Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: How would people feel if...

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Garry/Al-Fan View Post
    For every "good" person* saved, a "bad" person* has to be saved, too (*characters in Alpha Flight; for example, if Judd makes a deal to bring Roger Bochs back, he also has to bring back somebody like Jerry Jaxon)
    That's a great idea!

The only characters other than the originals ... Lou Sadler.
    Which one is that again?

When volume 4 was previewed, and it had a roster with characters that had the same names as every character that was in volume 1...I thought finally Alpha Flight was going to be restored! ...well...volume 4 is what it is.
    I hear ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Mekko Hotvle View Post
    How would you name the Puck/Puck II miniseries? Meet the Pucks? Puck Yu?
    I'd vote for Puck Yu, but I don't know if it would sell enough.
    Oh, that'd sell.
    (And it's a brilliant pun.)

~ Le Messor
    "Brains are an asset, if you hide them."
    ~ Mae West

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

I tried to clear up some of the things from that post, but I wasn't in time! I actually meant Lou Sadler, Jr.("Major Mapleleaf" the son [not the father], the character who got "killed" along with Zuzha Yu/Puck II in New Avengers # 16). It's amazing that nobody (neither Judd nor Mac nor Walt nor Michael* nor Heather mention anything about their fallen comrades. [* the least likely to have been brain-washed] Sure, mention is made to Heather killing Snowbird way-back-when, but the two newbies...what happened to them?
    Once upon a time, they exploded from the pages of The X-Men. For a moment, they were "Canada's answer to The Avengers."

They were ALPHA FLIGHT....

...once upon a time.

Mentioning them means admitting Volune 3 happened...

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Volume 3 wasn't all that bad (I liked some of the characters...)

The clone thing/time displaced/whatever was worse.

Exactly.
    If they bring up one thing it'll lead to the other.

Not saying they won't bring the characters back from the dead at some point; comics after all.

Images

For all its problems, 3 isn't my least favourite volume.

It's the only thing in the world I'm willing to call a 'guilty pleasure': for me, everything else is too guilty to be a pleasure, or too pleasurable to feel guilty about. (In practical terms, what that means is: If the guilt is about morality, if I think something is immoral to do, I try not to do it. (Which doesn't always mean I succeed.) OTOH, if it's about quality: if the point of something is enjoyment, and I'm enjoying it, I have a hard time saying it's bad. I can, however, see the objective badness of v3 but still enjoy it.)

Edit: Garry, looking at your post above, do you sometimes get that thing where you put up your post and all your carriage returns disappear? (That's actually the reason for this edit.)

~ Le Messor
    "Brain cells come and brain cells go, but fat cells live forever."
    ~ Anonymous
    Last edited by Le Messor; 09-23-2015 at 04:37 PM.

I actually enjoyed V3. That's not saying much as that is the only volume I have been able to read from start to end with the help of the TBPs being on sale. I was skipping around reading V1 due to the order I was buying the back issues as I find them and I still have a few big gaps in my V1 collection to fill. My favorite so far has been the team-up of F4 and the scrambled eggs attacking. With AF having tribal related characters also helped keep my interest. the only crazy moment I have had and got me going...WTH...is when Walter is a woman. Which I labeled the Caitlyn Issue. sorry to be off topic. Bring back dead Puck II!
    “God made only one of each of us. It's up to us to make the most of our individuality.” Kevin Max

Don't get me wrong; I enjoyed V3 a lot.
    It did seriously damage AF's reputation though as they became a joke team with a joke book.

Hence the decision to kill them off.

Enough time has passed so they're finally respected again; they won't complicate things.

I actually enjoyed V3. That's not saying much as that is the only volume I have been able to read from start to end with the help of the TBPs being on sale. I was skipping around reading V1 due to the order I was buying the back issues as I find them and I still have a few big gaps in my V1 collection to fill. My favorite so far has been the team-up of F4 and the scrambled eggs attacking. With AF having tribal related characters also helped keep my interest. the only crazy moment I have had and got me going...WTH...is when Walter is a woman. Which I labeled the Caitlyn Issue. sorry to be off topic. Bring back dead Puck II!
    Heh - well technically the topic of this thread started as ALPHA FLIGHT being called (TEAM MEMBER) AND ALPHA FLIGHT (like NORTHSTAR and ALPHA FLIGHT as the series name; sort of like WOLVERINE AND THE X-MEN).

For Volume 1 - what issues are you missing?

And if you're only WTF moment in V1 was the Walter as a woman, I'm surprised!

Don't get me wrong; I enjoyed V3 a lot.
    It did seriously damage AF's reputation though as they became a joke team with a joke book.
    Hence the decision to kill them off.
    Enough time has passed so they're finally respected again; they won't complicate things.
    Which is odd - because look at the Great Lake Avengers, or Squirrel Girl... Plenty of joke characters that actually thrive...

Of course, the New Warriors suffered the same fate; that dreaded limited series (very cartoony and silly story) sealed their fate apparently to be the ones to die to trigger Civil War...

Images

My favorite so far has been the team-up of F4 and the scrambled eggs attacking.
    Issues #2-4 and 18? Those are some of my favourites, too.

... when Walter is a woman. Which I labeled the Caitlyn Issue.
    That's more than one issue.

V3... It did seriously damage AF's reputation though as they became a joke team with a joke book.
    Hence the guilt to my pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by Tawmis View Post
    And if you're only WTF moment in V1 was the Walter as a woman, I'm surprised!
    Mekko does have some huge (but as yet undisclosed) gaps...

Quote Originally Posted by Tawmis View Post
    Which is odd - because look at the Great Lake Avengers, or Squirrel Girl... Plenty of joke characters that actually thrive...
    Howard The Duck, JLI...
    I know it's subjective, but I enjoy the humour in all those books more than v3 (but I do enjoy the humour in v3).

There's something... a certain je ne sais quoi that makes those titles all different to v3. I want to say they respect their characters, but not all of them do. There's a respectability to them, though, that's lacking in v3.

~ Le Messor
    "Tony the Tiger, Snap, Crackle and Pop were all murdered. Police are on the hunt for a cereal killer."

I have some down time this weekend I planned to go see what issues I am missing and hope to go to a couple stores in searching of AF. The nearest store is an hour away from where I live. but with that said, I did find the TPB of The Gift and the Spiderman/AF team up recently.

The most recent issues I read where the 4-part miniseries that had to deal with Her (I actually only read 2 issues of that so far) but that seems to be good so far.

and I read the Amazing X-Men/ AF Wendigo event.
    Last edited by Mekko Hotvle; 09-24-2015 at 01:39 PM.
    “God made only one of each of us. It's up to us to make the most of our individuality.” Kevin Max

I have some down time this weekend I planned to go see what issues I am missing and hope to go to a couple stores in searching of AF. The nearest store is an hour away from where I live. but with that said, I did find the TPB of The Gift and the Spiderman/AF team up recently.

The most recent issues I read where the 4-part miniseries that had to deal with Her (I actually only read 2 issues of that so far) but that seems to be good so far.

and I read the Amazing X-Men/ AF Wendigo event.
    Do you live within the US? If so - let me know what issues you're missing. I may be able to find some and send them your way.

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Mentioning Heather "killing" Snowbird admits that the Mantlo era existed.
    Once upon a time, they exploded from the pages of The X-Men. For a moment, they were "Canada's answer to The Avengers."

They were ALPHA FLIGHT....

...once upon a time.