Thread: Wendigo curse: artic gods or great beasts?

Default Wendigo curse: artic gods or great beasts?

Well since the amazing x-men story seems the origins of the curse has been retconned

who do you prefer created the curse: artic gods or the great beasts?

second question do you like the wendigo curse spreading like it did in amazing x-men and hulk?

Seeing as there have been new Great Beasts introduced since Byrne I'm sure there can be some kind of retcon to bring both origins in line.

I like the curse spreading as it's been pretty much the same for decades so needs a bit of a twist; it just takes some fine-tuning to make everything fit nicely.
    To what extent was the Chaos King involved in the Hulk ones? Was there a reason for the curse's manipulation?

I personally think it makes more sense the great beasts originated the curse. As for a punishment its worse for everyone else as it's not easy to stop a wendigo so they will constantly feed on innocent people. For a punishment for someone eating flesh it really does sucks for everyone else. Borderline evil thing to do.

well for decades it usually was one wendigo at a time. In chaos war, Somon manipulated the spell and turned people even tjough they didn't eat flesh, get beaten, etc. The hulk issues started the bite, scratch wendigo infection and guess it stuck. I prefer one at a time rather then multiple ones at once as it turns into the ninja effect as they become less of a threat in larger numbers even though it should be the opposite.

I don't think the chaos king had anything to do with the hulk issues or you mean Tanaraq? The border didn't seem to affect them which was odd. I did wonder if hercules brought back ranaq from the dead though.

Quote Originally Posted by -K-M- View Post
    I personally think it makes more sense the great beasts originated the curse. As for a punishment its worse for everyone else as it's not easy to stop a wendigo so they will constantly feed on innocent people. For a punishment for someone eating flesh it really does sucks for everyone else. Borderline evil thing to do.
    Indeed. I'm sure some kind of 'Great Beasts posing as Arctic Gods' scenario could be used.

well for decades it usually was one wendigo at a time. In chaos war, Somon manipulated the spell and turned people even tjough they didn't eat flesh, get beaten, etc. The hulk issues started the bite, scratch wendigo infection and guess it stuck. I prefer one at a time rather then multiple ones at once as it turns into the ninja effect as they become less of a threat in larger numbers even though it should be the opposite.

I don't think the chaos king had anything to do with the hulk issues or you mean Tanaraq?
    I don't read Hulk so wasn't sure, but in that case I think the synopsis for King-Size Hulk implies that Somon's manipulation in CW:AF altered the curse permanently. I read that it was a result of Chaos War and presumed the King, but Somon makes more sense, and helps with the Amazing X-Men revelations.

The border didn't seem to affect them which was odd.
    Easily chalked up to a previously unmentioned result of the manipulation.

I did wonder if hercules brought back ranaq from the dead though.
    Yeah, that's a nice easy retcon too!

Would make sense, but King size hulk came out in 2008 and Chaos War came out in 2010-2011 and the timeline of Choas War happened after what was going on in hulk's book. Would have made far more sense

Only catch is Ranaq did appear once during the Pestilence story.

Blimey, CW feels like years earlier.
    Oh well.

haha I know, I thought CW came out longer myself but jut did a double check

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

I prefer the 'One-at-a-time' curse;
    Partly because I've got tired of the 'if one of a character is cool / scary, let's do hundreds! That's so much kewler! Scarier! Scary-kewl!' style of writing.
    Partly because I've also got tired of the ignoring / changing of established rules until I as a reader don't know anything about what I'm reading anymore.

I do, though, agree that it makes more sense for the beasts to be the originators of the curse - or else it's "(S)he hate human flesh! We'll punish her (him) by making (him) her eat human flesh!".
    I'm seeing a logic fail somewhere in there.

~ Le Messor
    "A little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika."
    ~ Dorothy Parker

Multiple Wendigos is more in line with Native mythology (there was supposedly an island in Hudson Bay populated with them), so I prefer more than one (I'd rather they be loners, though...they don't strike me as "team-up" types). I do prefer the curse being a Great Beast concoction, it's makes more sense to me (I agree with Mik on the logic fail).

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!