• Captain Marvel #1 Preview

Marvel have released a four page preview of next week's Captain Marvel #1, written by Michele Fazekas & Tara Butters, with art by Kris Anka & Matt Wilson, and letters by Joe Caramagna - the monthly title that features Alpha Flight:-

CAPTAIN MARVEL #1

MICHELE FAZEKAS & TARA BUTTERS (W) • KRIS ANKA (A) • MATT WILSON (C) • JOE CARAMAGNA (L)
    COVER BY KRIS ANKA
    [NOV150738]
    HIP-HOP VARIANT COVER BY MARGUERITE SAUVAGE (NOV150739)
    ARTIST VARIANT BY ADAM HUGHES (NOV150740)
    DESIGN VARIANT BY KRIS ANKA (NOV150741)
    DEADPOOL VARIANT COVER BY MARK BAGLEY, DREW HENNESSEY & FRANK MARTIN (NOV150742)
    COSPLAY VARIANT BY JUDY STEPHENS (NOV150743)
    BLANK VARIANT ALSO AVAILABLE (NOV150744)
    Face front, true believers! The Captain has made her return and oh, how mighty it is. It's a bold new frontier for Carol Danvers as she soars to new heights in her greatest mission yet—leader of the all-new Alpha Flight space program. Yup, Alpha Flight. As earth's first line of defense, Carol and her team aim to protect the planet from extraterrestrial threats. But can Carol be a soldier and a diplomat? Especially when an unknown enemy emerges that Carol can't quite punch. The superstar team behind Marvel's Agent Carter television series, Tara Butters and Michele Fazekas, make their comics debut alongside the awesomely-talented Kris Anka.
    32 PGS./Rated T+ ...$3.99

Comments 18 Comments
      Phil -
      LOVING that title.
      Even with the 'The'
      -K-M- -
      "Rise of the Alpha Flight". Woooooo. I asked this in the other thread but is Black Panther a member now? Seems like he has a big hand in this rendition
      Phil -
      I doubt he's a member, but he possibly finances/runs the team?
      The ending to SW9 was (intentionally) vague, so it'll be interesting to see if anything has been retconned through the ending...
      Le Messor -
      The superstar team behind Agent Carter?
      No.
      No, that's no good.

It had better not have that same 'how do I even get my eyes on a copy of this thing?' quality that Agent Carter has been driving me crazy with since it came out, since I really want to read this one!

~ Le Messor
      "Each of us will eventually give away all our earthly possessions. How we choose to do so, however, is a reflection of our commitment to the kingdom of God."
      ~ Charles Stanley
      swh_comicguy -
      Isn't it Jeanne-Marie Beaubier not Jean-Marie?

Missed that earlier.
      Phil -
      It was... maybe that's changed with the rebooted universe
      swh_comicguy -
      Guess that would be one of the handful actually made. Sorry but I found Secret Wars to be a huge let down and badly executed, per usual. How does an 8 issue limited series that started out to be bi-weekly, expand and turn into 9 months of torture? What did the extra issue add? At least they finally pulled the plug on the Ultimate Universe, after previous limited series couldn't commit.

The only other positive for me is that our favourite characters and team are starting to be featured more. That's huge, as the number of Marvel titles I collect has plummeted down to only 7 per month with the odd issues where Alpha Flight make actual meaningful appearances with dialog.

Yeah the new rebooted universe with Prime Earth instead of Earth-616 is hilarious. Tom Brevoort hated the use of "616" because it reminded him of DC's Earth 1, Earth 2 universes.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/01/...ic-four-story/

Heh wait a second... Prime Earth is currently widely used as the designation for the current (New 52) DC Universe's Earth. Guess Tom is a true DC fan after all.

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Prime_Earth
      Phil -
      I really enjoyed the main mini for what it was; a great Fantastic Four/Doom story; I wasn't convinced it needed to be a giant line-wide event though.
      I enjoyed a few of the nostalgic series' that came out of it though.

And I wouldn't take everything BC says as gospel, especially regarding Brevoort.
      rplass -
      Quote Originally Posted by swh_comicguy View Post

Missed that earlier.
      Ack, reminds me of this gem from back in the day:

http://www.alphaflight.net/showthrea...ll=1#post47884
      Le Messor -
      Quote Originally Posted by swh_comicguy View Post
      A friend linked me to an article about the issue the other day, and one of the commenters picked up on the same thing.

~ Le Messor
      "Education is what remains when we have forgotten all that we have been taught."
      ~ Marquis of Halifax
      Phil -
      Well, if enough people write to Marvel about it they may fix it for the TPB...
      Phil -
      The issue's out on this side of the pond... I'm not disappointed!

Review to come later.
      Phil -
      And as expected; it's going to Second Print:
      http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/01/...logan-and-more

http://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/DEC158638

Scheduled to ship March 2nd.

Attachment 5083
      Phil -
      The Second Printing fixes the typo of Aurora's real name
      Le Messor -
      Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
      The Second Printing fixes the typo of Aurora's real name
      That's... I'm impressed! Really. I'd never have expected that kind of detail.
      rplass -
      Also I notice this other Jean, which I don't think has ever been corrected:

Attachment 5261

That's from What If...? #79 (Nov 1995)
      Le Messor -
      Somebody was just confused because of her costume.
      Phil -
      Maybe a LOT is different in that reality.