• An Alpha Flight by John Byrne Omnibus Coming In February 2017?

Bleeding Cool have noticed an Amazon listing for a 1248 page Alpha Flight Omnibus to be released in February 2017!

The creators listed are John Byrne, Chris Claremont, Roger Stern, Tom Defalco, Sal Buscema, Steve Ditko, Ron Wilson and Mike Mignola which implies that the Omnibus includes the early Uncanny X-Men issues, Machine Man #18 , Marvel Two-In-One #83-84, Incredible Hulk Annual #8, and presumably Alpha Flight #29 to cap the Byrne run off. Bill Mantlo isn't listed, but this is an initial advanced Amazon listing rather than full details from Marvel.

Panini Comics released a similar Omnibus in 2014 that featured most of the above plus extracts from Secret War II #4 and Marvel Age #2 which only came to 800 pages so hopefully they'll be included too (with the Machine Man and Marvel Two-In-One issues adding to the page count) along with Incredible Hulk #313 and possibly even his relevant Official Handbook Of The Marvel Universe entries and covers to Marvel Team-Up Annual #7 and Alpha Flight#81-82?
    Or the page count could simply be incorrect.

Either way this is great news and something we've been demanding for a long time now!
    Especially with the Alpha Flight Classics Volume 1 being so hard to get hold of.

If the listing turns out to be correct it could be in Comic Specialty stores earlier, possibly as early as January, meaning we may hear official word and details about it in October.

Could this mean be a big push for the team in the future after Civil War II?
    Especially combined with the news of a softcover reprint of the Marvel Premier X-Men/Alpha Flight collection coming in November 2016:

We here at AlphaFlight.net will endeavour to keep you posted with more news as soon as we can!

(Please note: The article header image is taken from the Panini Comics edition and is not representative of an actual cover)

Comments 41 Comments
      Sasquatch17 -
      Marvel Two-In-One #84 Thing and Alpha Flight was the first comic book I ever bought.

The story takes place in Winnipeg and I remember as a kid thinking how cool it was that superheros were fighting in my home town.
      rplass -
      Awesome! Hey Sasquatch17, there's another Winnipeg scene... in AF # 8 - that's where Delphine Courtney recruits Smart Alec into Omega Flight.
      Human Fly -
      I think the second Gamma Flight where headquartered in the Peg, when Nemesis headed the group.
      rplass -
      Attachment 5321

Yes, that's right! See AF#79 for that. I love the all-couch headquarters. As if all Gamma Flight does is lounge around on couches waiting for Canada stuff to do.
      Le Messor -
      I love the all-couch headquarters. Can I get transferred there?

~ Le Messor
      "His ignorance covers the world like a blanket, and there's scarcely a hole in it anywhere."
      ~ Mark Twain
      rplass -
      Amazon now lists more contents:

COLLECTING: X-MEN (1963) 109, 120-121, 139-140; INCREDIBLE HULK ANNUAL 8; MACHINE MAN (1978 )( 18; MARVEL TWO-IN-ONE (1974) 83-84; INCREDIBLE HULK (1968 ) 272, 313; ALPHA FLIGHT (1983) 1-29; X-MEN AND ALPHA FLIGHT (1985) 1-2; X-MEN/ALPHA FLIGHT (1998 ) 1-2; MATERIAL FROM MARVEL TEAM-UP ANNUAL 7

and 3pg from Secret Wars II #4 will be in there too
      Phil -
      Hulk #272 is a nice surprise.
      X & AF seems an odd choice, timeline wise.
      'Material from' MTUAnn7 is vague.
      And there's no definite confirmation of the SWII #4 pages...

I might try and do a page count at some point.
      rplass -
      The SWII #4 3pg confirmation came from [the editor] Jeph York.
      Phil -
      Awesome! Have you got a link?
      Le Messor -
      Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
      It looks like they're trying to be fairly comprehensive, so I'm gonna say it's the main story, not the brief back-up that's in the issue.

~ Le Messor
      "I have gained this by philosophy: that I do without being commanded what others do only from fear of the law"
      ~ Aristotle
      Phil -
      Ahh, yes. I'd forgotten the back up.
      rplass -
      The SWII #4 3pg confirmation came from [the editor] Jeph York.
      Phil -
      Have we broken Rob?
      Le Messor -
      Not broken, just scratched.
      Phil -
      Diamond have an in-store date of February 1st for Direct Comics stores:
      http://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/AUG160992
      Garry/Al-Fan -
      Marvel should let the Mantlo era---which starts with INCREDIBLE HULK #313 and leads into ALPHA FLIGHT #29---stand on its own, and not graft it onto early-era ALPHA FLIGHT. Since the Hulk was pulled from an interdimensional "Twilight Zone" and since the team in ALPHA FLIGHT #29 bears more of a resemblance to INCREDIBLE HULK # 313 than ALPHA FLIGHT #28, the Mantlo run should be considered in its entirety...from IH #313 through AF #66, including the 2 AF Annuals and the MARVEL FANFARE featuring Northstar.
      Phil -
      Okay, so a page count gives me 1207 pages:

