• Alpha Flight To Be Part Of New Captain Marvel Series? *UPDATED*

This weekend saw Long Beach Comic Con take place and a few whispers spread through the internet after Saturday afternoon's spotlight panel on Captain Marvel with writers Tara Butters & Michele Fazekas and artist Kris Anka, about Alpha Flight appearing in the title...

The fit seemed a strange one, and possibly a miscommunication of a similar named squadron given Danvers' air force background however we've had confirmation on twitter that the rumours are correct!

Captain Marvel relaunches in January with Agent Carter showrunners Butters & Fazekas, and artist Kris Anka who previously redesigned Puck for his Uncanny X-Force run.

No transcripts of the panel have been released yet, so we don't know who to expect in it, or to what extent, but with the Captain Marvel film on the horizon this could be the biggest exposure for the Flight in a long time!

Marvel solicitations for January are due in a months time, so we may find out more then, but failing that NYCC looks like the place to be!

UPDATED SEP 14th

Comic Book Resources have published an account of the panel with the following of note:

This mission involves Carol being on a space station above Earth -- with some unexpected teammates. "One of the things that's exciting about the space station,"Butters said, "is Carol is starting to be Earth's first line of defense -- on the station with Alpha Flight."

Though the writers couldn't say much about the Canadian super team's role, they did go into more detail about another character who will be appearing: Abigail Brand...
    UPDATED SEP 15th

Video of the panel follows below, thanks to Game In My Vein. Alpha Talk begins at 1:25 :

Comments 38 Comments
      Phil -
      So it sounds like it was Marvel Editorial's idea to bring Alpha Flight into the title, to bring them more into the MU.

I'd say they'll be fairly regular in it, at least to start with, maybe springing to their own title if the appearances go down well?
      -K-M- -
      That's awesome. I also think your right they are trying to move them from the X-Men lore to make them more accessible. Unlikely we will see them in their own movie, but maybe cameos?
      Le Messor -
      Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
      So it sounds like it was Marvel Editorial's idea to bring Alpha Flight into the title, to bring them more into the MU.
      So we've got those vultures working for us for a change?* Wow!
      * Meant purely as a paraphrase of a line from The Terminator, not a genuine insult.

Quote Originally Posted by -K-M- View Post
      Unlikely we will see them in their own movie, but maybe cameos?
      There've already been references, so maybe!
      Most of them are probably suitable in terms of origin - all but the twins, really, of the originals.
      Mac and Heather ≈ Iron Man, Sas ≈ Hulk, Shaman ≈ Dr. Strange, Snowbird ≈≈ Thor, Marrina's alien, and Puck is non-powered. So they've all got a precedent in the MCU.

~ Le Messor
      "Because learning does not consist only of knowing what we must or we can do, but also of knowing what we could do and perhaps should not do."
      ~ Umberto Eco, The Name of the Rose
      mreeez -
      My guess would be that the space mission involves the Q`wrrlln and that would get Mac involved.
      Le Messor -
      That could be cool!

I'm thinking, though, it's just them up there on a satellite, guarding Earth with S.W.O.R.D.

I added C.M. to my standing order yesterday.

~ Le Messor
      "Before God we are all equally wise - and equally foolish."
      ~ Albert Einstein
      after3 -
      add the title to you pull lists, buy two or three for your friends. tweet, facebook, and blog your asses off. the only thing they care about is sales and if they think AF will sell titles we`ll see them all over the place. thanks for the heads up AF.net. you guys are awesome.
      Phil -
      As a heads-up, apparently AF are in tomorrow's Avengers #0 with Cap Marvel, presumably as part of the A-Force segment of the issue!
      Not sure how much though.

Generic Preview is at CBR.
      There are 4 covers for it.
      -K-M- -
      Really? That's good news and great exposure. I wonder if they will appear in the Ultimates book as isnt Marvel a member there too?
      Phil -
      She is indeed!

I should have the issue in my hands in about 16 hrs so I'll let people know how minor the appearance is (without spoiler details)
      Phil -
      If people are going to pick up Avengers #0 based on the information I was given yesterday, they may want to check the article I just published: http://alphaflight.net/content.php?8...f-Alpha-Flight
      DMK -
      The main thing I take from the video is "SWORD is now Alpha Flight." Say what? How in the world does that end up happening? Canada's national super-team ends up taking over extra-terrestrial defense of the planet? I really hope they'll explain this...
      Le Messor -
      One of my first reactions was, 'but the Phase III movies have been announced!'. The article covers that. (Though I don't know the dates of the other movies, so I don't know if they've been pushed forwards or back. Technically, in this context, I don't know if forwards means earlier or later, either, but that's just me.)

Quote Originally Posted by [URL="http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/10/08/ant-man-and-the-wasp-set-for-2018-and-more-marvel-phase-iii-news" View Post
      Bleeding Cool[/URL]]Ant Man and The Wasp makes no bones about delaying Hope Van Dyne’s costumed debut any longer.
      Well, of course it makes no bones. Insects are invertebrates!

Quote Originally Posted by [URL="http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/10/08/ant-man-and-the-wasp-set-for-2018-and-more-marvel-phase-iii-news" View Post
      Bleeding Cool[/URL]]The company also announced three 2020 dates: May 1st, July 10th and November 6th. None of these dates as of yet have films attached.
      I love this! So, we'll be having those dates in 2020, will we? Interesting. And a movie company decided it? Not a calendar company?
      (There has got to be an Iron Man 2020!)

I know what they mean, it's just a very amusing way of putting it.

~ Le Messor
      "By ignorance the truth is known."
      ~ Henry Suso, The Little Book of Truth
      Phil -
      The First 5 issues of the series are on sale digitally for 75% off today:
      https://www.comixology.com/Marvel_Ca...ale/page/13151
      Phil -
      Well, looks like Danvers is leaving the space program - what this means for AF is unclear: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/02/a...ic-series.html
      -K-M- -
      Good. The Space program concept was a bust. I was one of the few who didn’t mind the change and was super excited about it. Really thought it would be so much more

after the initial volume the writing was not my cup of tea and I lost all excitement and hype
      Le Messor -
      There's a new writer as well, I believe.

Why is the New York Times writing about this?

~ Le Messor
      "The reward of a thing well done is to have it done."
      ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
      Phil -
      I don't think it was a complete bust; Puck, Sas and the name Alpha Flight probably have the most exposure they've had since the 80's.

I agree that it didn't quite stick as well as it could have, and the change in creative team probably added to that.

I enjoyed it on the whole, I wish it had been established more clearly how the home/away teams worked and that Danvers was only boss of the Space division, but I get why it wasn't.

And newspaper press releases are pretty common now, since the Disney merger, especially when they're tied to the MCU characters.