• The Future Of Alpha Flight?

*This article contains spoilers for today's Avengers #0 - Please don't read ahead unless you mind having Alpha Flight's involvement discussed*

Last month it was revealed that Alpha Flight would be appearing in the pages of Captain Marvel, as part of the All-New, All-Different Marvel line-up.

Captain Marvel, being Marvel's premier female superhero at the moment is quite rightly appearing in various books, as part of the team of A-Force and The Ultimates.

The All-New, All-Different Marvel era begins today, and with it comes Avengers (2015) #0 - a 49 page $5.99 oneshot that gives 6 prelude stories to the forthcoming Avengers titles - Squadron Supreme, New Avengers, All-New, All-Different Avengers, A-Force, Uncanny Avengers, and The Ultimates.

The A-Force story, by writer G. Willow Wilson and artist Victor Ibanez focuses on Captain Marvel and gives a glimpse into the setting for Danvers' solo book.

In fact, the title is listed as 'Captain Marvel & Alpha Flight'

The story opens at the 'Alpha Flight low orbit space station' and we get shown various background staff who are clearly shown as wearing AF patched jackets

And that's pretty much it as far as AF are concerned; we don't get to see any existing characters or even get names for the background staff.

However, the story is quite clearly a Captain Marvel one, leading to events in A-Force rather than her own solo title, and it's a brief prelude as part of an anthology book so it's not cause for distress.

The story itself is definitely a well written, nice taster and sets the scene for Alpha Flight's adventures in space but fans expecting to see their favourite characters may be hesitant to spent $5.99 on it, especially with 4 covers.

It's definitely a positive that Marvel are pushing the title into this part of it's universe, especially with a Captain Marvel film on the horizon.

Captain Marvel #1 is currently scheduled for January 2016, with new details possibly revealed this weekend at NYCC.
    Comments 131 Comments
      Phil -
      The Hatchette catalogue for the next quarter is out, but the CM TPB listing doesn't add anything new:

Attachment 4971Attachment 4972
      cmdrkoenig67 -
      I personally think the Alpha Flight name has been appropriated for Captain Marvel's space flight squad (which is a horrible thought). Everything I've read seems to point to that. If it's true, it makes me a very angry fan of the genuine/real/one and only Alpha Flight.

Truthfully, the only viable space Alphans would be Guardian and maybe Vindicator (with their force fields). Every other member would need spacesuits. Snowbird's shapeshifting abilities would be useless in outer space, as would Shaman's magic pouch. Northstar and Aurora might be useful (with space suits of some sort). Puck's abilities would be hampered by weightlessness.

I still hope the name-stealing isn't true, though and that there is actual Canadian Alpha Flight content in the series....Sigh.

Dana
      Le Messor -
      Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67 View Post
      If it's true, it makes me a very angry fan of the genuine/real/one and only Alpha Flight.
      You remind me of Garry's sig.

Snowbird's shapeshifting abilities would be useless in outer space, as would Shaman's magic pouch. Northstar and Aurora might be useful (with space suits of some sort). Puck's abilities would be hampered by weightlessness.
      Assuming they're using their powers in a space-walk capacity. Of course, the only other time they'd be of use (because they can't work through spaceships / space suits) would be during a base invasion.

Snowbird could become a space whale (the kind we've seen in X-Men).

I still hope the name-stealing isn't true, though and that there is actual Canadian Alpha Flight content in the series....Sigh.
      Me too. Sigh.

~ Le Messor
      "Distrust is poison to friendship."
      ~ Christian Clippings
      Phil -
      The thing is, they could still pilot space-ships and work on the space station, or the Earth office, without spacesuits.
      -K-M- -
      wouldn't be that different from the Guardians of the Galaxy. They could still go to destinations

Puck is an accomplished pilot too so maybe he would be one of the flight team

Phil -
      The mention of AF in the Spider-Woman #2 preview made me laugh!

Attachment 4996

http://www.comicvine.com/articles/ex...2/1100-154518/
      Phil -
      Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
      The Triskelion will also host Carol Danvers's Alpha Flight, and the Wakandan Embassy.
      There's a nice little throwaway line in today's Secret Wars #9 that probably sets this up...
      -K-M- -
      "Our Alpha Flight"

i dig it
      -K-M- -
      So I wonder if Black Panther is a member of Alpha Flight now? Seemed to imply he was the one that created this new rendition.
      Canucklehead -
      Quote Originally Posted by -K-M- View Post
      So I wonder if Black Panther is a member of Alpha Flight now? Seemed to imply he was the one that created this new rendition.
      I wonder if that rocket contains (or is) the Alpha Flight Space Station seen in the new Cap Marvel and The Ultimates comics.
      Phil -
      The page in question can be seen at http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/01/...aptain-marvel/

Contains mild Secret Wars finale spoilers..