Thread: World War Wendigo: Worthwhile?

Default World War Wendigo: Worthwhile?

Sorry, couldn't resist the lure of alliteration...

So, I've had to cut back on the amount of comics I buy. Can't afford to just blindly purchase stuff anymore. So I thought I'd ask: was this five-issue SL worth it? Should I be looking at buying the inevitable Comixology collection?

I would say yes! It takes place in Canada, features Alpha Flight as major guest stars, and the ending, well, fans of Guardian gonna love it. Won't spoil more than that. Oh and the art is true and fun. The only con is that overall it doesn't have a huge impact on the ongoing story of Alpha Flight. It's more like a solid guest appearance.
    Are you an Alpha Flight Collector?

http://alphaflightcollector.wordpress.com

I would definitely pick this one up. Really good story, featuring quite a few Alphans, plus I thought the artwork was really well done.
    Alpha Flight has a strong presence throughout the arc and there are a couple of items that are new to the Flight lore.
    All in all, a very good appearance. Hoping there is more to come.
    The Flight Forever !

I'd go as far to say it's the best guest-arc since UXM #120-121.
    Just bare in mind it IS an X-Men story so don't expect everything from Vol.4 to be addressed; the team are there as guest-stars and the focus isn't on them.
    That being said it is choc-full of Alpha goodness.

All right then! As soon as Marvel releases the "trade" to Comixology, I'll pick it up. Thanks folks! (I've gone digital. Bought a 10" tablet. Comics look gorgeous on it.)

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Just to confirm what you've already been convinced of, DMK: it was definitely a good, solid AF appearance.

~ Le Messor
    "A habit cannot be tossed out the window; it must be coaxed down the stairs a step at a time."
    ~ Mark Twain

The Erie Canal Warrior Alpha Flight

Can I be entirely honest?.... I Hated every second I read of this dreck.
    Now I loved the concept of world war wendigo but the execution where to start....

1. I know Aurora can be callous, but for her to actually suggest that Talisman is better off dead than in a relationship with puck? To care more about her life than that of an innocent child?
    2. I honestly think the only reason that they put puck in a relationship with talisman is because heathers with guardian. They literally had zero chemistry or romantic interest for what I don't know the entirety of alpha flights history. Plus the massive age difference (remember she was 6 when Heather was twelve when Judd was pushing sixty) and him being best friends with her father makes this a very squicky relationship and also insults both characters.
    3. The writers are too lazy to bother learning the names of Canadian provinces : ie they mention three cities by name in the arc: Forrest, Ottawa, and Brandon. The outbreak starts in forest ontario, and the avengers are amassed at the U.S./canada border in Minnesota, meaning the Brandon they are speaking of is the one in Manitoba... Yet Sasquatch says by the end of the week the entire province will be overrun forgetting that forest and Brandon are in two entirely seperate provinces. Oh and neither ontario or Manitoba are said once despite the majority of the story taking place there.
    4. At the end of the day only the xmen help save the day, with guardian only able to be an alien chest burster because of the great beasts giving ThE XMEN (firestar, iceman, storm, and Rockslide) the power of the gods. So the beasts sworn enemies, alpha flight aren't worthy, but the xmen are geez.
    5. the only Alpha flight member beging given character development that's not negative is north star. Auroras love for her brother she showed at the end of volume 4 is up in smoke, puck cares more about sex then heathers cry for help, talisman cares more about sex than heathers cries for help, Heather calls being brainwashed and running off with her and macs child as a "rough patch", Shaman and Marrina are mentioned in name only, Mac cares more about staying sniffy at Heather for being brainwashed than her safety. Yes I know as an xmen book alpha flight would naturally be bit players, but i didn't expect the bit parts to portray everyone s negatively.
    Last edited by Phil; 04-18-2016 at 06:44 AM.
    "like Warren Moon before he defected, a perfect spiral!" - Eugene Judd

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee View Post
    Can I be entirely honest?....
    No! How dare you?! Death to honesty! Death to opinions!

I know Aurora can be callous, but for her to actually suggest that Talisman is better off dead than in a relationship with puck?
    I found it much the same as her callous comments about Bochs and his disability, so to me it was fitting with *that* personality that Byrne wrote.

They literally had zero chemistry or romantic interest for what I don't know the entirety of alpha flights history. Plus the massive age difference (remember she was 6 when Heather was twelve when Judd was pushing sixty) and him being best friends with her father makes this a very squicky relationship and also insults both characters.
    I thought that originally, but Byrne had them flirting back in #23:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AF23_a.jpg 
Views:	441 
Size:	282.5 KB 
ID:	5222 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AF23_b.jpg 
Views:	445 
Size:	276.3 KB 
ID:	5221
    I genuinely think Byrne would have put them together, had he continued on the book.
    And she's not much younger than Heather, really.

At the end of the day only the xmen help save the day
    It was their book, and their story.

the only Alpha flight member beging given character development that's not negative is north star.
    Because he was an X-Man at the time, and it was his book.

But again, all my thoughts.

The Erie Canal Warrior Alpha Flight

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    No! How dare you?! Death to honesty! Death to opinions!

I found it much the same as her callous comments about Bochs and his disability, so to me it was fitting with *that* personality that Byrne wrote.

I thought that originally, but Byrne had them flirting back in #23:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AF23_a.jpg 
Views:	441 
Size:	282.5 KB 
ID:	5222 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AF23_b.jpg 
Views:	445 
Size:	276.3 KB 
ID:	5221
    I genuinely think Byrne would have put them together, had he continued on the book.
    And she's not much younger than Heather, really.

It was their book, and their story.

Because he was an X-Man at the time, and it was his book.

But again, all my thoughts.
    After rereading it, I realized I was a bit harsh on it. The second read through it was actually quite enjoyable, once I put the character regression of Aurora (remember Byrnes Aurora hadn't ben around since 1985 or 6!) and the stupid stupid relationship of talisman and puck( it's more squicky because it's his best friends daughter and less the age difference. and both being close friends with Heather, neither one of them would have let the phone keep ringing so they could bang! And I disagree on the almighty Byrne ever actually would put the two together. Remember it was Byrnes shaman that told Byrnes puck that once byrnes Heather got over Byrnes macs death, that he should accept the task of being heathers romantic interest. It was mantalo that had her spurn pucks advances and go to Jefferies. If Byrne had stayed he would have put puck with Heather. But I guess mantalo couldn't have his female lead dating a dwarf!) behind me I found it a good read p, particullarly because it has my fav xmen colossus kicking butt!
    "like Warren Moon before he defected, a perfect spiral!" - Eugene Judd

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Default The YANKEE error

Captain Marvel/Carol Danvers is now the leader of Alpha Flight. This isn't my opinion or conjecture; it is fact. Which means that neither Mac/Guardian nor "Heather"/Vindicator currently lead Alpha Flight. Judd, Aurora, and 'Squatch are with Captain Marvel, while Shaman and Talisman are in Dr. Strange's book. I don't know where Northstar, Snowbird, or Marrina are. This is the direction that MARVEL has chosen to take, and if it has been done to attract a new(er) audience, then it is a good business decision. The best thing about the MANTLO era was brought out in AF#66: it knows Alpha Flight is a comic book, a form of entertainment, it doesn't try to be anything other than that, and it doesn't take itself too seriously.
    Last edited by Phil; 04-18-2016 at 06:46 AM.