Thread: AF buys

Default AF buys

What is the most you would pay for a Alpha Flight item?

I seen a AF #1 CGC 9.8 selling for 300.00 (mycomicshop.com). There is a Marvel Superhero First Issue AF graded 9 card going for 3.99 (ebay).
    Last edited by Mekko Hotvle; 08-27-2015 at 04:39 PM.
    “God made only one of each of us. It's up to us to make the most of our individuality.” Kevin Max

I'm not a big fan of grading comics, personally, so I don't think I could bring myself to pay anywhere near that for a slabbed comic or a variant.

I've paid close to that for original art but I think as that's unique and one off it's worth it.
    I've often wondered how much I'd be prepared to pay for some Byrne artwork...

In reality, the most I've actually ever paid for a comic was about $375 for a slabbed 9.8 UXM #121 and it's a beaut. $300 is way too hot for a AF#1 at 9.8, unless it's signed by ... Stan or JB.

The most I've paid for original art was in the $300 range, and that was from v3 (Clayton Henry's amazing stuff).

I've thought about this quite a bit. I've literally stood in front of artwork worth thousands and had to make this decision. Phil remembers me bringing him over to a dealer selling the original artwork from the Alpha Flight/X-Men Byrne Portfolio piece (I didn't buy, that was 5 figures). Basically if something appeals to me with strong AF content, I'm in. No limit except to what I could afford. Original art is most expensive you get for AF stuff, and since it keeps its value, I say go for it. The enjoyment factor is so high that I'd rather have the piece than the money.
    Are you an Alpha Flight Collector?

http://alphaflightcollector.wordpress.com

Yeah I am not a big fan of the graded and slabbed comic or cards. as long as they are in great condition, that price could be worth it. I would just be happy to get a JB signature. There are not a lot of conventions that come around the Oklahoma area, so I have to depend searching online stores. and when I do go to a comic book store, they usually have the AF books scattered in the low-bin boxes. So it s search and find.
    “God made only one of each of us. It's up to us to make the most of our individuality.” Kevin Max

My only JB signed comic is one I got from eBay as he doesn't do cons anymore.
    It was reasonably priced, to be fair.
    Everything else I've got signed was face to face with creators at cons.

I read somewhere that HE was going to be doing a star trek con since it is the 50 anniversary and will be signing only ST related items.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

I do have some Byrne-created Trek stuff.

How much would I pay?
    Good question. Depends on the item and how much I wanted it and how much I had.
    I haven't got a Build-A-Puck figure because I calculated the price (for me) at $90+, and that was too much. Especially since I already have Puck figures.

I paid $8 for my AF #1 (Mekko, I assume you mean v1?), but that was several years ago. If I was looking for it today, and could only find it for $300, I'd be content with the trade.

I went through a lot to get the original busts (don't rightly remember how much I paid for them, though). Had to drive to Sydney for Marrina.

All that aside, I've developed a rule in life:
    "In ten years time, you'll wish you had the thing. You won't still miss the money." (Of course, that doesn't mean I can fork out $300 for a single issue comic.)

~ Le Messor
    "Work is a four-letter word."
    ~ The Smiths (Morrissey)

Yeah I meant AF Vol 1 #1. still listed at 300.00 graded. I was able to find a non-grade AF Vol 1 #1 for less than 5 bucks still in a great condition. recently I was able to get a hold of 5 AF team trading cards for about 1.25 a piece. I also got the XM/AF The Gift #1 at the same time. I am still trying to complete my Vol. 1 series but later on I would like to get the bust's and action figures.

Images

Some of those busts and action figures are better than some of Vol. 1.

I wonder how they're selling #1 for that much? Wow! My most expensive issue was #13 (because it had Wolverine) and that was, like, $9-$10.

~ Le Messor
    "Contains genuine letter-graded meat!"
    ~ Krusty Burger ad
    Last edited by Le Messor; 09-03-2015 at 05:33 AM.

So thinking I would check on ebay to see what kind of AF stuff was up for sell/auction. I stumbled across a Vol 1 Alpha Flight #1 for......get ready....graded 9.9 for 695.00. here is how the title of the item is written: "Alpha Flight #1 PGX 9.9 MINT DC Comic"

Images

Clearly, the seller has an incredible understanding of the item on their hands!