Thread: Favorite Covers

Hybrid View

Default Favorite Covers

What is your favorite Alpha Flight cover...from each series?

Series 1 (1983): Issue 91

Series 2 (1997): Issue 14

Series 3 (2004): Issue 8

Series 4 (2011): Issue 2 Variant
    “God made only one of each of us. It's up to us to make the most of our individuality.” Kevin Max

Nice thread!

Vol.1 - #12 - Iconic, often homaged & never bettered, a brave choice
    Vol.2 - #19 - This was hard as most V2 covers were forgettable but this was the closest to a team shot
    Vol.3 - #2 - Love the humour
    Vol.4 - #0.1 - It was close between this and #1 Variant, but I thought this pipped it in it's portrayal of the team
    Last edited by Phil; 10-09-2015 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Reasons.

Series 1 (1983): Issue 3 or 5

Series 2 (1997): Issue 12

Series 3 (2004): Issue 2

Series 4 (2011): 0.1

Vol 1. - Issue #1 (Simply iconic, and great it has so many on it!) Though issue #26 is a very, very, very close second.
    Vol 2. - Issue #2 (with Master on the cover, which is a variant cover) or issue #12 (because I appreciate what they're doing)
    Vol 3. - Issue #3 - because of the nod, or issue #12 (again for the nod)
    Vol 4. - Issue 0.1 - hands down.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Vol 1. - 3 - no contest. The stark black-and-white makes it so iconic for me!
    Vol 3. - 4, with its Escher cover, is intriguing and could make people wonder what's inside (which a cover should do!); 5 has flying horses!
    Vol 4. - I love to play Where's Wally on #2; or (laughing with it, not at it) #3 has a very nice, simple image - that reveals so much. Aurora's shattered psyche on display with a single head shot.

~ Le Messor
    "By the time your face clears up, your brain starts going fuzzy."
    ~ Anonymous

Wow, tough one, most of my connections with the covers are not artwork related!

V1: 19 , Because nostalgic reasions. Just a personal connection to this particular issue, remembering buying it as a kid with my dad at the little newsstand next to the post office. Stupidly fond memory.
    V2: 6. Because I had it on top of my comic book box next to my bed for years. Never moved it. So it seems like an iconic portrayal of my entire collection.
    V3: 12. Because I own Clayton's artwork! I got it framed next to the issue, looks amazing. I'll post a pic one day. It's really cool.
    V4: 0.1 Because that time I went to Midtown comics for the signing and got to meed FREG and Mark and Thor. What a great day!
    Are you an Alpha Flight Collector?

http://alphaflightcollector.wordpress.com

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rplass View Post
    V2: 6. Because I had it on top of my comic book box next to my bed for years. Never moved it. So it seems like an iconic portrayal of my entire collection.
    That's cool! I have a cover like that... when I started collected, I began by just leaving my comics in a stack, earliest on top. That meant the same issue was there for aaages.

... Y'know, now I can't remember what it even was.

~ Le Messor
    "When you get to my age the mind is the first thing to panda bear."

Actually, and I apologize to the thread for breaking topic, but hey, the whole story behind Alpha Flight v2 #6 is more than just "it was on top of my box". I have always been fastidious about properly storing comics in bags and boards, in long boxes. When I first started collecting as a child, I was unusually careful with preserving the NM/M condition of all my purchases. Even as a really young kid I was obsessed with only buying the most perfect condition comics at cons and stores. With the exception of one comic (you'll never guess which one*), my collection comic to comic remains in the same pristine state as I found them off the racks in the early 80s when I first started.

All that came to a halt when I could no longer find the kinds of bags I wanted. I prefer the thicker polyethylene bags over the crystal clear and thinner polypropylene bags. None of the local stores carried the thicker bags. I went everywhere (and we have a lot of stores in NYC) and still couldn't find them. I had many, many comics that were unbagged, kept in long boxes, unread and I almost completely dropped out of comic collecting because of the stupid bags.

I finally ran out of my last thick bag with Alpha Flight v2 #6. It was the last comic that I had properly stored and that's why it was on top. After that, the pleasure of collecting, indexing, organizing, etc. was just gone. Months would go by without buying comics (gasp!). And when I did buy, they would sit unread in a long box in the closet. It was really depressing, and this went on for several years.

Finally, years later, as comic book storage companies came online, I found the thick bags. They are the SMAR4 bags from bagsunlimited.com:

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/p-3715...ic-sleeve.aspx

(I strongly recommend to all collectors to buy supplies from bagsunlimited. Their products are superior, shipping is free for most orders and they have excellent customer service. You just tell them what you want to store and they send you a free sample, it's great.)

Anyway, after I hooked up with bagsunlimited.com, I quickly bagged up all the fallow comics and got back into the weekly binge, joined alphaflight.net and the rest is history.

[For the record, I use BCW current backing boards:

http://www.bcwsupplies.com/cat/comic...backing-boards

and since the 80s, have chosen short boxes instead of the long boxes which my aging back can no longer handle moving around.]

*-that issue is Booster Gold #4, which is my favorite non-Alpha Flight comic book, ever, read a billion times and no longer mint condition.
    Are you an Alpha Flight Collector?

http://alphaflightcollector.wordpress.com

Images

Wow, I wasn't that fastidious when I started, and I was a teenager!
    It was years before I started boarding. (Though I always bagged.)

Keep 'em coming folks. I just recently came across V4-0.1. I must say that the cover is really nice looking. the story was nice. I am hoping to get the whole series thru mycomicshop soon along with V2 and V3.
    “God made only one of each of us. It's up to us to make the most of our individuality.” Kevin Max

Images

Yeah, v4 0.1 has a very nicely-done cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    Yeah, v4 0.1 has a very nicely-done cover.
    V4 in general was done very well. Covers and stories.