Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: Alpha Flight To Return In 2015?

Agreed, Tawmis, the current MU is a huge mess. FF can make whole, entire planets, travel in time with no repercussions, create robots out of cotton batting, create portals in space and dimensions, travel faster than the speed of light, and yet can be outsmarted easily. Stark can travel faster than light speed in his suit, destroy whole battleships with his suit, lift unimaginable weights, create nano tech and microbes that can rewrite DNA in a flash, make stealth suits, has an indefatigable power source, and so much more super-incredibly brilliant things, yet has trouble with other industrialists. Avengers meet 'gods' who can remake the universes and beat them, they make a robot that is invincible but vincinble for the moment.

The comics are so, so far from reality that they make no sense. They're all so incredibly brilliant but can't stop world hunger, identify IEDs before they are used, common people still fly United, ocean liners still sink, planes still crash, bad guys still cause havoc. It's as if the writers just go and say, "Iron Man and the FF don't have the time to spend saving lives or improving lives, they're too elitist". Who isn't so brilliant as to not be so elitist? Spider-Man is 100x smarter than Einstein, Banner even smarter, FF and Stark smarter still. I can't read such drivel, it's so far removed from reality. Such geniuses and they can't do anything at all to make the world better??? A reboot is the only thing that'll bring back readers, end the idiocy.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tawmis View Post
    Wasn't there a whole discussion about whether or not Marvel was going to "reboot" their universe somewhere around here?

I am all for it - if they do it right.

Although, the current standing of their Marvel Universe is horrible.
    The problem, as I see it, is that the same people who are in charge of the current standing would also be in charge of the reboot.

~ LM
    "Most people would succeed in small things if they were not troubled with great ambitions."
    ~ Henry Longfellow

Quote Originally Posted by Tawmis View Post
    Although, the current standing of their Marvel Universe is horrible.
    One man's horrible is another man's amazing though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mokole View Post
    The comics are so, so far from reality that they make no sense.
    Are you saying that gaining super-powers from a radioactive spider bite isn't far from reality?
    I'd say the exact opposite and that today's comics are nearer reality than ever. And maybe that's the problem.

Such geniuses and they can't do anything at all to make the world better???

If the world was better there'd be no stories to tell.
    The whole point of superhero comics is good vs evil. There has to be an imperfect world that resembles the readers.
    The whole point of the MU being set in actual cities such as NY etc. rather than DC's Metropolis etc. is so that readers can identify with things.
    If you create a world cured of hunger and disease and terrorism that detracts from that initial point. There has to be some reality to it.

A reboot is the only thing that'll bring back readers, end the idiocy.

Yet DC's reboot didn't bring back readers.
    Last edited by Phil; 01-13-2015 at 05:55 AM.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Are you saying that gaining super-powers from a radioactive spider bite isn't far from reality?
    I'd say the exact opposite and that today's comics are nearer reality than ever. And maybe that's the problem.
    Agreed!!!!!!!

The whole point of superhero comics is good vs evil. There has to be an imperfect world that resembles the readers.
    But I'd also say that's part of the problem; the creators are trying so hard for imperfect for so long, it's no longer good vs. evil; it's 'good' vs 'good'.

Yet DC's reboot didn't bring back readers.
    To be fair, Tawmis asked for a well-done reboot. DC's felt more like a cash grab than a genuine attempt to tell good stories.
    And they brought 90s sensibilities back.

~ Le Messor
    "The best thing about the future is that it only comes one day at a time."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

Images

They're certainly talking in a way that'd make sense if they reset the universe.
    But also if they didn't.

Is it just me, or is the Alex Ross painting all Avengers? (I don't necessarily recognise all of them.)

~ Le Messor
    "A man without mirth is like a wagon without springs, in which one is caused disagreeably to jolt by every pebble over which it runs."
    ~ Henry W. Beecher

I stand by what I said before. So what if Parker gained powers from a radioactive spider bite? It's a comic. But then they go and do all this "real-world" stuff (more ethnicity, more use of real-life stories, more trying to make heroes like your neighbour), then try and show how wonderful their main characters are, so ultra-brilliant, then turn around and say how rich Stark is, how smart, yet he always loses money, loses his company, and can't use his knowledge to build cheap iron man suits for bomb detonators, miners, volcano divers, whatever. I can't buy a book that makes the FF and Stark out to be so smart, so powerful, so rich, but shows they can't make anything to make money from the masses, they can't make smart cars to save lives, and so on. Sure, Parker got bit and is Spider-Man but he has powers, he uses powers from the bite, it is fluid though you have to suspend reality. But it's a comic. But asking me to believe your stories are routed in the real world, these are real people who are fantastic, then have them be so incredibly smart and unable to do anything useful??? That is why I don't read anymore and my boys have given up. They want stories, action, fluidity, humour, not uber-smart god-like people running around talking honour and valour yet being outsmarted by kids with iPods blowing up reality. Marvel is basically about two worlds mostly, an uber-ultra-reality where anything is possible and everyone is smart and beautiful but gullible, and a 100% ignorant world the rest of Marvel lives in, completely unaware of the possibilities.

Images

Mokole, when you put it that way, I completely agree with you.

Any disagreement I had stems from my disillusionment with the current push for realism - where people reading comics (or fantasy books, or any such thing) seem to have the attitude 'so, you want stories about dragons, about guys who fly under their own power, about guys who can punch holes in mountains by looking at them, about alien fish-women... Clearly, the A-#1 priority, the one thing you must absolutely want above all else, is REALISM!!!'.

Honestly, I embraced that trend at first - it was such a relief after the Dark Disney style of the 90s (where everything was drawn all cartoonish, then coloured black) - but it got real old real fast.

It's worse when people define 'realism' to mean 'cynical, depressing, unpleasant, mean-spirited, nasty, unheroic, only two colours and those dark and dull', etc...
    Sure, most of those things happen - but so do the opposites. And that's what I'd rather read about (or read stories based in).

~ Le Messor
    "A half truth is a whole lie."
    ~ Yiddish Proverb

Extremely wishful thinking but it would be cool if, while the Avengers are off in Secret Wars, some Alpha Flight members would help make up a new Avengers team, hyping them up for a while before getting a new book. I know. It'll never happen...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	All-New_All-Different_Avengers-720x1092.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	4647
    Last edited by Phil; 01-20-2015 at 04:26 PM.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Canucklehead View Post
    Extremely wishful thinking but it would be cool if, while the Avengers are off in Secret Wars, some Alpha Flight members would help make up a new Avengers team, hyping them up for a while before getting a new book. I know. It'll never happen...
    That would be cool... but then I remember what they did the last time all the Avengers disappeared, during Heroes Reborn.

~ Le Messor
    "Only those who dare to fall greatly can ever achieve greatly."
    ~ Robert F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    That would be cool... but then I remember what they did the last time all the Avengers disappeared, during Heroes Reborn.
    Ah yes. Also the last time any real Alpha Flight members appeared in an Avengers book, they were "welcomed" by Michael Pointer...

I've always thought Sasquatch, Shaman or Talisman would make great avengers!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sypes View Post
    I've always thought Sasquatch, Shaman or Talisman would make great avengers!
    In Avengers Forever, Sasquatch was an alternate reality member. (Cameo, no lines.)

Well, if All-New, All-Different applies the same way it did to X-Men back in the day then we could see an international team of Avengers so we might see a Canadian in it...?