Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Alpha Flight Movie?!

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

With WCA, most of the series was reprinted in Marvel Premiere Classics.

So, Phil's probably right - it's about keeping the collections selling.

~ Le Messor
    "Negative expectations yield negative results."

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor View Post
    With WCA, most of the series was reprinted in Marvel Premiere Classics.

So, Phil's probably right - it's about keeping the collections selling.

~ Le Messor
    "Negative expectations yield negative results."
    I think they're lazy.

Because if you look at the New Universe stuff, all of them only have the first 9 issues (DP7, Starbrand, PSIForce, etc).

And I am pretty sure there's no reprints of any New Universe stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Tawmis View Post
    I think they're lazy.
    It's... definitely a possibility. XD Someone's gotta optimize all those old comics for viewing online, I would imagine, so it's a matter of whenever they get around to having someone do it.

Quote Originally Posted by MistressMerr View Post
    It's... definitely a possibility. XD Someone's gotta optimize all those old comics for viewing online, I would imagine, so it's a matter of whenever they get around to having someone do it.
    Oh no doubt. And the redigitized comic versions are so vibrant and beautiful! No dotmatrix printers! It is pretty incredible when they do this.

20th century owns Kang? Really? I know he is supposed to be a Richards but he is an avengers foe

interesting they mentioned alpha flight in the article

I was wondering the same thing that was mentioned in the article. Could Marvel use Alpha Flight or at least non-costumed versions of let's say James Hudson, since they already name dropped Department H in Agents of Shield?
    "How do you know that my dimwitted inexperience isnt merely a subtle form of manipulation used to lower peoples expectations, enhancing my ability to effectively maneuver within any given situation."

So who really does own the moving image media AF rights then? Or characters?
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

No-one knows until they appear on screen; that's the whole problem...

Images

The basic lesson I'm getting from this is, there's no hard and fast rule about who can be used where - that characters and their rights were sold in a 'package', meaning there are lists somewhere of who can have who... But then, how does that explain Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch?

I do want to find out who owns Alpha. Especially if they have to appear on the big screen for that to happen.

Their idea of Namor's trajectory is a little shuffled, though.

How can Siryn be wearing a t-shirt on a day like today?!? It's freezing!!!
    (Yes, I really thought that! Weird how my mind happens sometimes...)

Love their mention of D-Man.

Speedball debuted in Spider-Man? I must've forgotten. (I can come close to guaranteeing I have that issue, though.)

~ Le Messor
    "Ball of confusion - that's what the world is today."
    ~ The Temptations

The way I read it, if a character came out of a comic book whose rights were purchased then the purchaser owns that character. That means Fox owns the rights to the original AF line up (since they first appeared in X-men) but not the rights to Department H, Puck, Marrina, or any other character who was introduced in the Alpha Flight books. That's why Agents of SHIELD can mention Department H, but not Alpha Flight, and why Big Hero 6 didn't fall under Fox's control. Hell, if AoS wanted to they could introduce Puck as a Canadian agent, or the Master as a villain.
    Still, I'd rather see an animated series or movie than a live action one. I like how DC is doing a lot of Justice League, Batman, and Superman animated movies straight to DVD. Also, they've produced animated shorts of other characters like Green Arrow, and the Spectre to get them out into the public's consciousness. If only Marvel would do that with some of their properties.
    Last edited by Legerd; 06-14-2015 at 02:45 PM.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Legerd View Post
    The way I read it, if a character came out of a comic book whose rights were purchased then the purchaser owns that character.
    The article seemed to start out saying that, but had so many exceptions and contradictions it disproved the premise.
    The Kingpin was in Daredevil before (?) the Marvel Sony deal let them have Spidey characters, for example.

Also, for me personally, half the point of a movie is to see what these characters would 'really' look like. Even the best of comic art (Alex Ross) falls just short of reality and still looks like paintings, not people. So I prefer live action movies to animated ones, and complain endlessly when they look nothing like their comics counterparts. :/

~ Le Messor
    "And the way to become truly useful is to seek the best that other brains have to offer. Use them to supplement your own, and give credit to them when they have helped."

The article seemed to start out saying that, but had so many exceptions and contradictions it disproved the premise.
    The Kingpin was in Daredevil before (?) the Marvel Sony deal let them have Spidey characters, for example.
    True, but it seems like the exceptions are those characters (like Kingpin) who became more integral to another title than the one they started in. In Spider-man's book the Kingpin is a villain who the hero faces now and again, but in Daredevil's book he is the hero's arch-enemy, the very personification of the corruption he is fighting against. That makes him far more important to the Daredevil property despite first appearing in Spider-man's book. Sony could make the argument the other way, but honestly, the fans would rather see characters that are more closely tied with Spider-man's heroic journey I would think. Not to mention Marvel/Disney would probably tie Sony up in court trying to hold on to the character rights, or (more likely) make a deal like they did with Fox over Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch.

Also, for me personally, half the point of a movie is to see what these characters would 'really' look like. Even the best of comic art (Alex Ross) falls just short of reality and still looks like paintings, not people. So I prefer live action movies to animated ones, and complain endlessly when they look nothing like their comics counterparts. :/
    Oh hey, I would love to see a live action AF movie too, but even if Marvel/Disney would be willing to make such a movie they don't own the rights to the characters. However, they appear to still own the animation rights since they've produced the Marvel Animated Features DVD Hulk Vs. which stars Hulk, Thor, Wolverine, Loki, Deadpool, Sabertooth, and other Wolverine villains as well as the Weapon X Program. Not to mention it would be far cheaper to produce (and therefor more likely to happen) since the animators and voice talent come with a lower price tag than live actors, real locations, practical and CG FX, and all the other large and small ticket items that go along with shooting a live action film.

Quote Originally Posted by Legerd View Post
    In Spider-man's book the Kingpin is a villain who the hero faces now and again, but in Daredevil's book he is the hero's arch-enemy, the very personification of the corruption he is fighting against.
    Is he though? Daredevil had never fought Kingpin until 1981's #170.

What If...? They did an Alpha Flight tv show on Netflix or Crackle, would all the rights still be in confusion?
    “God made only one of each of us. It's up to us to make the most of our individuality.” Kevin Max