character I grew up.

I must admit, I didn't grew up reading the Vol 1 of Red Wolf, so I have decided to go and search for the Vol 1 issues. And I hope Jeffery does your podcast show in the near future.
    Last edited by Mekko Hotvle; 03-29-2016 at 11:22 AM.

I must admit, I didn't grew up reading the Vol 1 of Red Wolf, so I have decided to go and search for the Vol 1 issues. and hope Jeffery does you show in the future.
    I don't think the original Red Wolf ever had his own series. He was just a character that frequently appeared in other titles (like Spider-Man, Defenders, Avengers).

I mean, he represented two things I have always been interested in. Native American Indians. And a guy who had a wolf as a side kick. Really, for me, couldn't ask for more.

EDIT: Well, I stand - or sit - corrected. Now I must find these...