• Civil War II: Choosing Sides #5 Variant Revealed

The Variant Cover to August's Civil War II: Choosing Sides #5 has been revealed, and as hoped it's Alpha Flight related. In a big way, that reinforces the team's Canadian-ness!

As reported by Metro News Canada the Variant features Aurora, Puck and Sasquatch with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, by artist Ramón Pérez.

The article features an interview with the artist, and writer Chip Zdarsky who has the following of importance to say:

Alpha Flight — formally the Canadian peacekeeping force — is supportive of using Ulysses to stop disasters and capture people, but there are also ethical conflicts within the group, Zdarsky noted. Despite being part of an international agency, the team feels they're "Canadian first" and seek out Trudeau for advice, he added.
    Comments 16 Comments
      rplass -
      http://www.alphaflight.net/showthrea...ll=1#post96273

Hmm. I don't remember CZ being so loving:
      Phil -
      As I mentioned at the time; that was humour!
      rplass -
      I'm thinking you were right. Well, you know me. I'm very sensitive when it comes to Alpha Flight! Any little thing and I go pouting for years.
      Phil -
      I never knock passion!
      Legerd -
      LOL! PM Trudeau being on the cover and part of the story will piss off some people I know.

Does Ulysses's only have the ability to calculate possibilities in the near future? Can't he make a prediction that the authorities could use to get a proper warrant to tap a suspect's phone/search his property/do a legit investigation? Doing it that way would be less like punishing a thought crime, and more like following up on a tip from a credible source. I would think most courts in countries that have some sort of Bill of Rights would throw this kind of case out due to it being a violation of person's rights if there were no proper warrants.
      Also, has the possibility of Ulysses lying so as to send the authorities after innocent people been brought up?
      -K-M- -
      I love it haha
      Mokole -
      Quote Originally Posted by Legerd View Post
      LOL! PM Trudeau being on the cover and part of the story will piss off some people I know.

Does Ulysses's only have the ability to calculate possibilities in the near future? Can't he make a prediction that the authorities could use to get a proper warrant to tap a suspect's phone/search his property/do a legit investigation? Doing it that way would be less like punishing a thought crime, and more like following up on a tip from a credible source. I would think most courts in countries that have some sort of Bill of Rights would throw this kind of case out due to it being a violation of person's rights if there were no proper warrants.
      Also, has the possibility of Ulysses lying so as to send the authorities after innocent people been brought up?
      Of course it will, but when comics use real political figures in their books I think they want the negatives, just to get noticed. And yes, I can see the new guy using his ability to get people he doesn't like in trouble, easily. Would be smart writing.
      Alphan East -
      Absolutely loving this variant cover.
      Being that his father, Pierre Trudeau, was in the opening pages of X-Men 120 and now he is on the cover of this one with members of Alpha Flight surrounding him... it has a weird and wonderful symmetry to it.
      Phil -
      The original artwork:
      Attachment 5371

And yesterday's Editorial cartoon from The Globe And Mail:
      Attachment 5372
      Phil -
      And a video discussing the issue:

https://www.facebook.com/CTVNewsChan...6011114126885/
      Canucklehead -
      Chris Hardwick showed the cover on @Midnight last night!
      Sasquatch17 -
      This reminds me of the Schwarzenegger movie the Running Man where Damon Killian orders his assistant to "get me the President's agent."
      Le Messor -
      Chip writes Howard The Duck (for now), so I'm liking seeing his name up here.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Zdarsky View Post
      Alpha Flight — formally the Canadian peacekeeping force — is supportive of using Ulysses to stop disasters...
      Is that meant to be 'formally' or 'formerly'... because I've seen them confused a lot lately, and in this particular situation they kind of mean the exact opposites?

It's cool to see Alpha on / in what will probably be a high-profile book, too.

~ Le Messor
      "I can change any thought that hurts, into a reality that hurts even more."
      ~ Daily Affirmation
      Phil -
      I'm sure it's going to push up the price of the Variant though!
      Le Messor -
      Oh, yeah - I remember that Nuke cover of Wolverine, with a Canadian flag variant.
      Very pricey.

~ Le Messor
      "I get enough exercise just pushing my luck."
      ~ Bumper Sticker
      Phil -
      For anyone in Toronto on August 31st:

http://www.beguilingbooksandart.com/...-alpha-flight/

Attachment 5427
      (If anyone is intending on going and fancies writing an article please let me know!)