Thread: Character errors - movies, costumes and general Q's

Default Character errors - movies, costumes and general Q's

Hey everyone. I'm new. Hello

So here it goes... We've witnessed changes in movies from original comic book characters. For example Wolverine being way taller and handsome on screen, The Kingpin in the Daredevil movie AND the new Fantastic 4 changed the race of their characters. Now, with that in mind which is most important to you: (feel free to list your own and/or elaborate)

1. The person acting can make you believe they ARE the character from the comic book series regardless of race and/or gender swap.

2. The costumes and exact features (looks, weight, height, personality) in the comics are replicated in the movie (of course with upgrades suited for the era we're in)

3. It really doesn't matter as long as the character(s) resembles somewhat of what you're familiar with, the story line is amazing and the effects are mind-blowing - including action sequences.

4. The same as number 3, but with the story line following that of the comics.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Hello again!

I guess, for me, I want to feel like I'm seeing the comics on screen. So for the ones you've listed, 3a. The characters have to resemble their originals; the storyline has to be good. I don't care as much about the FX, but amazing FX are assumed these days.

(NB: I'll keep saying 'movie', but it applied to TV series as well... or musicals, novels, whatever.)

That said, considering some notable failures (to me) in recent movies:
    First, the movie just has to be good. I want something fun, something I can enjoy. Something that isn't too insulting or (for me) grungy.

The movie crew - including and especially the costuming department - has to convince me they've read the comics in question.
    Then they have to convince me they care about the source material - the more they convince me they don't, the less likely I am to even watch the movie (assuming I have any attachment to the original, of course).
    They can't betray the main character; who they are, what they do.

Storylines are in comics are usually not specific, so I don't need to see one on screen. But if they are going to do a specific storyline - they have to do that storyline.

~ Le Messor
    "Academic disciplines are subject to being overtaken by attacks of "knowingness"-- a state of mind and soul that prevents shudders of awe and makes one immune to enthusiasm."
    ~ Richard Rorty

Images

(Looking over what I just wrote: Wow! Wall of text much?)

To me, as long as I'm entertained, the movies succeeded My biggest disappointements have been the Wolverine origin movies... snore!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sypes View Post
    To me, as long as I'm entertained, the movies succeeded
    For me, that's true of non-adaptations; but if it's an adaptation, it has to adapt the source material. Why, for example, would you bother making a movie based on a cartoon about a woman who has a rock superstar secret identity, and her band fights this evil band, only to decide it's a movie about a woman (with no secret identity) who becomes a rock star through YouTube, no evil band, nothing from the original? Why not just make an original movie?

~ Le Messor
    "A good listener is the wisest of persons."
    ~ W.G.P.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    (Looking over what I just wrote: Wow! Wall of text much?)
    This is exactly what I wanted. Thank you Le Messor!

I understand there may be some differences when translating a comic onto the screen, but as long as all major points stay close to being true and tie-in perfectly then I'm definitely a happy camper. As far as the actors being involved .... as long as the features are darn near close then I can let things slide. I know and understand there may have to be differences in order to adapt them to the times we're living in. A good example of what I'm trying to bring up is The Joker. Jack Nicholson's I feel was an exact replica of the comic while Heath Ledger portrayed The Joker like someone you could actually run into.

If and when a movie does happen I would love to see how they think up the costumes for Alpha Flight. I'm definitely itching for that.

Any input on how you think that would turn out? Who do you think will stay the same? Who do you think will be upgraded slightly? Who will be changed completely?
    Last edited by hydro; 05-28-2015 at 11:04 PM. Reason: spelling error

Images

Yeah, I thought Jack Nicholson captured the comics version perfectly, even if he was too heavy for the role.

I think the style of costume in the MCU has been a good compromise; they look good, and like their comics counterparts. I'd hope for something like that with an Alpha Flight movie.

How it would turn out depends, of course, on whether they let me direct it.
    Seriously, it'd be hard to do right - the mix of origins is too varied, I think, for the MCU. Maybe they could swing it, but they steer clear of 'actual' magic - which will cause problems with Shaman and Snowbird, maybe Sasquatch. (We still have Cumberbatch as Dr Strange to come, though, so maybe things will change.)

The real problem will be the twins - we could have them if this is an X-Universe movie, but then nobody else (or they'd all be mutants); or, if it's MCU, we couldn't. (Or they'd be Inhumans or something.)

~ Le Messor
    "Turn and face the strange changes - don't tell us to grow up!"
    ~ David Bowie
    Last edited by Le Messor; 07-08-2015 at 04:22 PM.

I for one would like to see Le Messor's take the director chair for the Alpha Flight movie and see what happens.

My thought on the twins part was change them to twin sisters from the First Nations. Keep Shaman and Talisman and their First Nations background.
    “God made only one of each of us. It's up to us to make the most of our individuality.” Kevin Max

Images

If only I had any directing talent...