• Captain Marvel #2 Preview

Marvel have released a four page preview of next week's Captain Marvel #2 - the monthly title from Michele Fazekas & Tara Butters, Kris Anka and Matthew Wilson featuring Alpha Flight:-

CAPTAIN MARVEL #2
    TARA BUTTERS & MICHELE FAZEKAS (W) • KRIS ANKA (A) • MATT WILSON (C) • JOE CARAMAGNA (L)
    REGULAR COVER BY KRIS ANKA (DEC150764)
    VARIANT COVER BY MICHAEL CHO (DEC150765)
    VARIANT COVER BY PHIL JIMENEZ (DEC150766)
    • Between hosting a contingent of alien ambassadors, passive aggressive power struggles with her Flight Commander, Abigail Brand, and an insatiable itch to be on the front lines, Carol Danvers A.K.A. Captain Marvel struggles to find her footing on the new Alpha Flight Space Station.
    • To top it off a mysterious ghost ship has entered protected Earth space...And it's bearing the Star of Hala.
    • Talk about a rough first week on the job...
    32 PGS./Rated T+ ...$3.99

Comments 19 Comments
      Phil -
      Aurora with brains, Sasquatch with strength, Puck with the tension-breaking quips.
      Still loving it.
      -K-M- -
      Sasquatch knock please

To bad Aurora didn't have light powers or something they could use :P Other then that I'm so pumped for this series.
      Le Messor -
      Cool... Still hoping to see more team-members, though. At least find out what happened to them, though it doesn't have to be by #2.
      (If you guys figure out from this I haven't looked at the preview yet, only the comments, it's going to be very embarrassing.)

Actually, looking at the pages above, Aurora's powers weren't *necessary*.

Yet. If they lose those torches and Captain Marvel, then they'll need them.

~ LM
      swh_comicguy -
      I'm sorry, but why isn't Aurora lighting up this entire ship, so that everyone can see? Sure it would take away some of the drama the writer is trying to build, but come on that's her power!?!? Everyone has a light on their wrist, while she only seems to have the flash on her tablet. LOL!

I guess CM ripping a hatch off the abandoned ship only depressurized one compartment. What luck that all remaining internal systems including atmosphere and gravity generation seem to be working fine. Guess there needs to be a greater suspension of disbelief used here then I was hoping for. Would characters floating/flying around in space with their helmets on not add to the story, rather than detract from it?

Still great to see these three characters on the printed page, though hopefully Walter actually gets to speak a bit more and Aurora gets to use her powers.
      Le Messor -
      Looked like CM was using her powers as a light to me. Maybe Aurora doesn't want to tire herself out?
      Phil -
      CM's not using her powers either; they've all got wrist-torches.
      I'm gonna guess neither of them are using powers because of the close proximity of the ship, or because they don't want to damage any evidence or alert any unknowns on it, or something.

Most writers over the years have only used the twins as speedsters, only really using their powers when they combine and then it's a huge blinding concussive burst, so I'll let it slip this once...

I'm guessing the fact that there aren't bodies laying around/floating about is part of the story.
      There's a definite Alien homage going on there so it's a sci-fi/horror suspense/mystery plot element.
      Phil -
      Just got my copy.
      It may as well be called Captain Marvel & Alpha Flight!

And comments above are definitely answered.
      -K-M- -
      Loved the shot of annoyed Walter when Puck brought up aurora
      Phil -
      Yup, that was my favourite scene!
      Closely followed by the grooming one.

Also, I'd missed the line 'Alpha Flight's elite members' in the recap page above.
      Canucklehead -
      Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
      It may as well be called Captain Marvel & Alpha Flight!
      Wow, these three got more screen time then any issue in the last AF series.

You could have replaced the title character with a certain long-haired, red-head and this issue wouldn't have missed a beat.

I could definitely see a "Guardians of the Galaxy"-type movie out of this group.
      -K-M- -
      Yeah that amount of panel time and respect their getting is amazing. The writers have done a great job juggling so many different characters in a single issue.
      Legerd -
      So, I take it Aurora is over her phobia of the dark?
      Le Messor -
      Apparently.
      Phil -
      Easy fix is a new personality.
      Le Messor -
      Do we not have a separate thread for this issue itself? I've just read it...
      Phil -
      Here, unless you want to review it.
      Human Fly -
      Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
      Easy fix is a new personality.
      I’ve always liked that aspect of Aurora wish they would use it more. It would be a challenge but interesting to write and draw considering her superpower.
      -K-M- -
      Yeah in dark x-men she had 8 different personalities
      Phil -
      #2 is going to Second Printing.
      http://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/JAN168199
      On sale March 16th.