Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back issues

Default Back issues

So with the recent announcement that Alpha Flight will be joining Ms. Marvel in space. So question is, will people start go searching for back issues and if so, which volume do you think they will most likely go searching for? I just hope sellers don't up the prices to an insane amount.

Just curious,

J.R.W
    “God made only one of each of us. It's up to us to make the most of our individuality.” Kevin Max

To be honest I don't think any Captain Marvel or casual readers will search out back issues.

The only way there'll be interest/prices will go up, is if we see them in Film, ala the BH6 issue of Vol.2

Good question.
    If I were looking to bring myself up to speed on Alpha Flight, I'd try to pick up as much as possible of two volumes... the first (vol. 1) and the last (vol. 4).
    The Flight Forever !

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    To be honest I don't think any Captain Marvel or casual readers will search out back issues.
    The only way there'll be interest/prices will go up, is if we see them in Film, ala the BH6 issue of Vol.2
    It doesn't always have to be a film. Sometimes characters just take off. If a character suddenly becomes trendy - whether film (Rocket Raccoon, Groot) or sometimes just popularity (Deadpool's "worth" came MANY years after his initial appearance, without movie, cartoon, etc). People just really liked the character and sought out his first appearance.

To be honest, I'm contemplating going back and finding older volumes of Carol Danvers.
    I always liked the Carol Danvers character. She's been through a lot, and has changed her costume (and demeanor) more than once. She's been part of the X-Men and the Avengers.
    I researched back and found a pretty good collage of her personas through the years. Not sure if this is all of them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Danvers.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	4833
    The Flight Forever !

Quote Originally Posted by Alphan East View Post
    To be honest, I'm contemplating going back and finding older volumes of Carol Danvers.
    I always liked the Carol Danvers character. She's been through a lot, and has changed her costume (and demeanor) more than once. She's been part of the X-Men and the Avengers.
    I researched back and found a pretty good collage of her personas through the years. Not sure if this is all of them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Danvers.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	4833
    Her solo series was a pretty fun read. Her appearance in the Avengers (the original run of Avengers) was absolutely great.
    Her run in Busiek's run was all right - I disliked her attitude she had (granted mostly because she developed a drinking problem).
    But her time with the X-Men, and as Binary - was so freaking amazing. She gained so much power - and reasonably so (during the big Brood story UXM #161/2-167, but mainly 164).

As for the picture - it is correct. After Warbird, she did go back to Captain Marvel, wearing the same uniform she had as Warbird.

Quote Originally Posted by Tawmis View Post
    It doesn't always have to be a film. Sometimes characters just take off. If a character suddenly becomes trendy - whether film (Rocket Raccoon, Groot) or sometimes just popularity (Deadpool's "worth" came MANY years after his initial appearance, without movie, cartoon, etc). People just really liked the character and sought out his first appearance.
    It doesn't have to be, no, but I still think AF have passed that point.

Deadpool's first appearance was 1991 and he came to "cult-hood" around 2008, 17 years later, after 2 minis and 2 ongoings.
    AF's first appearance was 1979 and 35 years later have had 3 ongoings and 2 minis and still haven't found that niche; Vol.1 issues can still be picked up in 50c bins.

Short of a film, or a major, major creative team taking on the team, I don't think back issues will become a priority.

I've decided to do a re-read of Alpha Flight vol. 1 and review the issues as they come, and was wondering if anyone would be interested in participating I would love to pick their brains.

Thanks

Definitely interested.
    I've mentioned elsewhere about thinking doing it as a podcast, but a re-read & review would definitely suffice.

How frequently are you thinking?

Maybe 1 to 2 issues a day, depending on my and others schedules. I'm getting ready to start a new job, and I'm unsure what my schedule looks like yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Talisman View Post
    I've decided to do a re-read of Alpha Flight vol. 1 and review the issues as they come, and was wondering if anyone would be interested in participating I would love to pick their brains.

Thanks

Sign me up. It's been a few years since I've re-read vol. 1

Quote Originally Posted by Talisman View Post

Thanks
    I am always up for talking Alpha Flight.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Short of a film, or a major, major creative team taking on the team, I don't think back issues will become a priority.
    I think they just need some cool story telling... (which the last "volume" of Alpha Flight, thought could have done just that, because we got a clean Alpha Flight, with a little edge)... Because it's typically Fabian N. who writes Deadpool (and I believe the one who successfully be credited for making him as popular as he is now)... and Fabian also wrote New Warriors and a segment of the original Alpha Flight... I think Alpha Flight was too much of a mess by the time Fabian was writing it... which is why I think the latest volume had the potential to make Alpha Flight popular had it been given a chance to continue as a series.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

it's typically Fabian N. who writes Deadpool (and I believe the one who successfully be credited for making him as popular as he is now)...
    I thought it was someone else? (Can't remember who, but wrote part of the Deadpool ongoing.)

and Fabian also wrote New Warriors and a segment of the original Alpha Flight... I think Alpha Flight was too much of a mess by the time Fabian was writing it...
    He's definitely why I like New Warriors, but I didn't like his Alpha Flight. I've developed a theory about him:
    He'll take pretty much any job they give him. When he cares about that job, he's one of the greatest writers out there; when he doesn't, he's... not.
    That's why Linkara has to keep saying 'Fabian, you're a good writer! Stop appearing on my show!' (he only reviews bad comics). That's why New Warriors was great, his Alpha Flight wasn't. etc...

~ Le Messor
    "Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not; and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad."
    ~ Robert C. Savage

I will go with who ever makes the best Sasquatch and Puck.
    “God made only one of each of us. It's up to us to make the most of our individuality.” Kevin Max