UXM #109: Cover + 17 + Letters Page = 19
      UXM #120: Cover + 17 + Letters Page = 19
      UXM #121: Cover + 17 + Letters Page = 19
      UXM #139: Cover + 22 + Letters Page = 24
      UXM #140: Cover + 22 + Letters Page = 24

#1: Cover + 38 + Letters Page = 40
      #2: Cover + 17 + 5 = 23
      #3: Cover + 17 + 5 + Pin-Up = 24
      #4: Cover + 22 = 23
      #5: Cover + 17 + 5 = 23
      #6: Cover + 16 + 6 = 23
      #7: Cover + 15 + 7 + Letters Page = 24
      #8: Cover + 17 + 5 + Letters Page = 24
      #9: Cover + 14 + 8 = 23
      #10: Cover + 17 + 5 + Letters Page = 24
      #11: Cover + 12 + 9 + Ad + Letters Page = 24
      #12: Cover + 38 + Letters Page = 40
      #13: Cover + 22 + Letters Page = 24
      #14: Cover + 22 + Letters Page = 24
      #15: Cover + 22 + Letters Page + Ad = 25
      #16: Cover + 22 + Letters Page + Ad = 25
      #17: Cover + 22 + Letters Page = 24
      #18: Cover + 22 + Letters Page = 24
      #19: Cover + 22 + Letters Page = 24
      #20: Cover + 22 + Letters Page = 24
      #21: Cover + 22 + Letters Page = 24
      #22: Cover + 22 + Letters Page = 24
      #23: Cover + 22 + Letters Page = 24
      #24: Cover + 37 + Pin-Up + Letters Pages = 41
      #25: Cover + 22 + Letters Page = 24
      #26: Cover + 22 + Letters Page = 24
      #27: Cover + 22 + Letters Page = 24
      #28: Cover + 22 + Letters Page = 24
      #29: Cover + 22 + Letters Page = 24

Incredible Hulk #272: Cover + 22 + Letters Page = 24
      Incredible Hulk #313: Cover + 22 + Letters Page = 24
      Incredible Hulk Annual 8: Cover + 34 = 35

Machine Man #18: Cover + 22 + Letters Page = 24

X-Men & Alpha Flight #1: Covers + 48 = 50
      X-Men & Alpha Flight #2: Covers + 48 = 50

X-Men/Alpha Flight #1: Cover + 32 = 33
      X-Men/Alpha Flight #1: Cover + 32 = 33

Secret Wars II #4: Cover + 3 = 4

MTIO #83: Cover + 21 + Letters Pages = 24
      MTIO #84: Cover + 23 = 24

MTU Annual 7: Cover + 34 = 35

--

So that leaves 41 pages IF all the letters pages and adverts are included. (More, if they're not)

I'd imagine there'll be some intro and then filler pages where double page spreads are on incorrect pages in this format, and possibly some recap/recount pages for the guest appearances, but that still seems like a lot.

Hopefully some of Marvel Age #2 and maybe OHOTMU pages too?
      Maybe extracts from the relevant FF issues booking ending #4?
      Garry/Al-Fan -
      Although Classic Alpha Flight volume 1 contains the essence of the best Alpha Flight, the omnibus could be the comprehensive compilation...if an explanation is included as to: (1) why Mr. Jeffries disappears from the story in Alpha Flight # 29 on page 13 and doesn't reappear until after the fight with the Hulk is over [on page 20]; (2) why a repaired Box---presumably the strongest member of the team---doesn't carry Mr. Jeffries or Puck into battle, and; (3) if AF # 29 is truly a continuation/conclusion of the Byrne storyline, why no mention was made of Aurora recovering from bruised ribs sustained during the "Dark Guardian" segment?
      Le Messor -
      So that leaves 41 pages IF all the letters pages and adverts are included. (More, if they're not)
      The X-Men Omnibi include letters pages (that's so cool!) but not adverts. I imagine the same will happen here.

~ Le Messor
      "I have the power to channel my imagination into ever-soaring levels of suspicion and paranoia."
      ~ Daily Affirmation
      Le Messor -
      Just to give you even more hope...
      I've got the Marvel Visionaries: Chris Claremont hardcover. In the table of contents, each story is listed as 'from' Comic, issue #. Which always implies to me excerpts.
      I've just gone through and checked every one I can (either by the original or another reprint), and none of the single-issue stories has so much as a page missing. (I didn't check the back-up stories from Classic X-Men or the annual, since I already knew they were excerpts.)

I realise that what applies to one doesn't necessarily apply to the other, but it's still a good sign.

~ Le Messor
      "I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go. My own wisdom and that of all about me seemed insufficient for that day."
      ~ Abraham Lincoln