Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Alpha Flight Movie?!

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Aren't all the live-action rights tied up together? In somebody's basement?
    Okay, maybe not the latter, but doesn't not having the movie rights also mean not having the live-action TV series rights?
    That's my vague understanding, but I haven't looked into this enough to be sure.

I also think The New Warriors and Cloak and Dagger would make great additions to MCU. Runaways, of course, Darkhawk... Probably a few adults, as well.

~ Le Messor
    "An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field."
    ~ Niels Bohr

Whoever has one has the other.

We just still don't know who that is.

Images

That's what I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Is he though? Daredevil had never fought Kingpin until 1981's #170.
    Perhaps, but thirty years later you ask people who Daredevil's main nemesis is and they'd tell you the Kingpin. He has become so strongly associated with Daredevil at this point who would think it hasn't always been this way right from the start.

Whoever has one has the other.

We just still don't know who that is.
    Not necessarily. The TV rights can be sold separately from the movie rights as well as the animated rights, but a producer will usually buy them all up at the same time. That being said, according to this article, Sony hasn't owned the TV rights to Spider-man since 2009, and this article leaves it up in the air as to where the TV rights to the X-men lay though I would put my money on Fox. However, according to this article, the animated rights to the X-men still lie with Marvel. This is why Marvel can produce straight-to-DVD movies using X-men characters without Fox being able to do anything.

Images

I've always known animation rights and live-action rights were separate; I just wasn't sure about live-action movie and live-action TV.
    Thanks, Legerd.

Quote Originally Posted by Legerd View Post
    Perhaps, but thirty years later you ask people who Daredevil's main nemesis is and they'd tell you the Kingpin. He has become so strongly associated with Daredevil at this point who would think it hasn't always been this way right from the start.
    Oh, don't get me wrong - I totally agree with you that Kingpin is more of a Daredevil villain than a Spider-Man villain nowadays (possibly because Norman Osborn & Kingpin are very alike), but there is a large generation of comic fans who will always remember Kingpin as a Spider-Man villain first and foremost. And I'd argue that Bullseye is DD's main nemesis over Kingpin.

Not necessarily. The TV rights can be sold separately from the movie rights as well as the animated rights, but a producer will usually buy them all up at the same time. That being said, according to this article, Sony hasn't owned the TV rights to Spider-man since 2009, and this article leaves it up in the air as to where the TV rights to the X-men lay though I would put my money on Fox. However, according to this article, the animated rights to the X-men still lie with Marvel. This is why Marvel can produce straight-to-DVD movies using X-men characters without Fox being able to do anything.
    It's a legal quagmire but I'd take all of those articles with a pinch of salt, especially the Bleeding Cool one. No-one knows exactly what the state is bar the lawyers. There probably isn't a definitive answer.

Oh, don't get me wrong - I totally agree with you that Kingpin is more of a Daredevil villain than a Spider-Man villain nowadays (possibly because Norman Osborn & Kingpin are very alike), but there is a large generation of comic fans who will always remember Kingpin as a Spider-Man villain first and foremost. And I'd argue that Bullseye is DD's main nemesis over Kingpin.
    You are probably correct about Bullseye, I was only arguing this as a case for why the Kingpin would be considered more of a DD character rather than a Spidey one.

It's a legal quagmire but I'd take all of those articles with a pinch of salt, especially the Bleeding Cool one. No-one knows exactly what the state is bar the lawyers. There probably isn't a definitive answer.
    Normally I would agree about Bleeding Cool, but reality seems to bear the article out. If Marvel didn't own the animated rights to the X-men then I don't think any of the X-men cartoons, Wolverine cartoons, or the Hulk Vs animated feature, that had Wolverine and other X-men villains in it, could have been made. Fox would have kiboshed any such production, or, more likely, Marvel just never would have tried.
    This is why I have hope that an animated AF show/movie could one day exist.

Possibly, but the original point was the TV rights which Fox definitely has, as evidenced by the whole Mutant X debacle a decade or so ago.

Possibly, but the original point was the TV rights which Fox definitely has, as evidenced by the whole Mutant X debacle a decade or so ago.
    The live action rights, not the animation rights.

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

If an Alpha Flight movie is ever seriously considered any time soon, I hope TPTB audition Zahn McClarnon for the role of Michael Twoyoungmen and Malaya Rivera Drew for Elizabeth Twoyoungmen and/or Katheryn Twoyoungmen.

Okay, so lets say that Marvel can't not use off of the members of AF that first appeared in the Uncanny X-men until Marvel sold the rights of the X-men, what AF characters does that leave that can be used?
    “God made only one of each of us. It's up to us to make the most of our individuality.” Kevin Max

Quote Originally Posted by Garry/Al-Fan View Post
    If an Alpha Flight movie is ever seriously considered any time soon, I hope TPTB audition Zahn McClarnon for the role of Michael Twoyoungmen and Malaya Rivera Drew for Elizabeth Twoyoungmen and/or Katheryn Twoyoungmen.
    I would like to see Adam Beach or Wes Studi in the role of Shaman. Carmen Moore as Kathryn Twoyoungmen and Ashley Callingbull as Talisman/Elizabeth Twoyoungmen.
    “God made only one of each of us. It's up to us to make the most of our individuality.” Kevin Max

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mekko Hotvle View Post
    Okay, so lets say that Marvel can't use members of AF that first appeared in the Uncanny X-men... what AF characters does that leave that can be used?
    Puck, Marrina, Talisman, Box (both Roger and Madison), Diamond Lil, Wild Child, and anybody post-Byrne.
    Some of those are mutants, though, and would have their origins changed.

~ Le Messor
    "An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last."
    ~ Winston Churchill

They should have used Patton Oswalt as Puck on Agents of SHIELD. Talisman could be a Inhuman.