• Carving Out A Place For Captain Marvel At Newsarama

Newsarama have an interview with the new writers of Captain Marvel, Michele Fazekas and Tara Butters, wherein they talk Alpha Flight, and there's an EXCLUSIVE first look at the cover for May's #5 by regular series artist Kris Anka:-

http://www.newsarama.com/27763-agent...in-marvel.html

The article seems to confirm that we'll only see the three characters that we have so far, echoing what Marvel EIC Axel Alonso has said, and also that Marvel were pushing for the team to be incorporated in a big way.

The interview is worth reading in it's entirety but the following quotes are definitely of interest:

Nrama: Captain Marvel #1 had Carol returning to space, but this time, instead of traversing the galaxy, she’s leading Earth’s first line of cosmic defense – the re-purposed Alpha Flight. Was using Alpha Flight something the two of you pitched, or was it an idea that developed with editorial?

Fazekas:
    That actually came from Marvel. They actually had worked out a lot of the big set piece things that they wanted to do. So Marvel’s design for this run was to really differentiate Carol and where she fits in the Marvel Universe. So, the Avengers protect Earth, the Guardians of the Galaxy are out in space, so we wanted to carve out a specific place for Captain Marvel. So she’s on a space station – they didn’t have what that would look like, what kind of space station – and they wanted to relaunch Alpha Flight.

Butters: For us, we really enjoy writing Puck, Sasquatch, and Aurora – they’re fun characters. And it’s nice to be able to give our own spin on them.

Nrama: There seem to be some interesting dynamics developing between Carol and Alpha Flight. She’s developing an relationship with Puck, in particular. Will we see her building her relationships with the individual Alpha Flight members as Captain Marvel continues?

Fazekas: Absolutely. The real interesting transition you have to make, and the problem we have – Chris Dingess, a writer on Agent Carter who also wrote a comic book called Manifest Destiny, would look at our scripts for Captain Marvel and say “You have too much story,” so we would pare it back and pare it back. And then we would have too much dialogue, so we’d have to leave room for the art. You have to get it down to 20 pages. So in our first issue, they said “We’re gonna give you two extra pages since there’s so much going on,” and we were like “OK. Thank you!” So you have to really concisely sell the characters, cause you’ve got plot to deliver, and action to deliver.
    It’s really funny how the Carol/Puck relationship developed.

Butters: We don’t now why it happened. They just play off of each other really well.

Fazekas: It’s fun seeing it develop over the course of our arc.
    Comments 25 Comments
      Phil -
      It also sounds like the writers are only on for the first 5 issues?
      -K-M- -
      That cover is amazing. Haha wait so did I call it? Puck and Marvel becoming an item or did they mean close ties

the days of one writer(s) staying on a book for an extended period of time are long gone
      Phil -
      I think they meant Relationship as a friendly one.

Carol's still with Rhodey, although I do reckon it'll be his death that causes Civil War 2.
      rplass -
      Join the Might that is Alpha Flight

HEAD ASPLODO
      mreeez -
      I get the feeling that decisions are being made with the movies in mind and they are claiming Alpha Flight for themselves and not Fox, who own the X-Men rights, as a general Marvel property and not an X-Men specific property. Now that they are part of Captain Marvel, they could possibly use the characters in a Captain Marvel film.
      -K-M- -
      I kind of hope the team stay just in the Captain marvel book and not have an ongoing. Yes, yes I know that sounds crazy.....but seems anything out of the core books is struggling and I'm afraid the team wouldn't fair any different. This way they still will be used and not fall into limbo and wait for a new "vision" of the team to happen

http://m.ca.ign.com/articles/2016/02...eled-by-marvel
      Le Messor -
      Quote Originally Posted by mreeez View Post
      I get the feeling that decisions are being made with the movies in mind and they are claiming Alpha Flight for themselves and not Fox...
      You may be right.
      It'd be awesome if we got an Alpha Flight movie out of this.
      A good one, I mean.

~ Le Messor
      "Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree."
      ~ Martin Luther
      Human Fly -
      I agree with mreeez. They are trying to get some distance between Alpha Flight and the X-Men books. They mentioned Department H in SHIELD as well. I wonder if Northstar and Jefferiess are too far in the X camp to get back?
      Le Messor -
      Quote Originally Posted by Human Fly View Post
      I wonder if Northstar and Jefferiess are too far in the X camp to get back?
      That and they're mutants. So's Aurora.
      It doesn't mean they can't show up (see Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch), but it makes it much less likely.
      Phil -
      I'd rather they don't appear in TV/Films at all, than have them not be mutants.

Being mutants is integral to their character which was one of my many issues with the Elves storyline...
      -K-M- -
      #inhumanretcon

i wouldn't be surprised if Marvel did that. As mentioned look at scarlet witch and quicksilver m.....their no longer mutants or the children of Magneto. Marvel did this to distance themselves from the X-Men series.
      Phil -
      But they're not Inhumans in Age Of Ultron are they?
      Just 'Miracles' as a result of experimentation?
      -K-M- -
      Just "miracles"...no explanation and apparently were further amped by the sceptre.
      Phil -
      Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
      I think they meant Relationship as a friendly one.

Carol's still with Rhodey, although I do reckon it'll be his death that causes Civil War 2.

On CW2:
      https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...t-civil-war-ii

Attachment 5080
      -K-M- -
      I heard the rumor war machine and she hulk would be killed. From the cover I guess that adds a little more credibility to the rumor
      Phil -
      Yeah.
      However, SH's in the #1 cover but WM isn't...

Attachment 5081
      Le Messor -
      Quote Originally Posted by -K-M- View Post
      Just "miracles"...no explanation and apparently were further amped by the sceptre.
      I get the impression they were created entirely by the experiments.

In a movie, they can simply not give an origin. People were suggesting that about QS and SW, but they glossed over an 'experimentation' one, but just having the characters unorigined would work for our twins (no mutant father), better than those two.
      -K-M- -
      From a comic book tie in, it was shown the Loki sceptre brought out their hidden power. That was the extent of it.
      Le Messor -
      Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
      Civil War II: SH's in the #1 cover but WM isn't...
      I just yesterday wrote to Marvel to tell them I'd quit reading Star Wars because it got crossovers. Once you start down that path, forever will it dominate your destiny.

Quote Originally Posted by -K-M- View Post
      From a comic book tie in, it was shown the Loki sceptre brought out their hidden power. That was the extent of it.
      As I said, it was an impression. Nothing more. I don't remember anything about it being a pre-existing power, but I've only seen it about three times, and wasn't always paying attention.
      Phil -
      Also on CW2:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/ar...g-dead-no-more

Attachment 5082

The use of Thanos means there could well be a cosmic element to it?